Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

I mean I wouldn't live for long if I tried that. The first day I took ownership of my house I removed a timer from a step down transformer and a one foot tall flame exploded out of the transformer. The previous owner hadn't insulated the wire.

PAINFUL MAGIC
I have no idea what a step down transformer is but it seems a bit more involved than an outlet or light switch...

I think they missed the target by a bit.
VigorousWeakAnura-size_restricted.gif

With winter in Maine looming and daylight fading more every day while the virus starts its next wave, I got to thinking that our living room needed more light. As rabbit holes go, I really went overboard this time.

Hello...sooo shit is hitting the fan...we moved into our house in September and gave just started doing a whole finished basement and also put in a new fireplace and tile...yay
Well....in the process, we have had our fair share of issues...noticed our crawl space was seeping water so had our outside sewer lines inspected because saw bubbling from outdoor pipe where crawl space was...low and behold our whole line is collapsed and water is flowing toward the house instead of away...so cha Ching need new line out in 💸💸💸

fireplace was put in by a bunch of simpletons I guess because that night notice dripping sound from old chimney cap up to...they came out and rigged up a “cap” (literally told my wife he just bent a piece of metal and screwed it in) well it’s pouring rain here in Ohio and now we have excessive amounts of water coming in🤬

oh and this will now hold up our tile job and other jobs while we wait to hear back from fireplace company

Hello...sooo shit is hitting the fan...we moved into our house in September and gave just started doing a whole finished basement and also put in a new fireplace and tile...yay
Well....in the process, we have had our fair share of issues...noticed our crawl space was seeping water so had our outside sewer lines inspected because saw bubbling from outdoor pipe where crawl space was...low and behold our whole line is collapsed and water is flowing toward the house instead of away...so cha Ching need new line out in 💸💸💸

fireplace was put in by a bunch of simpletons I guess because that night notice dripping sound from old chimney cap up to...they came out and rigged up a “cap” (literally told my wife he just bent a piece of metal and screwed it in) well it’s pouring rain here in Ohio and now we have excessive amounts of water coming in🤬

oh and this will now hold up our tile job and other jobs while we wait to hear back from fireplace company
Houses are the worst. No one should own one, ever.

Buying a new house with all new unknown issues SUCKS. I feel you on all this.

We were told in our "disclosure" that there was a "small trickle" of water in the unfinished space of the basement during heavy rains.

Well... the first heavy rain and there was a damn waterfall coming over the basement wall from the crawlspace. All this was exacerbated because the gutters and drain lines to the street were clogged. We didn't get flooded but it created a feedback loop of water not being able to get away from the house because the sump was trying to pump into clogged drain lines.

We finally solved all these issues with gutter guards, replacing all the drain lines, and moving about 3 yards of dirt to slope around the basement wall. Our sump hardly runs at all now and the pit is usually bone dry by the end of winter.

Buying a new house with all new unknown issues SUCKS. I feel you on all this.

We were told in our "disclosure" that there was a "small trickle" of water in the unfinished space of the basement during heavy rains.

Well... the first heavy rain and there was a damn waterfall coming over the basement wall from the crawlspace. All this was exacerbated because the gutters and drain lines to the street were clogged. We didn't get flooded but it created a feedback loop of water not being able to get away from the house because the sump was trying to pump into clogged drain lines.

We finally solved all these issues with gutter guards, replacing all the drain lines, and moving about 3 yards of dirt to slope around the basement wall. Our sump hardly runs at all now and the pit is usually bone dry by the end of winter.
Yep I’ll be investing in gutter guards soon too...had them in old house and loved them.
We are getting quotes right now about how much it will cost to replace all new pipes out to sewer...roto rooter wants a truck load of cash (fuck them)😂

Back