It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Well at least those changes have shut up the shop. Depressing evening this one.

Spoke too soon, and that cock Mourinho being on the other bench makes it even worse. The most depressing thing is that I really don’t rate this spurs team outside Kane, Son and Lloris, so what does that say about us...

So this is now officially the worst defeat I’ve ever watched us have, I missed the city one. It’s going to take some coming back from this. Pogba needs dropping for a good while and god knows what centre back pairing we go for now...

This really is the season that keeps on giving...

...does Watkins look good or Gomez poor? I always liked Gomez too...

I’d quite happily never set eyes on the cancerous Glazier leeches and that out of his depth fool Woodward again!
The biggest club in England turning into a poverty franchise because us Americans can't go eat at Houlihan's or go to Tampa Bay Bucs games.

American sports team owners bringing their penny pinching into a league without a salary cap is so wild to me.

Last edited:
The biggest club in England turning into a poverty franchise because us Americans can't go eat at Houlihan's or go to Tampa Bay Bucs games

If you think this is recent you’re having a laugh. Since 2005 they’ve taken out over £1 billion pounds and put it in their own pocket. If you contrast that to a similar amount having been put into city since 2009 and Chelsea since 2003 it really shows our money generating capacity. An utter cancer since day one. Also our sports teams aren’t franchises.

The biggest club in England turning into a poverty franchise because us Americans can't go eat at Houlihan's or go to Tampa Bay Bucs games.

American sports team owners bringing their penny pinching into a league without a salary cap is so wild to me.
United, Liverpool and Arsenal all have owners who own American sports clubs. Only Arsenal seem to be doing okay, still missing some better players (lack of signings), but I think their success is due to Arteta’s management right now. Let’s see what happens 🤔

United, Liverpool and Arsenal all have owners who own American sports clubs. Only Arsenal seem to be doing okay, still missing some better players (lack of signings), but I think their success is due to Arteta’s management right now. Let’s see what happens 🤔

Liverpool has thrown it out there that things might get tight from the problems with baseball

Arsenal laid off employees after the players took a wage cut to protect staff.

No owners are perfect, but at least oil tycoons make things more fun for fans

Liverpool has thrown it out there that things might get tight from the problems with baseball

Arsenal laid off employees after the players took a wage cut to protect staff.

No owners are perfect, but at least oil tycoons make things more fun for fans
Even when it turns out, like with city and PSG and the prospective Newcastle one last summer, that they’re wholly state owned wealth funds acting as sportswashing exercises for repressive regimes?

I miss the days of local businessmen being able to have fun owning/investing in their clubs, the spending sprees of Jack Walker and John Hall in the 90s seem almost quaint now...

Last edited:
If you think this is recent you’re having a laugh. Since 2005 they’ve taken out over £1 billion pounds and put it in their own pocket. If you contrast that to a similar amount having been put into city since 2009 and Chelsea since 2003 it really shows our money generating capacity. An utter cancer since day one. Also our sports teams aren’t franchises.
This is so depressing to me. We've already ruined the NFL because refs are calling (or not calling) things to benefit the bigger market because they have more revenue. And then there are the wealthy investors that get into sports teams as a tax write off, but don't actually invest in the teams. I would hate to see that sort of blatant bias and simultaneous lack of emotional investment in European football. Why the f*ck do Americans have to turn everything into a commodity?
They really need to bin these international tournaments. It's just so, so, so stupid

If I were paying millions of dollars for these players, I would be very loud in voicing my concerns about my players getting sick due to unnecessary international travel. I'm not sure who thought this was a good idea. Europe is getting a nasty second wave, there should have been no international travel happening at all.

This is so depressing to me. We've already ruined the NFL because refs are calling (or not calling) things to benefit the bigger market because they have more revenue. And then there are the wealthy investors that get into sports teams as a tax write off, but don't actually invest in the teams. I would hate to see that sort of blatant bias and simultaneous lack of emotional investment in European football. Why the f*ck do Americans have to turn everything into a commodity?

