Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

I'll keep that in mind. I honestly haven't listened to my white copy (Rainbo) in awhile. Maybe it's not as bad as I remember.

These shows that they've been posting on YouTube have made me want to revisit all things Radiohead.

As with all XL avoid the US pressings, all done at Rainbow. But the European ones, much better. It’ll be interesting to see who they use now they’ve gone out of business. The best Radiohead pressing I’ve heard is still In Rainbows Discbox, by a distance.

I'll keep that in mind. I honestly haven't listened to my white copy (Rainbo) in awhile. Maybe it's not as bad as I remember.

These shows that they've been posting on YouTube have made me want to revisit all things Radiohead.
It probably is as bad as you remember hah. Rainbo is one of the worst pressing plants IMO. 9/10 I don't even bother buying a record if it was pressed at Rainbo. I have no idea why Radiohead of all people decided to use them...They have been around forever and have an awesome history, but their quality control just fell off a cliff the past 10 years or so. They are closed now (shut up shop earlier this year) so you won't have to worry about new pressings coming from there. If the White is a repress, it won't be pressed there.

It probably is as bad as you remember hah. Rainbo is one of the worst pressing plants IMO. 9/10 I don't even bother buying a record if it was pressed at Rainbo. I have no idea why Radiohead of all people decided to use them...They have been around forever and have an awesome history, but their quality control just fell off a cliff the past 10 years or so. They are closed now (shut up shop earlier this year) so you won't have to worry about new pressings coming from there. If the White is a repress, it won't be pressed there.

I think you’re putting far too much faith in the idea that the band had any input in, or even remotely cared about, where the album was pressed. XL are their label and the used Rainbo for all US presses. To be honest even before that the Parlophone presses over here have a much better reputation that the Capitol ones, the only Capitol one I own is the least dynamic Radiohead press I own. Also I think, if I remember correctly. that the band are pretty famously not audiophiles.

I think you’re putting far too much faith in the idea that the band had any input in, or even remotely cared about, where the album was pressed. XL are their label and the used Rainbo for all US presses. To be honest even before that the Parlophone presses over here have a much better reputation that the Capitol ones, the only Capitol one I own is the least dynamic Radiohead press I own. Also I think the band are pretty famously not audiophiles.
Interesting on that last part...I had no idea. You'd think they are kind of audiophiles based on how amazing the special edition boxes sound from my experience. Makes sense on the label deciding who to press with but considering the fan base I would have thought that they would press at some nicer facilities. I guess they sell either way...

I have a mix of US and UK pressings and whole-heartedly agree with you. The King of Limbs 10" I have is the UK Record Industry version and it sounds great. Weirdly my Hail To The Thief 45RPM is pressed at Rainbo but it still sounds really good. My UK ones definitely sound better upon direct comparison though (I bought a few doubles and sold the US ones).

Interesting on that last part...I had no idea. You'd think they are kind of audiophiles based on how amazing the special edition boxes sound from my experience. Makes sense on the label deciding who to press with but considering the fan base I would have thought that they would press at some nicer facilities. I guess they sell either way...

I have a mix of US and UK pressings and whole-heartedly agree with you. The King of Limbs 10" I have is the UK Record Industry version and it sounds great. Weirdly my Hail To The Thief 45RPM is pressed at Rainbo but it still sounds really good. My UK ones definitely sound better upon direct comparison though (I bought a few doubles and sold the US ones).

Well the two self released ones. AMSP and OKNOTOK are identical to the standard XL pressings just in a nicer package. I mean Rainbo have decent source material often and they’ve got to get the odd copy out ok, just your odds aren’t as favourable with them!

Also, to be honest 99% of music fans I know are happy with mp3s, audiophiles are hugelyin the minority. I’ll be honest I don’t like the audiophile tag myself, I want the nicest pressing I can afford, but, I’ll always prioritise actually having the music at the end of the day.

Well the two self released ones. AMSP and OKNOTOK are identical to the standard XL pressings just in a nicer package. I mean Rainbo have decent source material often and they’ve got to get the odd copy out ok, just your odds aren’t as favourable with them!

Also, to be honest 99% of music fans I know are happy with mp3s, audiophiles are hugelyin the minority. I’ll be honest I don’t like the audiophile tag myself, I want the nicest pressing I can afford, but, I’ll always prioritise actually having the music at the end of the day.
Yea--I beefed up my digital equipment over the past year for the exact reason you mentioned. Also thought it would also help me curb my vinyl purchasing, which it really hasn't haha but I'm trying to get better about that. With my new DAC, it's getting fairly close to sounding similar to vinyl. I'm a big fan of buying on bandcamp to get the vinyl + high res files though which is the best of both worlds for me when it's possible.

The XL reissue sounds amazing.

I've seen that non Minotaur cover, there's a couple in discogs but they want upwards of $500... That's crazy 😢

Back