J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

In the crates...

Junko - Junko Kimora - Audio Lab Record. ALJ-1045
Piano trio audiophilia of the highest regard. Is it a great session, Fuck yeah, Does it blow the doors off, Fuck no...but if you can get your hands on any of the Audio Lab Record. originals then you'll truly know what a good record sounds like. I like Junko, she's got a classic style, sure its a bit rote, but Kawakami-sans bass is pretty swinging and Donald Bailey sure knows how to hold everything together.

Audio Lab Record. catalog blows the doors of most of the TBM catalog but it's missing the stars, which is why you can still find these records for under $20 (sometimes). Be a good boy and buy more of what Okihiko Sugano is cooking.

Recommended.

CdJapan are great, I used to get a lot of stuff from them, haven’t ordered for a few years though, got some stuff from HMV but they aren’t sending down here at the moment.
I did, they just confirmed shipping this morning.

I didn't know they were a HMV store but will definitely look at them again. I can't seem to order anything from HMV Japan, I've struggled generally with Japanese imports in the past to the UK & often ignored a lot of Japanese titles because of cost.

I preordered some of the TBM titles from CDJapan. I've not used them before, but hopefully they'll be good
The way it works in japan is that the label solicits vendors, and when orders fill the production quota, the solicitation ends. CD Japn, HMV, and other major vendors have put in their orders, and when the order quantity allocated to online sales is sold out on their website, no more orders.

So if you have ordered online from Japan, you will get it. The vendor has reserved the stock.

CdJapan are great, I used to get a lot of stuff from them, haven’t ordered for a few years though, got some stuff from HMV but they aren’t sending down here at the moment.

I didn't know they were a HMV store but will definitely look at them again. I can't seem to order anything from HMV Japan, I've struggled generally with Japanese imports in the past to the UK & often ignored a lot of Japanese titles because of cost.

I preordered some of the TBM titles from CDJapan. I've not used them before, but hopefully they'll be good
The way it works in japan is that the label solicits vendors, and when orders fill the production quota, the solicitation ends. CD Japn, HMV, and other major vendors have put in their orders, and when the order quantity allocated to online sales is sold out on their website, no more orders.

So if you have ordered online from Japan, you will get it. The vendor has reserved the stock.

In the crates...

Junko - Junko Kimora - Audio Lab Record. ALJ-1045
Piano trio audiophilia of the highest regard. Is it a great session, Fuck yeah, Does it blow the doors off, Fuck no...but if you can get your hands on any of the Audio Lab Record. originals then you'll truly know what a good record sounds like. I like Junko, she's got a classic style, sure its a bit rote, but Kawakami-sans bass is pretty swinging and Donald Bailey sure knows how to hold everything together.

Audio Lab Record. catalog blows the doors of most of the TBM catalog but it's missing the stars, which is why you can still find these records for under $20 (sometimes). Be a good boy and buy more of what Okihiko Sugano is cooking.

Recommended.
I have Takeshi Inomata — The Dialogue based on the recommendation in this video about Audio Lab, and it does sound amazing. Unfortunately, I paid more than $20 (!) but have no complaints. One day I’ll pick up Side by Side, Kazuo Yoshiro plays Bosendorfer and Steinway, and I need To spend time exploring the label’s other titles.

The video host mentions that much of the content is derived from this article about Okihiko Sugano — and his background, recording techniques, work w Audio Lab Record and other labels, etc. It‘s a good read.

Last edited:
I have Takeshi Inomata — The Dialogue based on the recommendation in this video about Audio Lab, and it does sound amazing. Unfortunately, I paid more than $20 (!) but have no complaints. One day I’ll pick up Side by Side, Kazuo Yoshiro plays Bosendorfer and Steinway, and I need To spend time exploring the label’s other titles.

The video host mentions that much of the content is derived from this article about Okihiko Sugano — and his background, recording techniques, work w Audio Lab Record and other labels, etc. It‘s a good read.
interesting article...while Japan has been closed since the covids and I haven't been able to visit - the stacks used to be flooded with perfect copies of the Side by Side series for nothing so much that I never bought them as I was always searching for the rarer titles...

ALJ-1035 - Alone Together is just an incredible session
ALJ-1065 - Love For Sale might be one of the rarest and is a personal favorite - also the album cover might get a look or two.

HMV aren't shipping to the UK either. CDJapan has been my saviour

Belgian label will reissue two Japanese free-jazz record :

First is Seikatsu Kōjyō Iinkai - Seikatsu Kōjyō Iinkai and it's its first reissue on vinyl since 1975 :

Second is Takayanagi Masayuki New Direction for the Art - La Grima and it's its first release on vinyl :

I pre-ordered the first and I would be surprise if @Mr Moore do not have these records pre-ordered.

the two Ayako Hosakawa's on TBM that I didn't have just arrived...Call Me and No Tears.

still working through these but initial impressions - packaging is typical Craftman, top notch, like the replica Obi on the front. mine came with a cool TBM sticker and TBM catalog as well, maybe a disk union thing?

sound on Call Me is disappointing so far. I don't have an original here to compare. the orchestra is pushed way back in the mix, and her vocal is shrouded. Have to say this might be the worst sounding TBM I've ever heard. It's so unlike their normal sound, muted, soft...be interesting to hear other impressions. Hopefully No Tears is better as its a small group instead of a big band.

