Jazz

Did anyone pick up this Herbie Hancock / Don Cherry RSD release? IS it any good?

Oooh I would like to know this as well. Its one of the only records I have seen plenty of stock available. I streamed a few tracks yesterday and it piqued my interest.

Just shared on the VMP Store thread, but looks like the Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto rights issue has been fixed. VMP are looking at an October release now so I assume everywhere else will have in stock around or before then!

View attachment 64502
Just to share here as well, an official statement from Impulse!

IMG_1863.jpg

Alright I need one more AP to round out my Acoustic Sounds purchase> I'm between the following:
  • Duke Ellington "Jazz Party"
  • Duke Ellington "Blues in Orbit"
  • Ahmad Jamal Trio "At The Pershing"
  • Helen Merril "S/T"
  • Miles Davis "Someday My Prince Will Come"
Any thoughts/recs are appreciated!

I have all of those except the Helen Merril.... they're al pretty great. Jazz Party is my favorite, followed closely by the Ahmad Jamal.

Its a really great set, well worth picking up. I believe the original tapes were given to BBE by the drummer, Roy Brooks', widow and from there they built up the story. The extras are decent as well, plenty of info in the booklet and if memory serves me there is also a replica poster from the original event. Theres hours of music on there and for £6 a record its worth it IMO.
Great recommendation. Wasn't familiar with this and after a listen through, it's some stellar stuff. Picked up a sealed copy for $50 shipped on Discogs this afternoon. Not bad for $10 a record. Thanks!

I contacted We Are Busy Bodies and was told the $6 shipping option to the US is sufficient. This is limited to 300 copies. I was checking out when I decided to act on that niggling feeling and discovered I already own the 2017 limited/numbered Jazzman pressing. But no, I don't have too many records... o_O

EDIT: Also learned that the mastering on this (from the 1/4 tape files) is exclusive to this limited pressing.

Last edited:

I contacted We Are Busy Bodies and was told the $6 shipping option to the US is sufficient. This is limited to 300 copies. I was checking out when I decided to act on that niggling feeling and discovered I already own the 2017 limited/numbered Jazzman pressing. But no, I don't have too many records... o_O

EDIT: Also learned that the mastering on this (from the 1/4 tape files) is exclusive to this limited pressing.
Cheers for this. I'd never heard of Winston Ngozi before and loved the opening track 'Yakhal' Inkomo'. Decided to put an order it, I thought shipping would kill it but the album itself was equivalent to only £14, so the extra £13 postage made the £27 total more bearable than I expected (and a lot cheaper than the Jazzman pressing on discogs).

Cheers for this. I'd never heard of Winston Ngozi before and loved the opening track 'Yakhal' Inkomo'. Decided to put an order it, I thought shipping would kill it but the album itself was equivalent to only £14, so the extra £13 postage made the £27 total more bearable than I expected (and a lot cheaper than the Jazzman pressing on discogs).
That's great! I'm hoping this will be a nice pressing.
This track's pretty cool also:

Alright I need one more AP to round out my Acoustic Sounds purchase> I'm between the following:
  • Helen Merril "S/T"
At the pershing is great fun, exuberant.
Someday my prince will come is humbling

Looks to be on Discogs for £32. I'm quite tempted myself - love Mingus and the only thing that stopped me was its high price (it's equivalent of £90 here in Norway). Always envious of @Selaws getting it gratis
I paid ~$45-50 and don't regret it for a moment. It's a very well done set and a solid value. The music is Mingus and so you have to go in accepting the full breadth of that definition -- but is a grand listen and a bargain. If I was just looking at value for dollar/pound from the same label... The JJazz volumes are amazing as well and I might tip to that on the same spend... But I also got all 3 so I'm no help and a bad influence.

• Helen Merril "S/T"
I have all of these and they all sound great! Baby Monster approves all of them! 👍🤝
✅✅✅✅✅

Literally can’t go wrong with AP pressings! Especially the latest ones like Ahmad Jamal Trio! That ones a favourite of mine! 💎

Wow, that’s good stuff. Can’t beat $22 USD shipped for something like that, I grabbed one immediately. Thanks!

This looks cool, $23 shipped for me too! Thanks 🔥👍

Here's another from the same label:

Last edited:
That Gene Russell RSD is SO SO good.

The pressing is a different story -- my side two is a pop-fest. How's everyone else's sound?

What's the consensus affordable modern pressing of KOB?

I thought I got a good one with the recent blue / black marble. Side 1 actually sounds really good but the b side has distortion for a few seconds at each track.

Back