J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

I have Ride and Tai (or Tie depending on where it’s listed) and Genshi Kyoudou Tai at home, just delivered, but I left town the same day so haven’t had a chance to clean/listen yet. Should be able to give feedback Tuesday when I get back.
cool...thanks very interested on SQ - and packaging as this is a new series - these should mostly be red vinyl as to duplicate the original, except Ride and Tai which was black....I met Hanawa-San of Judgment Records who is supervising these reissues on my last trip to Japan and he seemed very excited about the whole project so I have high hopes...there are also 5 more coming in late June, most too much free jazz for my tastes but they seem to be the order of the day

cool...thanks very interested on SQ - and packaging as this is a new series - these should mostly be red vinyl as to duplicate the original, except Ride and Tai which was black....I met Hanawa-San of Judgment Records who is supervising these reissues on my last trip to Japan and he seemed very excited about the whole project so I have high hopes...there are also 5 more coming in late June, most too much free jazz for my tastes but they seem to be the order of the day

There is one Mine that have already been reissued by BBE. I am really interested in Primitive Community and even surprised it is not sold out already.

There is one Mine that have already been reissued by BBE. I am really interested in Primitive Community and even surprised it is not sold out already.
yes...I'll be selling my BBE for sure, in fact if I could ditch all my 2x45 titles the entire world would be a better place....hopefully these all get reissued in Japan on 33

I have Ride and Tai (or Tie depending on where it’s listed) and Genshi Kyoudou Tai at home, just delivered, but I left town the same day so haven’t had a chance to clean/listen yet. Should be able to give feedback Tuesday when I get back.
hey sheriff - any update here, love to hear some impressions on SQ and value....anyone get these in yet? thx all!

hey sheriff - any update here, love to hear some impressions on SQ and value....anyone get these in yet? thx all!
Sorry — I came home and left again a couple days later and didn’t have a minute to spin records. I’ve traveled 3 long weekends in a row. Not remotely normal for me, but I’ve seen great music!

I just picked up this record and haven't played yet. I didn't noticed but they cut a track for the vinyl release and they cut the... title track. I understand that it could have been hard to justify a double LP and a blank side but still.

They are doing worst on Blue Road coming in June by cutting two songs (shorter but we'll, at least it would have been complete). Here they could have done better.

PXL_20230505_143202728.jpg

@bornard @Skalap
Both are flat and vinyl on both is silent, so basic mfr requirements are met 100%. Side 2 of Ride and Tai has some of that hazing that shows up on new vinyl, but it DNAP in any way.

I would say both sound very good and suspect you’ll be happy with them, although I think only one of you may be picking up these specific two releases in the series.

As I’m sure you both know, Ride and Tai is a live album and may play a little thin/bright, and I would not call it audiophile. but I think that’s in the recording. But it grooves, has pretty good range, and the bass slaps when it’s supposed to slap, and it has good presence.

Volume on Primitive Community/Genshi Kyodo Tai (I’m not clear what the actual title is bc it’s different on different sites) is low, at least in part bc Side 1 has 25 minutes of music. Side 2 has same/similar volume and a huge runout. PC/GKT is also warmer/more neutral sounding than Ride and Tai — not surprising given it’s a studio recording, and this seems to be relatively common with my JP reissues, at least compared to my OG TBM and Audio Lab releases. Again, I’m not certain it’s in “audiophile” territory, at least compared to my best sounding records, but, overall, it sounds great to me. Despite 25-minute Side 1, I did not hear any inner groove issues on my copy, although I wasn’t playing it super loud.

Lastly, caveats apply: you both have significantly more experience with and knowledge of J-Jazz and associated labels than me. Indeed, I’ve learned more from this forum (primarily from you two) than I knew before I joined. So pls read with noob filter set to “on.”

Last edited:
@bornard @Skalap
Both are flat and vinyl on both is silent, so basic mfr requirements are met 100%. Side 2 of Ride and Tai has some of that hazing that shows up on new vinyl, but it DNAP in any way.

I would say both sound very good and suspect you’ll be happy with them, although I think only one of you may be picking up these specific two releases in the series.

As I’m sure you both know, Ride and Tai is a live album and may play a little thin/bright, and I would not call it audiophile. but I think that’s in the recording. But it grooves, has pretty good range, and the bass slaps when it’s supposed to slap, and it has good presence.

