Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Same applies to the TS stans who all of a sudden appreciates indie rock and the likes of Big Red Machine and its affiliated bands because she is featured on two songs. 🤷‍♂️

Kinda not shooting at that. Discovering new artists through the ones we already know is pretty standard and no bad thing.

What I’m talking about is indie music fans who deemed themselves too cool for Taylor’s pop music now fawning over her because of that collaboration. It’s prevelant and it’s nauseating. It’s a form of the phenomenon known as rockism. I’ve not encountered a similar superior attitude from fans of pop music. And that’s speaking as someone whose tastes fall squarely in the indie sphere.

One thing that I will say about Taylor that hasn’t been said here is that her real talent, for me, is in the ability to tell convincing and rounded stories in her lyrics. The ability to do that in a 3 minute song is both very impressive and very rare.

Or a 10+ minute one…

Yeah I don’t go out of my way to complain about Taylor Swift, and I almost enjoy some of her songs, but I don’t really care enough about her or any artist to like study her life history to try to understand why she’s still upset about relationships from so many years ago, and it seems like that might be a key factor in enjoying her music. I could be wrong, but the impression I get is that many of her songs seem self-congratulatory and/or have heaps of bitterness towards specific people in a way that just feels petty and uninteresting. Like I get Kesha writing a song about Dr. Luke because that situation was on another level of serious trauma, but even that song has lyrics like “I hope you find your peace” that are striking and sobering. I think Taylor has a good sense of humor when I see her in interviews or on snl, but so many of her songs just seem really specific to her and her life experiences and relationships and not really as broadly universal as the songs that Adele or Katy Perry or many other artists sing.

I think for me that’s the main problem, the songs feel musically generic but then the sentiments expressed aren’t easy to latch onto either. There’s just a lot of negativity about other people’s behavior without an equal dose of self-awareness.

Yeah I don’t go out of my way to complain about Taylor Swift, and I almost enjoy some of her songs, but I don’t really care enough about her or any artist to like study her life history to try to understand why she’s still upset about relationships from so many years ago, and it seems like that might be a key factor in enjoying her music. I could be wrong, but the impression I get is that many of her songs seem self-congratulatory and/or have heaps of bitterness towards specific people in a way that just feels petty and uninteresting. Like I get Kesha writing a song about Dr. Luke because that situation was on another level of serious trauma, but even that song has lyrics like “I hope you find your peace” that are striking and sobering. I think Taylor has a good sense of humor when I see her in interviews or on snl, but so many of her songs just seem really specific to her and her life experiences and relationships and not really as broadly universal as the songs that Adele or Katy Perry or many other artists sing.

I think for me that’s the main problem, the songs feel musically generic but then the sentiments expressed aren’t easy to latch onto either. There’s just a lot of negativity about other people’s behavior without an equal dose of self-awareness.

Yeah no, just no. Don’t do tabloid culture, never did, never will. Every heartbreak song ever written is about the person that broke that persons heart. The press treating a young woman in her late teens and early 20s toxicly has no relationship to weather or not I enjoy her music.

Last edited:
Yeah no, just no. Don’t do tabloid culture, never did, never will. Every heartbreak song ever written is about the person that broke that persons heart. The press treating a young woman in her late teens and early 20s toxicly has no relationship to weather or not I enjoy her music.
I guess I’m unfamiliar with how the press treated her 10 years ago, but she’s 32 now.

it is only now ok to like her because they've imbued some kind of bullshit credibility on her.
I really really hate that take too. Taylor had credibility long before her affiliation with The National or Big Red Machine. Her credibility has NOTHING to do with them.

It came from Ryan Adams.

*ducks*

I really really hate that take too. Taylor had credibility long before her affiliation with The National or Big Red Machine. Her credibility has NOTHING to do with them.

It came from Ryan Adams.

*ducks*
If you're attempting to rile up Joe Mac you might as well lean into it and say you prefer Adam's cover of "Wonderwall" to the orginal...

To which Joe will probably reply something along the lines of, "That twat Ryan Adams can have it. "Wonderwall" is a trash song to begin with that no real Oasis fan would enjoy".

I spend too much time on here.

If you're attempting to rile up Joe Mac you might as well lean into it and say you prefer Adam's cover of "Wonderwall" to the orginal...

To which Joe will probably reply something along the lines of, "That twat Ryan Adams can have it. "Wonderwall" is a trash song to begin with that no real Oasis fan would enjoy".

I prefer his cover of Wonderwall. So does Noel, he exclusively does that version live now and not his own original…

The only one that can save me is Dewsbury Hall.
I don’t give a fuck, The Joshua Tree still rules.
I went to the Joshua Tree tour in 2018-ish and it was FABULOUS. That album is stellar.

Back