J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

hopefully they expand out on some of the other titles....like some one the ones I'm missing, and I'm even OK if they do Green Caterpillar and Orang Utan and my copies lose some value - just great sessions that more people should be able to access on vinyl

I hope so. All of these had recent reissues on vinyl by Think Records. I wouldn't be surprised if all these recent reissues are reissued again in this serie. I won't mind as I don't have any of these and can't afford any OG but would love to see other with a first proper reissue. Three Ayako Hosokawa records are also reissued by Craftman. I already have one and am buying the two others.

FYI here are other TBM records reissued by Think :

I hope so. All of these had recent reissues on vinyl by Think Records. I wouldn't be surprised if all these recent reissues are reissued again in this serie. I won't mind as I don't have any of these and can't afford any OG but would love to see other with a first proper reissue. Three Ayako Hosokawa records are also reissued by Craftman. I already have one and am buying the two others.

FYI here are other TBM records reissued by Think :

I want Sailing Ice but it's pricey now. Missed out so hope they reissue that one.

I'm mostly just confused as to what pressings these actually are. Craftman Records has done some vinyl already of some of these titles but I think they were 45s. Take this one for example:

This is from the "From The Original Master Tapes" Series which is fantastic. Two comments there also seem to indicate that these were One Steps and AAA. Think! also did some 33s of these TBM titles back in 2016 for the Original Master Tapes series, but I'm guessing these are different since it's being done by a different company?

HMV japan listings. They ship directly to the US. Seems to be about $45 per title shipped (I preordered the 4 i was missing). Might be a little more for less albums.

I want Sailing Ice but it's pricey now. Missed out so hope they reissue that one.

I'm mostly just confused as to what pressings these actually are. Craftman Records has done some vinyl already of some of these titles but I think they were 45s. Take this one for example:

This is from the "From The Original Master Tapes" Series which is fantastic. Two comments there also seem to indicate that these were One Steps and AAA. Think! also did some 33s of these TBM titles back in 2016 for the Original Master Tapes series, but I'm guessing these are different since it's being done by a different company?
the craftsman blow up you refer to is a 45rpm 2x lp cut. they put these in redesigned gatefold jackets. they did that and Yama and Jiros wave

the craftsman blow up you refer to is a 45rpm 2x lp cut. they put these in redesigned gatefold jackets. they did that and Yama and Jiros wave
right. said they were 45s. was just curious why craftsman was only involved for those 2 in that series and not any of the others. i love the from the original master tapes series. should have gotten more when i had the chance!

right. said they were 45s. was just curious why craftsman was only involved for those 2 in that series and not any of the others. i love the from the original master tapes series. should have gotten more when i had the chance!
im pretty sure its just a branding exercise - I believe that Disk Union created Craftman to handle their jazz and higher end reissues where the focus is on replica packaging and sound quality - Think! still exists but is mostly for current/popular music. Craftman is the much newer imprint so maybe they wanted to establish the brand before starting.
The Mari Nakamoto above might be the best sounding of all of them...

im pretty sure its just a branding exercise - I believe that Disk Union created Craftman to handle their jazz and higher end reissues where the focus is on replica packaging and sound quality - Think! still exists but is mostly for current/popular music. Craftman is the much newer imprint so maybe they wanted to establish the brand before starting.
The Mari Nakamoto above might be the best sounding of all of them...
I didn't realize Craftman was owned by Disk Union. That would make way more sense. I'll have to check out that Mari Nakamoto album.

I didn't realize Craftman was owned by Disk Union. That would make way more sense. I'll have to check out that Mari Nakamoto album.
you used to be able to find the what were the last domestic vinyl reissues of most TBM records (PAP200XX Series on Trio) very reasonably and they have no real difference in SQ. They are less desirable to collections but if you're interested in the music, given prices there is no better place to collect.

you used to be able to find the what were the last domestic vinyl reissues of most TBM records (PAP200XX Series on Trio) very reasonably and they have no real difference in SQ. They are less desirable to collections but if you're interested in the music, given prices there is no better place to collect.
sorry, the reason I posted this is because I have the Mari record from this series that I picked up for almost nothing and it is incredible sounding

it's interesting to read that apparently a bunch of these craftman reissues are one steps. i just saw there's an Art Pepper Surf Ride reissue they did that's a one step.

i have the PAP series pressings of Misty and Girl Talk. They are nice. Got them for about $20 each a few years ago on ebay.

yeah, they are all pretty limited pressings, one and done it seems...I only have a few and they are all excellent, but they've done a bunch more out there stuff that im not really into, but is exceedingly rare. having them repress the TBM catalog I'd wager means copies of the original Obis (which the Think series did not have) if that kind of thing means something to you.

If I had any sense, I would stay far away from this thread....

Anyways, I'll share a few J-Jazz albums worth checking out:

Great list of albums here, i am looking for one of them still. I collect primarily J Jazz and found this forum just recently. Wanted to say hello. Wondering how many others are in the USA?

For those interested in Japanese Avant/Free Jazz, I cannot recommend these reissues enough..It is a total gift to have reissues of these.

