Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Watching Orville Peck on the Lollapalooza stream…

1. his voice is annoying
2. He is as inauthentic as any singer I’ve ever heard - I just don’t believe him
3. It’s not even country, it’s the cure with a bad twang singer
4. You hipsters like him cause of his schtick
5. He might as well be Father John McPrissy Pants (except FJM does actually have a nice voice)
Yeesh. “You Hipsters”.

1. to each their own but to my ear dude’s vocals are in the same realm as other crooners such as ; Morrissey, Johnny Cash, Chris Isaac, Roy Orbison

2. Musicans have shticks. Bowie wasn’t really a space alien, Dylan wasn’t really a hobo tramp.

3. I don’t think anyone has was ever presented Orville as Pure or Authentic Country.

4. Personally I enjoyed his music in spite of his shtick initially

5. Father John Misty is another talented artist that “Purists” whine about inauthenticy. When he has always been open and upfront about his public persona being phony in a much more legitimate way than many artist who claim to be “real”. If you don’t enjoy his persona that’s fine but getting huffy about it being inauthentic is a bit rich

Yeesh. “You Hipsters”.

1. to each their own but to my ear dude’s vocals are in the same realm as other crooners such as ; Morrissey, Johnny Cash, Chris Isaac, Roy Orbison

2. Musicans have shticks. Bowie wasn’t really a space alien, Dylan wasn’t really a hobo tramp.

3. I don’t think anyone has was ever presented Orville as Pure or Authentic Country.

4. Personally I enjoyed his music in spite of his shtick initially

5. Father John Misty is another talented artist that “Purists” whine about inauthenticy. When he has always been open and upfront about his public persona being phony in a much more legitimate way than many artist who claim to be “real”. If you don’t enjoy his persona that’s fine but getting huffy about it being inauthentic is a bit rich
A. This is the hot takes thread
B. My FJM comparison was not so much about schtick as he’s another artist that lots of people I dig the music taste of seem to be into that I don’t only not get down with, but actively dislike the music of.

Last edited:
A. This is the hot takes thread
B. My FJM comparison was not so much about schtick as he’s another artist that’s lots of people I dig the music taste of seem to be into that I don’t only not get down with, but actively dislike the music of.
I. Do we need a separate “hot reaction” thread? I figured if you were not wanting discourse about your hot take you wouldn’t have posted it in an internet forum

II. The main issue that detractors seem to have with both artist has more to do with their respective stage personas than their actual music abilities. I am of the opinion if most of the critics had heard their music objectively prior to heavy publicity pushing their shticks most would have a vastly different opinion. Speaking personally it took time in both instances for me to give either a fair shake because the hype machine spent more time pushing the personas than the music and my natural inclination is to discount attention seeking gimmicks as “lesser than”. But in both instances I was able to overcome my initial bias and have been rewarded for it with great tunes. If your issue is a genuine disdain for the music itself than I can certainly appreciate that. It just seemed that more of your concerns were about his persona than his music.

III. It’s slow at work today and debating music on the internet is helping me pass the time.

IV. No hard feelings I ❤️ you Lee!

Last edited:
I. Do we need a separate “hot reaction” thread? I figured if you were not wanting discourse about your hot take you wouldn’t have posted it in an internet forum

II. The main issue that detractors seem to have with both artist has more to do with their respective stage personas than their actual music abilities. I am of the opinion if most of the critics had heard their music objectively prior to heavy publicity pushing their shticks most would have a vastly different opinion. Speaking personally it took time in both instances for me to give either a fair shake because the hype machine spent more time pushing the personas than the music and my natural inclination is to discount attention seeking gimmicks as “lesser than”. But in both instances I was able to overcome my initial bias and have been rewarded for it with great tunes. If you issue is a genuine disdain for the music itself than I can certainly appreciate that. It just seemed that more of your concerns were about his persona than his music.

III. It’s slow at work today and debating music on the internet is helping me pass the time.

IV. No hard feelings I ❤️ you Lee!
I spent a year listening to FJM. Culminating in seeing him live. This is when I decided he wasn’t for me. Besides the fact that I just couldn’t with the world view he presents in his music… seeing young women singing along to the song that’s a letter from a hotel about how awful a person he is like it was brown-eyed girl sealed the deal in my trying to figure out if I could deal with the satire. Like I said, he has a nice voice… I just can’t with everything else.

