Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I’m ignorant. What’s the story of why people are concerned.

Bandcamp was a company that broke the mold by being primarily a small company that put creators first and minimized expenses to maximize revenue splits with artists, and the model worked. They specifically avoided venture capitalist vultures who would force a completely different business model on the company that would treat each quarter as one in which every last drop of profit had to be squeezed out of all available source. The company that bought them is part of a larger conglomerate that is known for this practice, not that most companies aren't, but they've made a lot of money on micro-transactions which is anti-consumer in it's nature. Plus they've announced that they are very pro-NFT and that plans to be a big part of how they will expand moving forward. The bummer is that Bandcamp had been the best out of a bunch of shitty options for buying from artists and supporting them, and it's likely that both artists and us will suffer as the shareholder profit maximization model takes it over.

Bandcamp was a company that broke the mold by being primarily a small company that put creators first and minimized expenses to maximize revenue splits with artists, and the model worked. They specifically avoided venture capitalist vultures who would force a completely different business model on the company that would treat each quarter as one in which every last drop of profit had to be squeezed out of all available source. The company that bought them is part of a larger conglomerate that is known for this practice, not that most companies aren't, but they've made a lot of money on micro-transactions which is anti-consumer in it's nature. Plus they've announced that they are very pro-NFT and that plans to be a big part of how they will expand moving forward. The bummer is that Bandcamp had been the best out of a bunch of shitty options for buying from artists and supporting them, and it's likely that both artists and us will suffer as the shareholder profit maximization model takes it over.

Thanks for the synopsis. I can definitely see where the skepticism and disappointment are coming from. I hadn't had a chance to read my email from Bandcamp and knew zero about Epic Games so all the posts were alarming. Especially given how awesome Bandcamp has been since right out the gate and what it's grown into. All good things I guess... *sigh*

A Hot Take: I don't care when artists/bands release a one-off single. Give me an album or a proper EP but I can't be bothered to listen to a random single that won't be a part of a body of work elsewhere. This was prompted by being excited for hopefully a new Sharon Van Etten single and album announcement, but it was just a one-off song for a film that fell through. I love SVE but my hype let down after it was just another one-off single.

A Hot Take: I don't care when artists/bands release a one-off single. Give me an album or a proper EP but I can't be bothered to listen to a random single that won't be a part of a body of work elsewhere. This was prompted by being excited for hopefully a new Sharon Van Etten single and album announcement, but it was just a one-off song for a film that fell through. I love SVE but my hype let down after it was just another one-off single.

THIS!!

Such a huge pet peeve of mine, especially when artist have great singles with no album to call home (lookin at you Childish Gambino with "This is America" and Paak with "Bubblin").

Extension of your take though but I also just dont care about ep's. For new artists building hype Im cool with it but an established artist just releasing a ep feels like a waste of time

THIS!!

Such a huge pet peeve of mine, especially when artist have great singles with no album to call home (lookin at you Childish Gambino with "This is America" and Paak with "Bubblin").

Extension of your take though but I also just dont care about ep's. For new artists building hype Im cool with it but an established artist just releasing a ep feels like a waste of time
Yup! I think that's okay for new artists. Just releasing EPs until you can release an album is cool. I am a hypocrite because I'll still listen to those singles. My listening brain is conditioned to grouping things together and singles that don't have any part of a future album or project irk me at keeping a collection organized.

The occasional collab or soundtrack single can be really great stuff that reminds you why you love an artist. I do hate the long string of singles and I especially hate when so many singles leading into an album are released that I feel like the album is just singles with filler once it does release.

An old but fantastic example would be Garbage's #1 Crush for the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack. That track has no business on any other part of their catalog but is so outstanding it deserved individual release. Speaking of Garbage and that time period, it was a major thing back in the CD boom days to have ad nauseum single releases that weren't about the single so much as the b-sides. It was impossible to otherwise get hands on b-sides unless you waited a decade for some compilation. This one place I see streaming really shine because I don't actually want all that excess physical media.

It does make me somewhat nostlgic for the era of the 7" 45rpm single where the term b-side even came from. That said, I despise little records and refuse to buy them now.

PS. I'll take anything from SVE and love it.

The occasional collab or soundtrack single can be really great stuff.
Even though I do NOT buy soundtracks or collections of songs:

The Cure/Burn and PJ/State of Love and Trust rips

Also, wasn't Simple Minds/Don't You Forget About Me a soundtrack only song?

Say goodbye to Bandcamp Fridays?

THIS!!

That first Jurassic 5 ep was way better than any subsequent releases though!

Contrarian here has a love for non-album singles and EPs. The single and the album are different art forms.
Agreed. The LP as a medium or art form resulted from a fairly arbitrary set of historical and technological circumstances. I'm primarily an album guy but artists write great material that doesn't make it onto albums for various reasons all time. I love EPs that stand on their own and non-album singles.

Back