Jazz

Hearing that Lonnie Smith has passed, devastating if true :(

Update: BN confirms he has passed. Awful news, what a legend.

Blue Note's statement: "We're deeply saddened to announce that the great Hammond B3 organ legend Dr. Lonnie Smith passed away today. He was 79 years old. One of the funkiest & most inventive organists to ever walk the earth, Doc made his name on Blue Note in the late-1960s & returned home to the label in 2016 still at the peak of his powers. We were proud to bring this remarkable man's joyous music to fans all over the world. RIP, Doc..."

Love Nat, good on you!
I saw Nat Birchall live at Cafe Oto in Dalston, London last night.

It was a hell of a show and Nat had an incredible set of side-men, honestly one of the best groups I have seen. I was lucky enough to have front row seats (Cafe Oto is tiny anyway) and was able to have a long chat with Nat (about lockdown life and how he has been writing and recording to keep himself busy) and he even signed a few records for me.

View attachment 113271View attachment 113270
View attachment 113272

Last edited:
haven't seen this one discussed much, but since it's on Impulse! and newish, i'm really digging the new Pino Palladino + Blake Mills album. Has lots of great musicians on it (Chris Daddy Dave + Sam Gendel). It's a pretty cool mix of genres and has some experimental jazz vibes to it (plus funk/west african and cuban music inspirations).

haven't seen this one discussed much, but since it's on Impulse! and newish, i'm really digging the new Pino Palladino + Blake Mills album. Has lots of great musicians on it (Chris Daddy Dave + Sam Gendel). It's a pretty cool mix of genres and has some experimental jazz vibes to it (plus funk/west african and cuban music inspirations).
I had never heard of these guys, so decided to check them out. What an interesting music! It's kind of like small group-orchestrated-new age-rock. It's also interesting that they're on Impulse, because they're not really jazz; but like, who says Impulse must only release jazz music? Thanks for mentioning them, I'm enjoying the listen.

I had never heard of these guys, so decided to check them out. What an interesting music! It's kind of like small group-orchestrated-new age-rock. It's also interesting that they're on Impulse, because they're not really jazz; but like, who says Impulse must only release jazz music? Thanks for mentioning them, I'm enjoying the listen.
Yea--its such an interesting listen and very cool that Impulse! put it out. You're probably familiar with a bunch of the work some of them have been on. Pino Palladino is an incredible bassist and session musician. He's worked with everyone from D'Angelo to Nine Inch Nails to John Mayer to BB King. I think this might be the first record he has released on his own. Blake Mills is a fantastic guitar player and has been producing and playing for a varied list of musicians. He played guitar on Dylan's latest album but also worked with Fiona Apple and lots of others. His solo catalogue is great. And Chris "Daddy" Dave is one of my favorite drummers today. He plays with Robert Glasper a lot and has been pretty big in the neo-soul scene as a drummer and sideman. I've had the opportunity to see him live a few times (once with D'Angelo and once with Glasper) and he is incredible. Sam Gendel puts out lots of interesting jazz albums that blend with electronic I guess? A bit hard to classify his music but it's definitely jazz-influenced. And Marcus Strickland is on it as well and played with Roy Haynes later in his career. I think he is signed to Blue Note now.

I've been listening to the album non-stop for the last few days.

Finally got the VMP Mirror Mirror pressing and it sounds real nice! Really enjoying this album too—I wasn’t too familiar with it but do love me some Joe Henderson.

Yea I’ve been listening to this. It’s great!

Not sure if anyone here has watched the series Bosch, but just wrapped it up and have loved seeing the turntable/vinyl being a gentle touch any time they're at his house. Did a nice job interspersing it into the background, playing some jazz greats and having little one off conversations about them. He's got a great setup in an amazing house in the Los Angeles hills. If you're into cop/drama shows, it's one of the better ones.
FYI - finished Bosch last night. Damn fine series! (h/t @Matt M)

Very happy to read that a spin-off series based on a now-retired Detective Bosch working for Honey/Money Chandler that started filming this summer!

image.jpgJust spun this pick up I got from a local today. This was pressed by Alto Analogue, a reissue label I was unfamiliar with before just now but if this album is an indication their pressings are done RIGHT. Sound on this is huge and remarkably clear, apparently they were all cut by Bernie Grundman and pressed in Germany. If you see any out in the wild, take a chance! Also, went in blind on this album for some Bossa Nova vibes and this is certainly scratching the itch. The guitar passages here are delicious 🤤

Back