Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

I tried friends. I really did

I tried to resist the urge lure, the draw, the pull of the OG's swirling vortex but here I stand, on the precipice about to dive in cannonball style.

Sure, I dabbled a bit with my In Rainbows Deluxe, TKOL Newspaper and AMSP La Fabrique but now my ears are ready and I'm about to pull the pin on OG copies of The Bends, Amnesiac and I Might Be Wrong.

The guy had listed IMBW last night and I jumped on it this morning and he asked if I was interested in more Radiohead OG and is doing me a sweet, sweet bundle.

Geronimo.

I tried to resist the urge lure, the draw, the pull of the OG's swirling vortex but here I stand, on the precipice about to dive in cannonball style.

Sure, I dabbled a bit with my In Rainbows Deluxe, TKOL Newspaper and AMSP La Fabrique but now my ears are ready and I'm about to pull the pin on OG copies of The Bends, Amnesiac and I Might Be Wrong.

The guy had listed IMBW last night and I jumped on it this morning and he asked if I was interested in more Radiohead OG and is doing me a sweet, sweet bundle.

Geronimo.
Can you ask if he has any promos or singles by chance?:)

Geronimo.
Btw...enjoy the OGs...they are a nice addition to any collection ;)

FYI for those who may not be aware, you may want to check your copy of The Bends

On closer inspection, The Bends I was offered to buy turns out to be this one.

It shows all the signs of being a Parlaphone copy but there are some differences in the label and it cant be substantiated that this version was pressed in '95. It's even speculated that it may be a repress post-EMI split due to the missing red pound symbol found on this pressing

As copies of this version are much cheaper so the seller knocked off a large chunk of the price so I ended up getting all three.

The Amnesiac and IMBW are legit though and this Bends copy should see me through until an OG comes my way.

I don’t have the Bends if you’re getting rid of your old one

I actually don't. It was criminally missing from my collection considering it's probably one of my all-time favourites albums and somehow I have managed to buy close to 500 records before it.

Can you ask if he has any promos or singles by chance?:)

He did not but he is a record dealer so if anything comes from him I can let you know. Shipping from Australia may sour the deal though.

FYI for those who may not be aware, you may want to check your copy of The Bends

On closer inspection, The Bends I was offered to buy turns out to be this one.

It shows all the signs of being a Parlaphone copy but there are some differences in the label and it cant be substantiated that this version was pressed in '95. It's even speculated that it may be a repress post-EMI split due to the missing red pound symbol found on this pressing

As copies of this version are much cheaper so the seller knocked off a large chunk of the price so I ended up getting all three.

The Amnesiac and IMBW are legit though and this Bends copy should see me through until an OG comes my way.

I actually don't. It was criminally missing from my collection considering it's probably one of my all-time favourites albums and somehow I have managed to buy close to 500 records before it.

He did not but he is a record dealer so if anything comes from him I can let you know. Shipping from Australia may sour the deal though.
Yes...always look for the trademark inside the circle on the label

Okay so here is a thing is discovered about the 2 LP 45 Amnesiac pressing from 2016. There are actually at least 3 different versions of this pressing that are pressed at 3 different plants and at least two of them are actually different masters. I originally bought this through the VMP store and I had to go through 3 copies of it due to no fill and just general sound issues with all of them. I finally gave up and kept the 3rd copy but it's got repetitive crackle and other issues. Most of the reviews say it sounds great so I couldn't figure out how I got 3 bad ones in a row. So I just checked the deadwax and my jacket is manufactured in North America, is mastered by "Carl at Trutone" and is pressed somewhere in North America. The usual copies for this one are manufactured in the EU, are mastered by Bob Ludwig and lacquer was cut by Christian at Abbey Road and they were pressed at either Optimal or GZ.

So my copy appears at the very least to be a different master and lacquer than the usual ones. So off I go today to find a EU copy and FUCKING PRAY IT'S NOT THE GZ ONE.

So this is the Optimal pressing that Bob Ludwig mastered?
I think that's the one that's arriving tomorrow from @wooha
along with Radiohead - Kid A
Yes, the only issue is that there's no way to tell the Optimal from the GZ until you can see the deadwax. The outside of the jacket looks identical on both.

Yes, the only issue is that there's no way to tell the Optimal from the GZ until you can see the deadwax. The outside of the jacket looks identical on both.

