Jazz

I think it's hard to go wrong with AP pressings. I'd say they are on par with MoFi yet I know the mastering on MoFi can be suspect. I have around 15 AP pressings at this point (a lot of Jazz, Tea for the Tillerman and Pet Sounds) and think they all sound fantastic.

I agree with you. I have a handful of AP records and they all sound great. Tea for the Tillerman particularly sounds really nice. There is some crackling on my Getz/Gilberto but it should be ok after washing the record properly.

20 days to arrive in Sydney! Not too bad to be honest! I was so happy to check the tracking number and see that it arrived in Australia! I know I’m going to have such a funky afternoon the day they arrive on my doorstep! 🔥

I waited 3 months for my National box so anything under 1 month is ok for me know. But yeah, 20 days from Paris to Sydney is not bad at all, even more considering all the delays due to the Covid situation.

This is all super exciting stuff. Looking forward to listening to them. I dont usually aim to buy vocal jazz unless I find something at a carboot sale cheap, but I have been playing the Norah Jones a lot lately (streaming) and its fantastic!

This album means a lot to me. I think this AP pressing is the best version out there for now. I hope they will fix this bit of distortion at the end at some time.

This is all super exciting stuff. Looking forward to listening to them. I dont usually aim to buy vocal jazz unless I find something at a carboot sale cheap, but I have been playing the Norah Jones a lot lately (streaming) and its fantastic!
It’s a brilliant debut album! And I’m so happy it’s a record that means a lot to @Skalap ♥️

By the way @MikeH , I also really wanted to Donald Byrd - Byrd Jazz Transitions pressing from San Records too! I watched that video of them painting/hand screening the jackets and was like “OMG, I so would’ve paid the €100 for this”! Especially as I know it would’ve been a quality pressing on top! It would’ve been a masterpiece vinyl that would sit in the Kallax cube along with my MoFi One-Step pressings and with other Boxsets! 💎

Selaws, I ordered 7 records from Sam Records! After hearing about all the glowing reviews on Discogs and doing my research + the Donald Byrd Wax Buyers Club ROTM, I had to do it! I also sampled all the albums and loved what I heard from them! Cannot freaking wait to get all those records! 💎💎💎

Made this order last week from Sam Records!

DC9A6A1A-0540-4DD1-938D-576BE21B9637.png

Also left a note for Fred, saying he can ship all the second records together, when all the remaining records I ordered come back in stock on the 30th of July! I also checked out and chose my shipment to receive a tracking number and get insured! 👍

View attachment 58716

Also left a note for Fred, saying he can ship all the second records together, when all the remaining records I ordered come back in stock on the 30th of July! I also checked out and chose my shipment to receive a tracking number and get insured! 👍
Great pickups. I also recommend the John Lewis and Sasha Distel album at some point. I know I’m a broken record at this point (pun intended) but they are my favorite small jazz reissue label. That Monk album is awesome.

View attachment 58716

Fantastic set there buddy! Sam's has become one of my favourite reissue labels of late. I have been spinning them constantly and they all sound fantastic. The level of quality overall is amazing.

Great pickups. I also recommend the John Lewis and Sasha Distel album at some point. I know I’m a broken record at this point (pun intended) but they are my favorite small jazz reissue label. That Monk album is awesome.
Baby Monster loves a good pun Mike! 😉😈

Yeah, Sam Records looks absolutely magnificent! I want to date the guy who owns the label because I am in love with what they do and what they reissue! It’s all great! 👏👏👏

I saw the John Lewis / Sacha Distel - Afternoon in Paris, but it was sold out! 🙉😭

I previewed the two tracks on the page of that record and was so impressed, so I’d love to get my hands on them one day! 🤞

@Selaws - This is so random, but remember the guy on the piano at Joel Ross concert! He was the hottest guy ever! My table was right at the front opposite his piano and I was like “holy shit that guy is cute as” 😂😂😂

PS - I need to be play Joel Ross’ KingMaker on the turntable soon! VMP pressing isn’t that great but my copy still plays well throughout fortunately! ☺️

Fantastic set there buddy! Sam's has become one of my favourite reissue labels of late. I have been spinning them constantly and they all sound fantastic. The level of quality overall is amazing.
I can’t wait until I get the box with all those records inside! I’m going to be enjoying those pressings so much! 🎉

I’ve already got a Kallax cube dedicated for AP pressings, one for BlueNote80, one for Tone Poet Blue Note, one for VMP Classics, and one for MoFi One-Step (Miles Davis MoFi just goes in a Kallax with other MoFi’s and other records). I’m going to maybe share the Sam Records pressings in the same cube as my Wax Records Club ROTM pressings! 👌

My jazz collection is actually 🔥🔥🔥 and I am so happy and proud about it! 😊

@Selaws - This is so random, but remember the guy on the piano at Joel Ross concert! He was the hottest guy ever! My table was right at the front opposite his piano and I was like “holy shit that guy is cute as” 😂😂😂

PS - I need to be play Joel Ross’ KingMaker on the turntable soon! VMP pressing isn’t that great but my copy still plays well throughout fortunately! ☺
Hahaha that was Jeremy Corren on piano. I really really wish there was a decent pressing of it. I actually recorded the audio of the gig (on my phone, so nothing fancy and not the best audio) but I end up listening to that more than the record itself. I just find the random glitchy noises on the vinyl to be too offputting.