If I were paying millions of dollars for these players, I would be very loud in voicing my concerns about my players getting sick due to unnecessary international travel. I'm not sure who thought this was a good idea. Europe is getting a nasty second wave, there should have been no international travel happening at all.

Basically they bought the club for £750m in 2004 via a leveraged buy out. 16 years later the club still has £500m debt from that takeover and they’ve extracted over £1billion to service it and as personally ATM withdrawals (so high you can’t call them dividends and keep a straight face). It’s actually a testament to United’s money making ability that they can service all of that. But yeah I’d do pretty much anything, short of being bought out by a Middle Eastern sovereign wealth fund, to extract that cancer from the club.

Basically they bought the club for £750m in 2004 via a leveraged buy out. 16 years later the club still has £500m debt from that takeover and they’ve extracted over £1billion to service it and as personally ATM withdrawals (so high you can’t call them dividends and keep a straight face). It’s actually a testament to United’s money making ability that they can service all of that. But yeah I’d do pretty much anything, short of being bought out by a Middle Eastern sovereign wealth fund, to extract that cancer from the club.
And this isn't even touching on the new "Project Big Picture"....

Not only do they propose reducing the Premier League in size from 20 to 18 and eliminating both the Carabao Cup and Community Shield, but the details include so-called "special voting rights" for the Big Six -- Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham -- and the three longest-serving Premier League clubs outside that group, to have the ability to change the allocation of broadcasting revenue and divert a greater share to the biggest clubs.

That group of nine would be free to do their own thing, with the rest -- the other 11 Premier League clubs and 72 EFL sides -- powerless to stop them. Would they still act in the interests of the entire pyramid then?

And this isn't even touching on the new "Project Big Picture"....

Not only do they propose reducing the Premier League in size from 20 to 18 and eliminating both the Carabao Cup and Community Shield, but the details include so-called "special voting rights" for the Big Six -- Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham -- and the three longest-serving Premier League clubs outside that group, to have the ability to change the allocation of broadcasting revenue and divert a greater share to the biggest clubs.

That group of nine would be free to do their own thing, with the rest -- the other 11 Premier League clubs and 72 EFL sides -- powerless to stop them. Would they still act in the interests of the entire pyramid then?

I think that’s Fenways plan but yeah United have jumped fully behind it. There are elements that are attractive to it but as a whole it institutionalises privilege and power.

I agree with the reduction to 18 and agree with the EFL cup going. I absolutely agree with the increased 25% share to the EFL/Pyramid, that’s desperately needed and should always have been there.

I disagree with the voting. I disagree with the right to sell 8 games yourself/put on your tv channel. I disagree with 2 down and 3rd bottom in playoffs, should be 3 up 3 down as is and playoffs as a championship thing if they want it. I don’t understand why a one off pre season spectacle needs to go? Charity Shield stays for me!

Last edited:
I think that’s Fenways plan but yeah United have jumped fully behind it. There are elements that are attractive to it but as a whole it institutionalises privilege and power.

I agree with the reduction to 18 and agree with the EFL cup going. I absolutely agree with the increased 25% share to the EFL/Pyramid, that’s desperately needed and should always have been there.

I disagree with the voting. I disagree with the right to sell 8 games yourself/put on your tv channel. I disagree with 2 down and 3rd bottom in playoffs, should be 3 up 3 down as is and playoffs as a championship thing if they want it. I don’t understand why a one of pre season spectacle needs to go? Charity Shield stays for me!
I agree with all of this, bin the EFL cup, money down the pyramid is fine, but the voting power is terrible. There may never be another Leicester City if that happens.

I'm fortunate that all PL games are on NBC/Peacock and not BT, Sky, BBC, Amazon, or whatever else folks in the UK have to deal with. I'm hearing it'll be like 15 pounds per game for PPV??? that's madness. Illegal streamers will be in full demand.

This is a great video on how the PL should just create their own streaming network instead of selling rights to countless different advertisers

Back