Volume on Primitive Community/Genshi Kyodo Tai (I’m not clear what the actual title is bc it’s different on different sites) is low, at least in part bc Side 1 has 25 minutes of music. Side 2 has same/similar volume and a huge runout. PC/GKT is also warmer/more neutral sounding than Ride and Tai — not surprising given it’s a studio recording, and this seems to be relatively common with my JP reissues, at least compared to my OG TBM and Audio Lab releases. Again, I’m not certain it’s in “audiophile” territory, at least compared to my best sounding records, but, overall, it sounds great to me. Despite 25-minute Side 1, I did not hear any inner groove issues on my copy, although I wasn’t playing it super loud.

Lastly, caveats apply: you both have significantly more experience with and knowledge of J-Jazz and associated labels than me. Indeed, I’ve learned more from this forum (primarily from you two) than I knew before I joined. So pls read with noob filter set to “on.”
thanks! its true this series isn't exactly my cup of tea but I did order these two...how was the packaging? assume tip-ons with replica obi, and did they do red vinyl? thanks again for the update!

@bornard @Skalap

Thank you! I am expecting these to land at my local in the next couple of weeks so I'll share my thoughts as well when I have them. I am particularyly after Primitive Community so it's kind of disappointing if sounding is not the best. Of course I do not have an OG (see prices on Discogs) so I can't compare.

On a different topic, I took a couple hours this morning to update Days of Delight Discogs entries. I added the last three releases and pre-added the next to be released mid-may (not sure anyone will complain about adding a release that is not out yet). I also added all videos I could find for each release so you can even listen to full albums sometimes (mostly older releases). I again strongly recommended giving this label a chance as they put out some great albums by both old (think TBM erea) and today's musicians, sometimes playing together.

See (and listen) here Days Of Delight

in Japan for a bit and picked up a grail I had never seen in the wild, Isao Suzuki 'Mongolian Chant' for probably 15% too much but its just such a weird random album, that I've always loved how all over the shop it is, but an easy listen, no free jazz silliness ;-)

anywho, since I bet you guys have been raiding the Japanese online vendors over the past few years this is a public service announcement - I think they are running out...both quantity and quality is low for records that used to be everywhere...and prices are WAY up...

in Japan for a bit and picked up a grail I had never seen in the wild, Isao Suzuki 'Mongolian Chant' for probably 15% too much but its just such a weird random album, that I've always loved how all over the shop it is, but an easy listen, no free jazz silliness ;-)

anywho, since I bet you guys have been raiding the Japanese online vendors over the past few years this is a public service announcement - I think they are running out...both quantity and quality is low for records that used to be everywhere...and prices are WAY up...

Plexus Records, a record shop in Poitiers which offers a lot Japanese releases, started a blog about their trips to Japan. It's all in French but Google will help. Last time I discussed with them there were telling me the same as you All record diggers go there now and have been for years, prices are up, stocks are low. You better be lucky, have someone locally to hunt and find some personal collection outside of the big cities. Otherwise, same as Discogs without shipping, which is nice but not enough to cover the travel expenses.

Plexus Records, a record shop in Poitiers which offers a lot Japanese releases, started a blog about their trips to Japan. It's all in French but Google will help. Last time I discussed with them there were telling me the same as you All record diggers go there now and have been for years, prices are up, stocks are low. You better be lucky, have someone locally to hunt and find some personal collection outside of the big cities. Otherwise, same as Discogs without shipping, which is nice but not enough to cover the travel expenses.

this might be my last trip buying anything other than grails...fewer, better records...but grading is definitely looser than its ever been, and even disk union is starting to be pricey across the board....

I mean...it's possible the world is starting to run out of used, old records....at least the good shit

this might be my last trip buying anything other than grails...fewer, better records...but grading is definitely looser than its ever been, and even disk union is starting to be pricey across the board....

I mean...it's possible the world is starting to run out of used, old records....at least the good shit

There must be other markets. I'd love to have an opportunity to visit South Korea and see what they have.

There must be other markets. I'd love to have an opportunity to visit South Korea and see what they have.
I remember being underwhelmed when I was in Seoul...but I didn't have a ton of time or insider scoop...but never heard much about Korea being a repository for records...except for Korean ones...

on a break from the Sumo tournament I popped into a record store I had never been to in the area...and they were selling brand new records for over retail MSRP...needless to say this is a terrible business practice and I would never purchase something from this store but this is so un-japanese...it saddens me to say that used records may be going the way of the dodo....

Back