J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

aw man. where'd you get that earth mother??
BBE put up a sealed copy on Discogs a couple weeks ago. It’s the most recent Discogs sale. No bargain, unfortunately, but below median, and BBE ships at least three items for 6 GBP, which is ridiculously low for a UK seller. So I added At Room 427 and Animals Garden (at regular retail price), and all three shipped for 6 GBP.

It’s a lot of $$$ for a 2xLP (about $25 more than what it would be to buy/ship if it was reissued), but I really like this album, and I was mindful of your previous comment that Earth Mother is only Masterclass release that will not be reissued.

Does anyone know about quality differences (if any) between TBM releases from early 70s to late 70s and even into early 80s?

For example, Teramasu Hino Live has a series of presses from ‘73 original (TBM/Toshiba), ‘77 reissue (TBM/Nippon Phonogram), ‘79 reissue (TBM/Nippon “TBM Best 1500 Collection”), ‘79 (TBM/Nippon “2500 Cat Series”, and ’82 reissue (Trio/TBM/Trio-Kenwood Corporation “TBM Remember ‘70s Series”).

I’m assuming all would sound in the good-great range, but I’m curious if any of these are clearly ones to get or ones to avoid.

Does anyone know about quality differences (if any) between TBM releases from early 70s to late 70s and even into early 80s?

For example, Teramasu Hino Live has a series of presses from ‘73 original (TBM/Toshiba), ‘77 reissue (TBM/Nippon Phonogram), ‘79 reissue (TBM/Nippon “TBM Best 1500 Collection”), ‘79 (TBM/Nippon “2500 Cat Series”, and ’82 reissue (Trio/TBM/Trio-Kenwood Corporation “TBM Remember ‘70s Series”).

I’m assuming all would sound in the good-great range, but I’m curious if any of these are clearly ones to get or ones to avoid.
yes...they all sound good. full stop. there are no bad tbm records sound quality wise - the only ones i haven't liked are the recent vocal records from Ayako Hosakawa on craftman reissues, but Ive never heard originals of these.

generally, the first 2 pressings use the same metal as the stampers are almost always the same the only difference being obi and catalog number, when the catalog was sold to Nippon Phonogram there is new metal but again, they sound amazing. I only have a few of the Trio series but again, these are amazing plus there are also new titles mixed in with each so those would have been new masters...

anywho...prices have gone to insane so buy any with confidence and dont worry too much about which pressing unless you are collecting originals only

where did you order that Cat from? I have the half speed and curious about the Japanese pressing.
I also have the half-speed of Cat, and I obviously can’t speak to where Mr. Moustache got their copy, but the Deep Jazz Reality/Project Re:Vinyl version of Cat is available from two places right now (both are tax included, but you wouldn’t pay the tax as a US customer):
*** despite different images, they have same catalog number (HMJY 105)

In the US, Cromulent Records and Dusty Groove also get this series, although they don’t have Cat right now.

Last edited:
I've got the 15PJ-1024 from '79 , sound great. It's on translucent vinyl as well , which a lot of my 70/80 JP pressing are.

where did you order that Cat from? I have the half speed and curious about the Japanese pressing.
yeah I saw your post the other day but don't have the half speed to compare. As @Portland Sheriff said, direct from Japan (hmv). It comes much cheaper in the end than ordering from Cromulent or Dustygroove. Shipping was not cheap but overall I ended up paying less than $42 per records, shipping included.

HMV.JP is repressing the Three Blind Mice series that sold out quickly earlier this year. I have all five of these, purchased when the exchange rate was less favorable (at least in the US), and they’re excellent. If you really, really care about the best quality and are ok w 45rpm, I think the Impex of Blow Up is a slight improvement over these Craftman, but it’s close. In fact, I sold my Impex Blow Up when these arrived bc I prefer 33rpm and the small difference didn’t matter to me.
Links to each pre-order. Not sure how many they’re pressing, but they went very fast the first time around.
Blow Up
Blue City
Midnight Sugar
Misty
Girl Talk

HMV.JP is repressing the Three Blind Mice series that sold out quickly earlier this year. I have all five of these, purchased when the exchange rate was less favorable (at least in the US), and they’re excellent. If you really, really care about the best quality and are ok w 45rpm, I think the Impex of Blow Up is a slight improvement over these Craftman, but it’s close. In fact, I sold my Impex Blow Up when these arrived bc I prefer 33rpm and the small difference didn’t matter to me.
Links to each pre-order. Not sure how many they’re pressing, but they went very fast the first time around.
Blow Up
Blue City
Midnight Sugar
Misty
Girl Talk
No Unicorn? I missed Girl Talk and Blue City last time around by not ordering from HMV directly, but not this time! Thanks for enabling.

