Jazz

Couple things, firstly I really hope Nubya's album is well received. I've seen her live a couple of times and shes really impressive and clearly loves what she is doing. Its great to see some female jazz musicians hitting the big-time as well, especially considering how male-dominated it is. Between Nubya, Cassie Kinoshi, Sheila Maurice-Grey, and Shirley Tetteh they really are killing it in London.

Also, I finished 'The History Of Jazz' by Ted Gioia the other day. Its a monster of a book (high word count) but really fascinating. When I started it I wasn't quite sure how such a topic could be covered in a single volume, but he does a really good job at linking each step in the life of jazz, providing cultural context, and short biographies of each musician he focuses on. Really great stuff and I thoroughly recommend it. I know he released another, much shorter, book called 'How To Listen To Jazz' which I will pick up at some point. Has anyone read that one?

I bought the variant. Tempted by the TP but bloody pricey and I managed to convince myself that I would (rightly) never play it anyway if I had the normal copy it comes with.

Signed copies as well, going with that one. Looks dope.

Signed variant here too. Might buy the standard black at my local when it comes out.

Signed variant here too. Might buy the standard black at my local when it comes out.
Yeah I meant to say that the signed coloured variant was the one I went with. I had the TP in my bag for a minute but realised how mad it was to be dropping that amount. Last time I did that I was a few pints into a Saturday night and followed through with it :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

Highly recommended. 🔥

Nubya Garcia - Source
If the two available tracks are anything to go by this album will be 🔥 as expected. Love what the dub track evolves into. great sounding stuff.

Mr Bongo have a different colored (also nice but also cheaper) variant :

Mr Bongo have a different colored (also nice but also cheaper) variant :

This is the Indies exclusive (limited to 1000). ;)

I recently picked up a few Sam Records titles and here want to promote 'Afternoon in Paris' by John Lewis (piano) and Sacha Distel (guitar). It's a beautiful record and many already have sung the praises of the phenomenal sound quality associated with this label. I haven't come across much jazz with guitar, but to my ear, anyone who likes Grant Green surely would enjoy this record. Barney Wilen on tenor sax also is fantastic. Have a taste here and then grab a copy while there are copies still to grab. Looks like it's sold out on the Sam Records site but Acoustic Sounds has it in stock, and I suspect there are overseas options as well.
I absolutely love Afternoon in Paris. It was one of the first Sam Records albums I bought after the Monk RSD box. I really like all the Chet albums too. I have to check out the Barney Wilen album too.

I’m so glad everyone is digging the Sam Records stuff. I’m always excited to see what they release next.

Hey yall, so I'm still rolling around in the OJC shallows, but I thought I'd pass along this little tidbit I picked up on. The current production OJC version of Sonny Rollins's Tenor Madness uses plates cut by Hoffman and Gray-- so essentially audiophile quality AAA mastering. It's also pressed at RTI, so it's pretty darn nice.

I also picked up a couple other Bill Evans OJC recent reissues. I'm like 80% sure they're digital, but they're pressed at RTI and sound pretty good for the price.
The VMP version of Saxophone Colossus uses the DCC plates too. But if you don’t want to drop $50 on the resale market, this one uses those same Hoffman/Gray DCC plates :

I think OJC is one of the best values in jazz records. A huge percentage of their albums are AAA. I always used to think they were just a cheap reissue label so I always stayed away from them. The only thing I’ve heard is that there are a bunch of them that Scorpio did knocks offs of so people should steer clear of those. I forget how to tell the difference though...

Some people say OJC switched over to digital at one point but Steve Hoffman says it’s not true. He said he worked on over 130 OJC reissues and they were all AAA.

I love Nubya's music, and I'm all in for this new record.

Anyone noticed the cumbia track on the tracklist? I know she spent some time in Colombia last year, so that must be where the influence (and probably even recording) comes from. I'm curious on how that track will pan out. I know she has the talent to pull it out, but I fear it could end up being a novelty pastiche.

Following on from the Jazz doc which was posted here the other day, here is another one focusing on Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Looks like it won plenty of awards when it was first released so hopefully its a good one (im starting it now). @Mr Moore I believe you are a fan of Rahsaan Roland Kirk if memory serves me right?

Back