It’s actually the same with all the Radiohead reissues with XL, avoid the North American pressings completely. They’re pressed at Rainbo and have a shit reputation across the board. I don’t have the 45RPM Amnesiac, I have the 2x10, but it’s and EU press (given where I am) and it sounds very good indeed!

It’s actually the same with all the Radiohead reissues with XL, avoid the North American pressings completely. They’re pressed at Rainbo and have a shit reputation across the board. I don’t have the 45RPM Amnesiac, I have the 2x10, but it’s and EU press (given where I am) and it sounds very good indeed!
So it IS Rainbo! I figured as much with all the issues and how I went thru three copies. They were all bought through VMP so I'm not surprised. Yeah I'm off to the store today to get the EU copy. Was gunna grab Kid A too but I believe this may be up for a deluxe repress so I might wait on that...

So it IS Rainbo! I figured as much with all the issues and how I went thru three copies. They were all bought through VMP so I'm not surprised. Yeah I'm off to the store today to get the EU copy. Was gunna grab Kid A too but I believe this may be up for a deluxe repress so I might wait on that...

Yeah, I was looking up about the mastering/pressing of the Radiohead stuff last year and that was the conclusion. That said if you can get an original UK Parlophone 2x10 that’s supposedly a stellar master, I know @Phaneronic speakd very highly about that one!

Thom mentioned last year that himself and Stanley Donwood were looking through piles of the unused artwork from the Kid A/Amnesiac for a “future project” so I’m hoping for deluxe editions of both tbh. Mainly Kid A though, early in my vinyl collecting I made the mistake of buying a Capitol press of that, it isn’t terrible, but it’s a lot flatter dynamically than that album deserves.

Them mentioned last year that himself and Stanley Donwood were looking through piles of the unused artwork from the Kid A/Amnesiac for a “future project” so I’m hoping for deluxe editions of both tbh. Mainly Kid A though, early in my vinyl collecting I made the mistake of buying a Capitol press of that, it isn’t terrible, but it’s a lot flatter dynamically than that album deserves.
Yeah I know the XL logo over the trees back jacket is the one to get for that one... But I can hold off till they announce something. It would likely have to come this year I think being the anniversary... I think...

Yeah I know the XL logo over the trees back jacket is the one to get for that one... But I can hold off till they announce something. It would likely have to come this year I think being the anniversary... I think...

Yeah October is the 20th anniversary so I expect that if anything is coming that it’ll be around then.

I gave away my 10" pressings of Kid A and Amnesiac to an ex. I have no clue what pressings of either I have right now. Rarely do I listen to either of them on vinyl, I usually just stream them if I want to hear them.

Hopefully the reissue that's been rumored sounds good so that I can have copies that aren't just there for completionist purposes.

Alright so I acquired the UK pressing and got not surprisingly the GZ version as I imagine most of the current pressings in stores are GZ rather that Optimal. But it's clean and doesn't have any of the pressing isues that the Rainbo copy had. Although interestingly I'm not certain that the mastering is actually better on this UK version. The US press was mastered at Trutone, and while I didn't A/B it I kinda feel like that mastering might have been a bit more dynamic. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
ERMAHGERD the In Rainbows box arrived and it's mint and glorious and I listened to the first two tracks and HOLY HELL they sound incredible. Hoping that I've avoided the whooshing copies.

Now for a question. How bad is the Moon Shaped Pool pressing? I debating grabbing that box set but from what I've read the pressing is a bit of a travesty on that one... Thoughts?

ERMAHGERD the In Rainbows box arrived and it's mint and glorious and I listened to the first two tracks and HOLY HELL they sound incredible. Hoping that I've avoided the whooshing copies.

Now for a question. How bad is the Moon Shaped Pool pressing? I debating grabbing that box set but from what I've read the pressing is a bit of a travesty on that one... Thoughts?

Isn't it! I always discover new things when I hear it.glad you got a good one.

I got the Moon Shaped Pool Boxset and I really like it, haven't heard any issues that I've seen reported on mine, but I think that the best one is the White version pressed in Optimal.

Isn't it! I always discover new things when I hear it.glad you got a good one.

I got the Moon Shaped Pool Boxset and I really like it, haven't heard any issues that I've seen reported on mine, but I think that the best one is the White version pressed in Optimal.
The box set is only in black I believe? I mean the box set that comes with the CDs and old analog tape wrapped around it.

Back