Blow Up
Blue City
Midnight Sugar
Misty
Girl Talk
Thanks for sharing this. It appears that there is a 20% off coupon if you purchase by Sunday - it says CDs and books, but the fine print includes vinyl. You would need to buy 3 or more of the titles to qualify (10,000 JPY or more).

No Unicorn? I missed Girl Talk and Blue City last time around by not ordering from HMV directly, but not this time! Thanks for enabling.
Unicorn wasn’t in the email blasts I received, but it’s also the only one I didn’t buy bc I didn’t want it, and HMV is pretty specific in their email blasts. They’re very tailored to what i previously purchased. i just looked for it. And it’s there.

https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Teruo-Nakamura-And-The-Rising-Sun_000000000010268/item_Unicorn-追加プレス-Ltd_13276893

Thanks for sharing this. It appears that there is a 20% off coupon if you purchase by Sunday - it says CDs and books, but the fine print includes vinyl. You would need to buy 3 or more of the titles to qualify (10,000 JPY or more).
the coupons apply to your next purchase...just so you know

also looks like the Hosakawa vocal records are included with this repress...

I occasionally check out Whatnot to see if there's anything good on there, mostly junk, but popped into one briefly today where amidst a bunch of $5 latin was a mint as can be gem:

https://www.discogs.com/release/11258460-鈴木宏昌-ロックジョイント琵琶組曲ふることふみ-

Turns out the couple, who was not really familiar with records, bought a storage unit that belonged to Hugo Montenegro and he had a huge collection. This was in there, likely purchased in Japan and looked incredible.

Wound up selling for $650, which is probably a great deal but too rich for my blood. If anyone is familiar with Spatula City Records in AZ, that's the guy who bought it. Pretty nuts.

Hello all! First post on this forum. I've only recently become aware of the Re:Vinyl series and have been interested in picking up a few (uh oh...). I'm located in the US and am trying to determine the best source for them. I'm aware that Dusty Groove occasionally stocks them, and recently discovered Cromulent...but it seems that the general consensus for getting the best price on these records is to simply order direct from HMV Japan. Is this accurate? I'm curious about their packaging. Do they generally package them well enough for the records to arrive safely after the long journey from Japan? Appreciate the input!

Hello all! First post on this forum. I've only recently become aware of the Re:Vinyl series and have been interested in picking up a few (uh oh...). I'm located in the US and am trying to determine the best source for them. I'm aware that Dusty Groove occasionally stocks them, and recently discovered Cromulent...but it seems that the general consensus for getting the best price on these records is to simply order direct from HMV Japan. Is this accurate? I'm curious about their packaging. Do they generally package them well enough for the records to arrive safely after the long journey from Japan? Appreciate the input!

Shipping from Japan from almost any store will be great. Though there are a fan favourite stores around here, I'm sure @Skalap or @MikeH can tell you more about individual stores.

I’ve ordered only once from HMV. Only because I mostly buy used from Japan. I got a few of the Craftmen reissues a few months ago. Price even with shipping on a few was cheaper than ordering from Dusty Groove. I don’t recall any packaging issues and I think I ordered 4 albums in one package.

Dusty groove is also great to order from, although they did end up cancelling some of my Craftman preorders without explanation. I’ll have to check out this re:vinyl series though!

I’ve ordered only once from HMV. Only because I mostly buy used from Japan. I got a few of the Craftmen reissues a few months ago. Price even with shipping on a few was cheaper than ordering from Dusty Groove. I don’t recall any packaging issues and I think I ordered 4 albums in one package.

Dusty groove is also great to order from, although they did end up cancelling some of my Craftman preorders without explanation. I’ll have to check out this re:vinyl series though!
I’ve had 5-6 HMV orders, vinyl and CDs/SACDs. I try to bundle a few items to reduce avg shipping cost and I always check the box before completing purchase that says to notify you of a change in shipping price from what is initially quoted. With CDs, the actual shipping price has been lower than initially quoted even with a bunch of discs. Vinyl had been mixed. With the exchange rate and a few records in a single transaction, they should come out a $4-5 per record cheaper than Dusty Groove. It I’ve also ordered from Dusty Groove and Cromulent. All good enough shipping quality for me.

HMVs shipping has gotten really expensive IMO because they use EMS service, but they do take out the Japanese VAT so at least you're saving 10% on the vinyl cost. Its strange because they use DHL on Discogs...No worries about packaging from any dealer in Japan, always packed well and taken care of

Back