Jazz

What's the consensus affordable modern pressing of KOB?

I thought I got a good one with the recent blue / black marble. Side 1 actually sounds really good but the b side has distortion for a few seconds at each track.

I would go with this, mono version, mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling sound & pressed at RTI. I think this is a true audiophile pressing.

These US mono releases are all fantastic and really cheap. I haven't compared (don't own) any MoFi or AP Miles Davis, but I can't see them being that different.

(I think it's worth going for US pressing, they are cheap enough. I seem to remember some of the MOV mono's might be using the same stampers, but can't remember).

edit - I haven't read this in a few years but it goes into some detail about the pressings & I seem to remember being very interesting.

I would go with this, mono version, mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling sound & pressed at RTI. I think this is a true audiophile pressing.

These US mono releases are all fantastic and really cheap. I haven't compared (don't own) any MoFi or AP Miles Davis, but I can't see them being that different.

(I think it's worth going for US pressing, they are cheap enough. I seem to remember some of the MOV mono's might be using the same stampers, but can't remember).

Thanks! I do see the MOVs garnering good reviews but I'll also check this one out. Any recommendations for a stereo copy?

I have Bitches Brew and Sketches from mfsl and think they're among my best sounding jazz records. Wish I had also picked up the KOB back then but I guess there's always a possibility mfsl presses more at some point so I'm not too worried.

Thanks! I do see the MOVs garnering good reviews but I'll also check this one out. Any recommendations for a stereo copy?

I have Bitches Brew and Sketches from mfsl and think they're among my best sounding jazz records. Wish I had also picked up the KOB back then but I guess there's always a possibility mfsl presses more at some point so I'm not too worried. I live in hope that mofi will do some represses at some point.

I regret not picking up any of the Mofi Miles, it's only recently I've purchased any Mofi or AP. I was never sure about the price difference to get them in the UK.

I got the MOV stereo version first (single lp), I need to dig it out and give it another listen and do a comparison with the mono. I remember being impressed with stereo, but not in the same way I was with the mono.

I'm not sure there is anything better that is available at the moment. Some other people might be able to point to an affordable historic pressing. I know there is someone on here who collects different pressings (can't remember who it was).

Michael Fremer has an article about the Mov versions as well:

I have Bitches Brew and Sketches from mfsl and think they're among my best sounding jazz records. Wish I had also picked up the KOB back then but I guess there's always a possibility mfsl presses more at some point so I'm not too worried.
I have both the Ryan Smith @Andy recommended and the MOV 2-disc (and only those two of KOB). I like both of them and have never done back to back testing of them. Because of issues with the tapes and the speed they were running at, and whether a reissue corrects this or not, buying KOB is a bit of a minefield. Some say the Mofi is great, others don't like it. Short of buying a 6-eye OG or 2-eye 2nd pressing it seems like there's not much consensus on KOB so might be worth taking the time to find one you really like.

I have both the Ryan Smith @Andy recommended and the MOV 2-disc (and only those two of KOB). I like both of them and have never done back to back testing of them. Because of issues with the tapes and the speed they were running at, and whether a reissue corrects this or not, buying KOB is a bit of a minefield. Some say the Mofi is great, others don't like it. Short of buying a 6-eye OG or 2-eye 2nd pressing it seems like there's not much consensus on KOB so might be worth taking the time to find one you really like.

I see MOV has reissued it a few times after the 2disc. Do we know if all MOV reissues are the same mastering?

I think I'll actually pick up both the mov and Ryan Smith cut to see which one I enjoy more.

I see MOV has reissued it a few times after the 2disc. Do we know if all MOV reissues are the same mastering?

I think I'll actually pick up both the mov and Ryan Smith cut to see which one I enjoy more.
Hard to say if the mastering on MOVs are all the same - but every MOV version (2010, 13, 14) all seems to get good reviews on Discogs. This is the one I have Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue FYI

What's the consensus affordable modern pressing of KOB?

I thought I got a good one with the recent blue / black marble. Side 1 actually sounds really good but the b side has distortion for a few seconds at each track.
Mine is the 2010 Sony Legacy -- also not too hard to find. Mastered by Kevin Gray at CA. Sounds great

edit - I haven't read this in a few years but it goes into some detail about the pressings & I seem to remember being very interesting.

Thanks for this!

Just flagging that Sam Records currently has promo copies of Nathan Davis Live in Paris and some repressed of Chet Baker in Paris, Vol. 3. Haven’t seen the Chet anywhere else with pre-orders and I bet that’s the last of the Davis copies.

MFSL KOB will absolutely be repressed. You can order it in the Music Direct site still so it is still on print. I believe if you order now it locks in a copy and you don’t get charged until it restocks. I think it’s $60 on there last I checked. All my Miles MFSL Sound awesome.

MFSL KOB will absolutely be repressed. You can order it in the Music Direct site still so it is still on print. I believe if you order now it locks in a copy and you don’t get charged until it restocks. I think it’s $60 on there last I checked. All my Miles MFSL Sound awesome.

Brilliant. I've done deep discount, acoustic sounds, and now I see there is 15% off at music direct. Of course I need to spend a lot to make the shipping worthwhile :)

Brilliant. I've done deep discount, acoustic sounds, and now I see there is 15% off at music direct. Of course I need to spend a lot to make the shipping worthwhile :)
Music Direct told me that any MoFi on there that says “awaiting repress” or “out of stock” will actually be fulfilled if you order it. It may take a few months but you will actually get the album. They also hold all copies until everything in your order ships. But I just got two awaiting repress/OOS items shipped to me last week.

Music Direct told me that any MoFi on there that says “awaiting repress” or “out of stock” will actually be fulfilled if you order it. It may take a few months but you will actually get the album. They also hold all copies until everything in your order ships. But I just got two awaiting repress/OOS items shipped to me last week.

Awesome. I'll definitely get the KOB, I'll work through what else they might have. Unlike Acoustic sounds, it looks like they give the 15% on awaiting repress, or out of stock items. (This week is proving to be expensive)

Awesome. I'll definitely get the KOB, I'll work through what else they might have. Unlike Acoustic sounds, it looks like they give the 15% on awaiting repress, or out of stock items. (This week is proving to be expensive)
Yea I dropped a ton at MD when I realized that trick. I ordered MoFis of Blonde on Blonde, Bill Withers Greatest Hits, the Mingus One Step, and some Grateful Dead stuff. It’s crazy how many MoFis I see on eBay, discogs, auctions, etc that are selling at 3-4x list price. You can also tell what’s getting an imminent repress because a flood of the same titles get added to eBay or discogs hah. Happened with Natalie Merchant—all of a sudden twenty or so copies got added to eBay for around $80-90. People just reorder through MD and sell their old copies for double the price

Yea I dropped a ton at MD when I realized that trick. I ordered MoFis of Blonde on Blonde, Bill Withers Greatest Hits, the Mingus One Step, and some Grateful Dead stuff. It’s crazy how many MoFis I see on eBay, discogs, auctions, etc that are selling at 3-4x list price. You can also tell what’s getting an imminent repress because a flood of the same titles get added to eBay or discogs hah. Happened with Natalie Merchant—all of a sudden twenty or so copies got added to eBay for around $80-90. People just reorder through MD and sell their old copies for double the price

Great tip

I have the RSD Version of this and agree it is great. I want to say I picked it up on Fremer's recommendation.

Edit: I meant the RSD Version appears to be the same plates as the one linked, if that wasn't clear.

Last edited:
Back