I have not spent as much time with Peck, but I don’t enjoy his voice. I don’t even mind his schtick. Just don’t like the music.

There is merit into deep dives even in musicians I don’t like as Jethro Tull has become a fave of mine even though I had long written them off and i owe a debt to @HiFi Guy for that

I spent a year listening to FJM. Culminating in seeing him live. This is when I decided he wasn’t for me. Besides the fact that I just couldn’t with the world view he presents in his music… seeing young women singing along to the song that’s a letter from a hotel about how awful a person he is like it was brown-eyed girl sealed the deal in my trying to figure out if I could deal with the satire. Like I said, he has a nice voice… I just can’t with everything else.

I have not spent as much time with Peck, but I don’t enjoy his voice. I don’t even mind his schtick. Just don’t like the music.

There is merit into deep dives even in musicians I don’t like as Jethro Tull has become a fave of mine even though I had long written them off and i owe a debt to @HiFi Guy for that
I can appreciate all of that. I understand people not enjoying either artist’s stage persona or music. That makes sense to me. It’s the attacks on inauthenticity that ruffle my feathers a bit.

I don't know. I don't think they're either over or underrated. Perfectly rated. I usually hear people talk about them with respect they deserve.
I do kind of agree with @Benhawaii a bit as far as people not appreciating how good this threesome was for the better part of 50 years and as @Yer Ol' Uncle D mentioned in another thread, with the same 3 guys. Underrated may be the wrong word, but I find that with a lot of the groups us "Older" guys grew up with its always interesting that people who say they appreciate good music in its entirety don't know about a lot of these bands, ZZ Top being one of them.

The music appreciation door swings in funny ways sometimes, I take the time to check out new bands, new genres and am thrilled to say that on more than one occasion find myself being a new fan, but I also find that some "younger" music fans tend to block out a lot of the music of the past unless it's a heavy hitter like Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.

Years ago when I was working retail, and I still tell this story because it just makes me smile, we had a CD player and would bring in our own music to close the store to. I brought in some Wings one night and one of my female co-workers loved the music, after some back and forth conversation and bringing up The Beatles, she said to me, "You mean Paul McCartney was in another band before Wings?" ..........out of the mouths of babes, lol

I do kind of agree with @Benhawaii a bit as far as people not appreciating how good this threesome was for the better part of 50 years and as @Yer Ol' Uncle D mentioned in another thread, with the same 3 guys. Underrated may be the wrong word, but I find that with a lot of the groups us "Older" guys grew up with its always interesting that people who say they appreciate good music in its entirety don't know about a lot of these bands, ZZ Top being one of them.

The music appreciation door swings in funny ways sometimes, I take the time to check out new bands, new genres and am thrilled to say that on more than one occasion find myself being a new fan, but I also find that some "younger" music fans tend to block out a lot of the music of the past unless it's a heavy hitter like Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.
Maybe it's all a reflection of circles as well. I'm in my late 30s and had a close group of friends in high school and we all (mostly) played instruments. One friend had a basement where we all would meet and bring our stuff cause we kept a drum set there, had a big ol Twin Reverb, and PA. Of course, a lot of us played guitar and so a group like ZZ Top with a guitarist like Billy Gibbons was often on the stereo (a bunch of us collected records then too) and in our discussions. Plus seeing some of the later success they had with music videos, I guess I kind of always saw them as being well lauded. In general, I find the idea of "over" and "under" rated to be unwieldy. It def works for some cult artists but is often - IMO/E - a shorthand of the individual to express their personal admiration.

Side note, I got to see them once in my early 20s and it was fantastic what those three guys could do to a stage.

I don’t know if this is a hot take but I need to vent.
Great gets used far too often when describing something. Most of the time it’s used in conjunction with an album.
Also I’m beginning to despise when people preface their “this is the greatest ska album ever recorded” statement with IMO.

I feel slightly better.
Thanks.

Also I’m beginning to despise when people preface their “this is the greatest ska album ever recorded” statement with IMO.

How come specifically for that genre? Is this a habit among ska fans?

Imma take a shot in the dark but is it because saying "the greatest ska album" is a lot like saying "the tastiest garbage"?

Back