J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

HMV Shibuya announced on Instragram two new releases in the Project Re:vinyl series:

• Toshiyuki Miyama and New Herd - Four Jazz Compositions (just as good, or better than Nio and Pigeon)
  • Various - 2 to 10 Saxophone Adventure - This has Masabumi Kikuchi, George Ohtsuka, Mototeru Takagi. I have actually never heard this one but with Mototeru Takagi it is probably a free jazz blowout.
There is a copy of 2 to 10 Saxophone Adventure on discogs for a ridiculous $8,500!

Cross-post from Pre-order thread. Two J-Jazz reissues by Production Dessinée and Superfly Records.

That Kikuchi is a blinder!
Cross-post from Pre-order thread. Two J-Jazz reissues by Production Dessinée and Superfly Records.

A few J-Jazz records will be reissued this year for RSD:

has anyone received these - any comments on SQ? thx

Heading into the stacks lately...
Shunzo Ohno - Falter Out....just a really solid early 70's post Bitches Brew tribute/modal trumpet record....and Mikio Masuda in less of a cheesy electric mode - very well recorded, the victor pressing is the one to seek out. think this one is getting expensive and rightly so...

Akira Ishikawa - Rock! New Disc...one of many Jazzstrumental cover records of popular music from Japan that range from the cheesy to the sublime cheesy, but Akira-san drums are just all over the soundstage - lots of stereo trickery and Nippon drum breaks galore...just the right amount of cheesy. probably rare AF, a fun record, short tracks, an easy pass unless you're a collector or its cheap or you like cool obi's and metallic inks on sleeves

thanks! Ogawa-san has incredible taste, and nearly all the records are unobtanium but the SQ varies across the board for sure - I wish they were a little more upfront about sourcing
I should have this record by the end of the day. I'll let you know if I have some time to play the record this week-end.

thanks! Ogawa-san has incredible taste, and nearly all the records are unobtanium but the SQ varies across the board for sure - I wish they were a little more upfront about sourcing

I don't know if you read my post in the Fresh Grabs thread. Record sounds great, very clear and drums particularly are powerful. Music is very cheesy like many other Ishikawa's records but still interesting. Not the best Ishikawa's work but if you can grab a copy without selling a kidney, don't hesitate.

Here are the records I bought today. All are RSD Japan releases. I collect those Project Re:Vinyl and Deep Jazz Reality records. Last is not J-Jazz. I didn't bought Takeo Moriyama and Yosuke Yamashita reissues as OG German releases are easy to find and much much cheaper.

IMG_20210625_170719.jpg
IMG_20210625_170807.jpg
IMG_20210625_170836.jpg

@Mr Moore I know you won't add these records to your Free Jazz collection but if you are not familiar with Sabu Toyozumi, give these a listen (available on YouTube). I gave a quick listening this afternoon and found it quite accessible for a Free Jazz album (not sure if this is something a Free Jazz fan wants to read).

I don't know if you read my post in the Fresh Grabs thread. Record sounds great, very clear and drums particularly are powerful. Music is very cheesy like many other Ishikawa's records but still interesting. Not the best Ishikawa's work but if you can grab a copy without selling a kidney, don't hesitate.

Here are the records I bought today. All are RSD Japan releases. I collect those Project Re:Vinyl and Deep Jazz Reality records. Last is not J-Jazz. I didn't bought Takeo Moriyama and Yosuke Yamashita reissues as OG German releases are easy to find and much much cheaper.

View attachment 103753
View attachment 103752
View attachment 103755

@Mr Moore I know you won't add these records to your Free Jazz collection but if you are not familiar with Sabu Toyozumi, give these a listen (available on YouTube). I gave a quick listening this afternoon and found it quite accessible for a Free Jazz album (not sure if this is something a Free Jazz fan wants to read).

Got a nice one with Wadada on NoBusiness. Will defo check out that Message to Chicago though, thanks brother. Did you import those or are they available easy in Europe.

EDIT: just found them available over here, very tempting.

Last edited:
Got a nice one with Wadada on NoBusiness. Will defo check out that Message to Chicago though, thanks brother. Did you import those or are they available easy in Europe.

EDIT: just found them available over here, very tempting.

Bought them from a French shop. Juno uses to have these releases on stock. After my post I saw that there are other Sabu releases on No Business including two with Kaoru Abe. Enjoy!

my RSD's just came in...Okinawa is a sold sonic effort for sure. also cheesy AF. Side 2 definitely has more funk to it, gotta love the Time 5 (some of their records are worth searching out)...this is an easy pass for the $ unless you're a collector or searching for rare breaks.

OK, we're going backwards here M. Sato's 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' has a very fishy sound to it...I don't think its a vinyl rip but its very one dimensional and lacking air - Ryo Kawasaki's guitar on the right channel is super distant and everything seems a layer behind where the natural soundstage is...I have a few Master Sonic originals and I remember there being a distinct sound but not like this....

OK, we're going backwards here M. Sato's 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' has a very fishy sound to it...I don't think its a vinyl rip but its very one dimensional and lacking air - Ryo Kawasaki's guitar on the right channel is super distant and everything seems a layer behind where the natural soundstage is...I have a few Master Sonic originals and I remember there being a distinct sound but not like this....

I didn't notice that and actually found the sounding nice for the bluesy songs on this record. I'll give another play tomorrow.

I didn't notice that and actually found the sounding nice for the bluesy songs on this record. I'll give another play tomorrow.
compared with Okinawa, they are like night and day. The Sato record was probably recorded 8-10 years prior and is done in a different style...but yeah, it's not bringing the SQ as I would have hoped. Will listen to Dosojin this week...

also since most (all?) of these titles were released on CD as part of Ogawa-San's Deep Jazz Reality, its probably a safe bet these were cut from the same digital file. just a guess but probably why they don't discuss sourcing and why SQ varies across these releases on vinyl.

also since most (all?) of these titles were released on CD as part of Ogawa-San's Deep Jazz Reality, its probably a safe bet these were cut from the same digital file. just a guess but probably why they don't discuss sourcing and why SQ varies across these releases on vinyl.

You might be right about the sourcing. As far as I remember the only J-Jazz records cut from the original master tapes are the ones reissued by Craftman Records (this serie) and a few TBM on Impex. Okinawa doesn't seem to be part of Yusuke Ogawa's series though.

You might be right about the sourcing. As far as I remember the only J-Jazz records cut from the original master tapes are the ones reissued by Craftman Records (this serie) and a few TBM on Impex. Okinawa doesn't seem to be part of Yusuke Ogawa's series though.
possibly the Japanese market is less concerned with sourcing on J Jazz...it seems as if the major market for J Jazz these days is outside of Japan

View attachment 103753
View attachment 103752
View attachment 103755

Dosojin is quite the record...its like PF Animals, and stranger prog sounds and Japanese stuff, but awesome. highly recommended listing.

Dosojin is quite the record...its like PF Animals, and stranger prog sounds and Japanese stuff, but awesome. highly recommended listing.
Great to hear. This is the only Japan RSD title I ended up picking up so I am super excited to get it in the mail later this week (hopefully) from Japan.

Back