FWIW the translation on the web says its from the original tape. CRAFTMAN RECORDS

I honestly don't know why her records shot up in value so much, I like her tone, and her English rendition is quite strong but I don't get it, maybe they were always rare and that's why the prices...I much prefer Mari Nakamoto. just my opinion

the two Ayako Hosakawa's on TBM that I didn't have just arrived...Call Me and No Tears.

still working through these but initial impressions - packaging is typical Craftman, top notch, like the replica Obi on the front. mine came with a cool TBM sticker and TBM catalog as well, maybe a disk union thing?

sound on Call Me is disappointing so far. I don't have an original here to compare. the orchestra is pushed way back in the mix, and her vocal is shrouded. Have to say this might be the worst sounding TBM I've ever heard. It's so unlike their normal sound, muted, soft...be interesting to hear other impressions. Hopefully No Tears is better as its a small group instead of a big band.

FWIW the translation on the web says its from the original tape. CRAFTMAN RECORDS

I honestly don't know why her records shot up in value so much, I like her tone, and her English rendition is quite strong but I don't get it, maybe they were always rare and that's why the prices...I much prefer Mari Nakamoto. just my opinion
No Tears is better, but not by a whole bunch...have to say disappointed with the SQ here. If anyone has originals would be interested to get a take...It's not like they sound bad, but they certainly don't do justice to any other TBM recording I own and I own a lot of them.

Only recommended for collectors - these are not essential sessions or worth the price of admission. The session on Impex should be enough and that is a great sounding record.

just to make sure it wasn't my old ears or cart, I put on Mari Nakamoto III from the Think! series a few years back and its night and day - given very different setting with just guitar and bass, but literally everything was better.

No Tears is better, but not by a whole bunch...have to say disappointed with the SQ here. If anyone has originals would be interested to get a take...It's not like they sound bad, but they certainly don't do justice to any other TBM recording I own and I own a lot of them.

Only recommended for collectors - these are not essential sessions or worth the price of admission. The session on Impex should be enough and that is a great sounding record.

just to make sure it wasn't my old ears or cart, I put on Mari Nakamoto III from the Think! series a few years back and its night and day - given very different setting with just guitar and bass, but literally everything was better.

Weird. I've never had any issue with Craftman. I'll try and grab both if my local have them and will get back to you.

Coming June 18th for Japan’s second RSD drop:

saw this as well...Aketa's Disk is an interesting one. The few originals I have (picked up many years ago) are not great sounding records by any metric, the music is variable across, I think its become one of those 'collectors' labels due to rarity...not the biggest fan of Aketagawa-sans playing, but Roma in the Rain is interesting to me - very curious about sourcing and generally about mastering as many of the Octive Lab vinyls of late have been very disappointing sounding.

would love to hear more from anyone who is more of a student of the label/sessions than I...

Belgian label will reissue two Japanese free-jazz record :

First is Seikatsu Kōjyō Iinkai - Seikatsu Kōjyō Iinkai and it's its first reissue on vinyl since 1975 :

Second is Takayanagi Masayuki New Direction for the Art - La Grima and it's its first release on vinyl :

I pre-ordered the first and I would be surprise if @Mr Moore do not have these records pre-ordered.
Both of these imo are worth buying

Some may know Seikatsu Kōjyō Iinkai due to Thurston Moore’s top ten underground free jazz list from years ago.

I didn’t see any posts about this 180g/Wajazz “Wamono” release. I just ordered it. I think it’s in the same series as Wamono Vols. 1-3 even though it’s not given a volume number. As the title indicates, the music features the shakuhachi and koto. Sounds great to me, and reviews of the vinyl on Discogs are promising.

For Kikuchi, this one is like a Boots Randolph record!

The Muraoka record is superb. Thing is - look at what Japanese originals are going for. I paid around $60 for mine, and that IMO was fair.
I picked up the Takeru Muraoka record based on this and previous posts about it. I think I got the last copy being sold by HMV. It helped that the exchange rate v. USD has become very favorable, so price was manageable.

I agree that it is superb, both the music and packaging, and I very highly recommend it despite the high price. Vinyl is silent, and sound quality is generally excellent, although I agree w/ a comment above that the low end could be more pronounced.

I don’t have Kikuchi Masubumi “End for the Beginning,” but it is being reissued on CD in June (as is Takeru, I think), at a much lower price, and I’ve preordered that from HMV bundled w/ a few of the forthcoming TBM titles.

I didn’t see any posts about this 180g/Wajazz “Wamono” release. I just ordered it. I think it’s in the same series as Wamono Vols. 1-3 even though it’s not given a volume number. As the title indicates, the music features the shakuhachi and koto. Sounds great to me, and reviews of the vinyl on Discogs are promising.

I have Balades Sonores' exclusive edition pre-ordered and have to pick-up the record at their shop. I actually thought I had shares the info here but maybe not. It's indeed released by the same label who did Wamono Vols. 1-3 except this time master Yusuke Ogawa participated on this volume. FYI he is the one behind Project Re:Vinyl and Deep Jazz Reality series as well as Universounds shop. Not exactly a beginner :)

I picked up the Takeru Muraoka record based on this and previous posts about it. I think I got the last copy being sold by HMV. It helped that the exchange rate v. USD has become very favorable, so price was manageable.

I agree that it is superb, both the music and packaging, and I very highly recommend it despite the high price. Vinyl is silent, and sound quality is generally excellent, although I agree w/ a comment above that the low end could be more pronounced.

I don’t have Kikuchi Masubumi “End for the Beginning,” but it is being reissued on CD in June (as is Takeru, I think), at a much lower price, and I’ve preordered that from HMV bundled w/ a few of the forthcoming TBM titles.

You can't go wrong with Superfly reissues. I have all of them and all sound beautiful on top of a great packaging. Their shop in Paris is a must visit if you ever come to visit France.

This gem seems to have been repressed.

Back