1647106749680.png
Masayuki Takayanagi New Direction

Station '70​

Call in Question / Live Independence​

Deluxe 3LP Box Set w/ heavy chip board, textured uncoated paper wrap, black pigment foil stamping, three heavy inserts and Japanese language insert

RELEASE DATE: April 18, 2022

In August 1969, Masayuki Takayanagi formed his first New Direction group and embarked on an unparalleled musical journey that over the final 22 years of his life would define him as an uncompromising artist who would forge a visionary new musical language. Comprised of himself on acoustic and electric guitar and joined by Motoharu Yoshizawa on bass and Yoshisaburo 'Sabu' Toyozumi on drums, Takayanagi's group created a new unconstrained form of music; It expanded on the most radical, fiery elements of American and European Free Jazz, while refracting them through an avant garde prism. Harmonic and melodic development were rejected in favor of feedback and complete spontaneity. With New Direction Takayanagi had achieved a "decisive break" from the past and created his own revolutionary musical language - a ferocious, often violent sound that paradoxically took both musical movement and stillness to their extremes.

Takayanagi's New Direction soon recorded one of the landmark albums of free jazz and the avant garde, Independence: Tread on Sure Ground (1970). It was Takayanagi's first album as a group leader and nothing short of groundbreaking. As profound as it's release was, it was not until 25 years later that a wider audience would finally able to hear Takayanagi's vision with the group in its most explosive and unmitigated realization; Japan's P.S.F. records released two CD's, Call in Question (1994) and Live Independence (1995) which featured unearthed, previously unheard 1970 recordings made by the group at the legendary Shibuya Tokyo venue, Station '70. The recordings were revelatory; They presented nascent, jarring versions of Takayanagi's "Gradually Projection" and "Mass Projection" modalities in uncut, unvarnished long form. Joined on some tracks by renowned saxophonist Mototeru Takagi, the performances are intensely physical and visceral - each player creating a vivid self contained sound that at the same time merges with the overall group imperative to create something entirely new and beautiful. Yoshizawa, Toyozumi as well as Takagi would, in their own right, go on to join Takayanagi as iconic players in the world of Japanese free jazz and avant garde. It is these performances, in a crucial moment of societal and cultural upheaval, that would help lay the groundwork for the rich world of free improvisation, free jazz and, to a large degree, underground music in Japan for decades to come.

Later Takayanagi would write "It is improvisation alone that transcends genre and academicism to become music as raw, independent existence, the most unique living organism within a yet-to-be unknown". It is in these recordings that that "yet-to-be unknown" can begin to be heard.

Black Editions is proud to present the entirety of the recordings presented on both P.S.F. albums as well as a previously unreleased side-long Mass Projection in a deluxe, remastered 3LP box set. The set features the stark photography of the late Yuji Itsumi and presents the original liner notes by key Japanese music critics and historians Yoshiyuki Kitazato and Toshihiko Shimizu newly translated into English as well as in the original Japanese.

Pre Order Here

--

1647106783283.png
Masayuki Takayanagi
and New Direction Unit

ECLIPSE​

Deluxe heavy tip-on gatefold LP w/ matte black paper, second tipped-on metallic gold wrap and insert

RELEASE DATE: April 18, 2022

Masayuki Takayanagi was one of the truly iconoclastic musicians to emerge from Japan, or anywhere else, in the 20th Century. Though he won acclaim in the 1950’s and 60’s as a master of the electric guitar and jazz improvisation, Takayanagi was a restless spirit, deeply engaged with the era's new movements in contemporary art, music, literature and philosophy. His work, beginning in the late 1960’s placed him on the leading edge of these developments; he began expanding on the most radical elements of American and European free jazz, infusing them with the raw feedback and dissonance of electronic and avant-garde music. With his various “New Direction” groups, Takayanagi broke free of traditional structures and developed a new theory of music that embraced an aggressive and unrelenting style of playing that has remained almost completely unparalleled in its ferocity.

Of all the albums to be released during Takayanagi's lifetime, 1975’s Eclipse was perhaps the most enigmatic and sought after. Released in an edition of only 100, it almost immediately disappeared and became a Holy Grail for Japanese connoisseurs of adventurous music, and rightly so. It’s first side contained a two part realization of Takayanagi’s “Gradually Projection” modality – a searching interplay between instruments- slowly emerging from a sparse open field and building with the tension of a looming thunder storm. The second side contains an epic performance of a “Mass Projection”, a high energy, densely layered barrage of sound that in its 25 minutes, never once slackens its intensity. It would be another 31 years before this key album in Takayangi’s oeuvre would finally have a (slightly) wider audience through a CD release by Japan's P.S.F. Records.

Black Editions is proud to present a deluxe vinyl edition of this masterwork, revealingly remastered from the original tapes by Elysian Masters. The album is packaged in a heavy double tip-on gatefold jacket that pays tribute to the original handmade packaging and features a previously unseen studio photograph of Takayanagi by Tatsuo Minami.

Order here

Bundle for both here

Are these all sold out already or just delayed? Hopefully the later, I didn't pre-ordered any when I could.

Are these all sold out already or just delayed? Hopefully the later, I didn't pre-ordered any when I could.

They don’t come out until end of May. I think preorders have sold out at a few places already though…HMV has them as well

Seem to still be available at HMV, but they increased the prices. I paid 4,500 yen for each title I ordered on March 3, but they’re 4,950 yen today (roughly $4.20 increase).
that's the tax in Japan, if you get them shipped overseas they should take that out, although you might have to pay tax on the shipment here.

Back