Jazz

I'm pretty pleased about this. WRWTFWW have also been doing awesome sounding presses.

@Skalap
Been looking at the Project Re:Vinyl that came out a while back, but it was always at least €50. Happy to see it's on WRWTFWW, they did a great job with the Ryo Fukui reissues. I might actually also get that shirt, love the design on it.

I know I’m like the only one, but if you’ve been getting Kamasi’s Throttle Elevator Music releases, I added Emergency Exit’s vinyl on cogs:

Also, Final Floor - the seventh and final album by the band comes out on April 9

I’ve preordered Final Floor, I’ll see if I get it. Amazon AU have a poor record with canceling preorders that I’ve locked in a a good price saying that the product is no longer available.
I know I’m like the only one, but if you’ve been getting Kamasi’s Throttle Elevator Music releases, I added Emergency Exit’s vinyl on cogs:

Also, Final Floor - the seventh and final album by the band comes out on April 9

Mainly one for the UK but if you dont already have the stellar Thelonious Monk - Monk Gearbox release its currently on Amazon for just over £13.

Amazon product ASIN B07FSRBWZF
Looks a good price. Just out of curiosity, how does this album compare with his other live albums? I've got the Palais des Beaux-Arts album and it's great, and I'm trying to limit my purchases due to lack of space!!

Looks a good price. Just out of curiosity, how does this album compare with his other live albums? I've got the Palais des Beaux-Arts album and it's great, and I'm trying to limit my purchases due to lack of space!!
I honestly think this is my favourite live monk. I also have the Palais des Beaux-Arts and Palo Alto but this tops them in my opinion. The actual pressing is great, AAA from the original tapes. I think I'm correct in saying that the tapes were recovered from a skip and when they eventually came to Gearbox they did quite a bit of work cleaning/restoring them before use. The session itself is fantastic and was recorded 5 days prior to the Palais des Beaux-Arts session, so there's not anything vastly different there apart from the track list.

For US buyers the $32+ (US) Amazon price ends up being a better deal if you've got free shipping. (Ends up being over $36 USD with shipping from Amazon.uk)

Amazon product ASIN B07FSRBWZF

I honestly think this is my favourite live monk. I also have the Palais des Beaux-Arts and Palo Alto but this tops them in my opinion. The actual pressing is great, AAA from the original tapes. I think I'm correct in saying that the tapes were recovered from a skip and when they eventually came to Gearbox they did quite a bit of work cleaning/restoring them before use. The session itself is fantastic and was recorded 5 days prior to the Palais des Beaux-Arts session, so there's not anything vastly different there apart from the track list.
Is this really AAA? I own the clear vinyl version but have never been wowed by the sound.

Is this really AAA? I own the clear vinyl version but have never been wowed by the sound.
Yeah according to Gearbox. I'm the opposite actually and have been impressed with the quality especially considering that its a live session. Compared with the pressings of the Palais des Beaux-Arts and Palo Alto that I have, the Monk release is miles ahead.

I have to ask - do you mean ever or just in terms of recent vinyl reissues in this new era of "new discoveries"?
Sorry, I meant in relation to the recent releases and others mentioned, the Palais des Beaux-Arts and Palo Alto. Although it's certainly up there there's just so many of the live albums that were released during his lifetime that I would have to properly sit down and go through them all to best judge.

Sorry, I meant in relation to the recent releases and others mentioned, the Palais des Beaux-Arts and Palo Alto. Although it's certainly up there there's just so many of the live albums that were released during his lifetime that I would have to properly sit down and go through them all to best judge.
Right - that's what I figured you meant. I mean, the new stuff is great and I have all of it myself, but it's tough to beat things like Town Hall, The Backhawk, Tokyo, The Five Spot, etc.

Are there any good current pressings of Love Supreme (upcoming AS ?) & Giant Steps or any other better Trane albums ?

ps I should add no 45 speeds pls

Last edited:
Are there any good current pressings of Love Supreme & Giant Steps or any other better Trane albums ?
I can't speak to how it sounds, but pressed at Optimal

For ALS, Acoustic Sounds series is probably still available and sounds pretty good.

Are there any good current pressings of Love Supreme (upcoming AS ?) & Giant Steps or any other better Trane albums ?

ps I should add no 45 speeds pls
This is an affordable KPG Giant Steps. I'm happy with it other than a Rainbo warp. There might be others from the same plates at different pressing plants based on the notes:

Edit: Damn, sorry I got confused by the listing. I thought you could still get them around $20. Worth looking around for at least.

Here's the first from RTI to also keep an eye out for:

Last edited:
Back