Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Mesh WiFi system? I'm between the Google Wifi and Eero, with the latter being more expensive but has recently introduced a 2nd generation. Would really prefer Google to integrate their Google Home system into their units so I can consolidate some gadgets.

Last night I moved our WiFi into a more ideal location and seem to be getting better results, but this is 4 year old equipment and we now have an extra grand or so square footage to cover + outdoor range.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Mesh WiFi system? I'm between the Google Wifi and Eero, with the latter being more expensive but has recently introduced a 2nd generation. Would really prefer Google to integrate their Google Home system into their units so I can consolidate some gadgets.

Last night I moved our WiFi into a more ideal location and seem to be getting better results, but this is 4 year old equipment and we now have an extra grand or so square footage to cover + outdoor range.
If you find something that works, let me know. I spent some time in the Home Improvement thread in the Other Place bouncing ideas off people, trying to get a decent signal in my old-ass apartment, and after tangoing with Comcast for a few weeks decided crappy wi-fi is just a fact of life.

I've learned a valuable lesson in home ownership today.

What was first supposed to be a $2700 plumbing job where they would not pour back the concrete slab, turned into a $2000 job where they poured the concrete back and did some additional replacements. Job started at 7 and finished by 12. Always get a second bid! My steps are a little lighter today.

Now to organize the drywall install, repainting, pack up, abatement, hotel stay, and floor replacement. Should be done by the end of the month.

I'm buying the Google one today. Reviews put it far and away the best option out there. And as long as it doesn't listen to me in my home in okay with it.

I'm buying the Google one today. Reviews put it far and away the best option out there. And as long as it doesn't listen to me in my home in okay with it.
Well damnit I need someone to listen to me because my wife sure doesn't!

tenor.gif

So I just set up the Google Mesh and I can confirm it's insanely fast and just works. I went from almost 0 wifi in garage to 95 MBPS and my phone is getting 400. Nuts. PARTY GARAGE IS FULLY OPERATIONAL

98% done with moving in. It's a mess right now, but it's starting to come together! Just finished moving all my furniture in. Using the company box truck was extremely nice. All I have left is the kitchen and food stuff and some bathroom things.

But for now, I need a beer, some water, and some relaxing music. So the first album played at my new home is Monster Rally - Crystal Ball.
IMG_20190613_224059.jpg

98% done with moving in. It's a mess right now, but it's starting to come together! Just finished moving all my furniture in. Using the company box truck was extremely nice. All I have left is the kitchen and food stuff and some bathroom things.

But for now, I need a beer, some water, and some relaxing music. So the first album played at my new home is Monster Rally - Crystal Ball.
View attachment 6448

Turntable is always the first thing to set up

I want to know if @6od still has a massive saw hanging from her bedroom wall which is equal parts awesome and terrifying in a good way.
not yet but i will! probably in a different room though cause i got a whole second floor.

here are some before/afters of some areas and i CANNOT BELIEVE I GOT SO MUCH OF THIS DAMAGE OUT.

also i look like i’m cooking meth. okay, pictures:
D53CBB6B-F0A9-4F97-BF72-D5AB49032781.jpeg141E2FF4-D68C-48B6-B88B-A1ADAA60D28A.jpegC95ECC76-4160-4297-BB29-AE9C15A03DD1.jpegBC009697-6F9E-4CB1-8B18-FBB456E3477A.jpeg0A9E92FB-2130-4B70-A0D2-8653D95DE697.jpegF7562A9E-6F5A-4CD5-824F-516FB13911EF.jpegA63A3DE9-CE86-495A-879A-5D6A51B93073.jpeg4AD4382D-A5CD-4CD1-9E5E-9905398423CF.jpegF1834DE8-E118-4B66-A69E-3808F32437B1.jpeg1FBAD84F-514D-4B87-99A3-11E5EC6141AA.jpeg

EDIT: by afters i mean after sanding with 24 grit only... and i haven’t done all the edges which is why the edges still look like shit. i have to finish edging with 24 grit, then drum sander @ 36 grit + edger @ 36, then drum @ 60 + edger @ 60, then drum @ 80 + edger @ 80 - and THEN pole sand the edger marks and hand scrape/sand corners and around door frames.

i am dead. and it feels great.

Last edited:
Back