I can’t wait until I get the box with all those records inside! I’m going to be enjoying those pressings so much! 🎉

I’ve already got a Kallax cube dedicated for AP pressings, one for BlueNote80, one for Tone Poet Blue Note, one for VMP Classics, and one for MoFi One-Step (Miles Davis MoFi just goes in a Kallax with other MoFi’s and other records). I’m going to maybe share the Sam Records pressings in the same cube as my Wax Records Club ROTM pressings! 👌

My jazz collection is actually 🔥🔥🔥 and I am so happy and proud about it! 😊

Sounds like you are building quite the jazz collection there buddy! Very cool!

Hahaha that was Jeremy Corren on piano. I really really wish there was a decent pressing of it. I actually recorded the audio of the gig (on my phone, so nothing fancy and not the best audio) but I end up listening to that more than the record itself. I just find the random glitchy noises on the vinyl to be too offputting.

Sounds like you are building quite the jazz collection there buddy! Very cool!
Jeremy Corren is such a good piano player! The girl on the bass violin was absolutely incredible too! I loved watching her play, she was so connected to it, it was like the violin bass was plugged into her! It was such a great concert, I'm glad you recorded it! 👏👏👏

Yeah, my jazz collection is really nice! I'm spinning Sun-Ra's Celestrial Love right now and I'm enjoying it so much! I absolutely love jazz, it makes me happy and really appreciate music! ♥

Jeremy Corren is such a good piano player! The girl on the bass violin was absolutely incredible too! I loved watching her play, she was so connected to it, it was like the violin bass was plugged into her! It was such a great concert, I'm glad you recorded it! 👏👏👏

Yeah, my jazz collection is really nice! I'm spinning Sun-Ra's Celestrial Love right now and I'm enjoying it so much! I absolutely love jazz, it makes me happy and really appreciate music! ♥
Ah glad to hear Sun Ra sounds good, is it the VMP pressing? My copy arrived the other day, yet to listen to it though

It looks like there have been some issues with the release of the Palo Alto Thelonious Monk live album. Universal Music has announced that the release has been postponed, with no announcement of a new date, and the teaser track has been removed from streaming services. Some have speculated it may be an issue with the janitor who recorded the concert.
Update:

Question for all you audiophiles. Im thinking of picking up the AP Norah Jones on VMP (I have enough credit to cover 1) and just wondered how the pressing compares to the likes of the Tone Poets? I have never had an AP pressing before (tricky to get over here in the UK and pricey when you can) and just wondered if its worth the money?
I'm a very strong supporter of the AP pressings. Many are amongst my best (top tier) sounding records...and I've A/B run the Norah Jones and the 192 stream off Qobuz and well, the Qobuz is pretty good. It's one of the strongest digital versions I've heard. Note, my digital mght be better than my turntable right now (Mytek vs. Debut/Grado3/Nova iii) but it's also the only stream that jumps out at me that way and enough so that I'd advocate for possibly picking up a different title if digital is a strong option.

This seems to have gone under the radar, don't recall anything about this being posted here, new Charles Tolliver album through Gearbox !!

This seems to have gone under the radar, don't recall anything about this being posted here, new Charles Tolliver album through Gearbox !!
If any of you guys in the UK are looking to buy this, can I recommend you buy from Gearbox direct? As well as being a fantastic label that treats their roster really well, they are donating 20% from each sale of the album to a UK Indie Store to help them through the pandemic, and you can even choose which one you would like the money to go to if you have a preference.

Link to Gearbox here!

If any of you guys in the UK are looking to buy this, can I recommend you buy from Gearbox direct? As well as being a fantastic label that treats their roster really well, they are donating 20% from each sale of the album to a UK Indie Store to help them through the pandemic, and you can even choose which one you would like the money to go to if you have a preference.

Link to Gearbox here!

Not to take away from @Selaw’s rec for Gearbox but it’s also available on Charles Tolliver’s Bandcamp.

Not to take away from @Selaw’s rec for Gearbox but it’s also available on Charles Tolliver’s Bandcamp.

And for cheap, $25, on Elusive Disc for those in the States. Charles Tolliver Connect LP
Also, speaking of flying under the radar, did everyone see the the Chet Baker Riverside titles are finally being broken out from the box set from last year? Sorry if it’s been posted already: Chet Baker - Chet Baker In New York (180g LP)

Back