Hip Hop

I know it got some hate but I really dug his project with Muggs and Iā€™m not usually a fan
Me too. I've never really listened to him until that Muggs produced album and he floated over all of those beats.

Now I've had Mudmouth and the DJ Paul one on repeat while I'm cutting my grass and my mind is blown. Dude really is dope to me I don't really understand the hate

If there are any Cloud Rap fans in here SlyVinyl just dropped the Friendzone instrumental collection. First time on vinyl. These are mostly (all?) Main Attrakionz instrumentals. Very reasonably priced as well....

I canā€™t believe how much money Alchemist just made off, essentially, 10 minutes of music.

2000 copies ranging from $60-$100 gone in 6 minutes. Holy shit!
The worst thing about this: They'll just keep doing these prices...

More power to them. Producers have been fucked for decades by labels & artists & the industry. Good to see at least some of them take matters into their own hands.

And don't forget the time & cost to produce & coordinate the music, and get merch designed & pressed. And I don't know how it usually works if rappers get a cut of the sales or what agreement they have with them. And all the others involved that they gotta break off too. It's not like they're pocketing that whole ~$150k from those 2000 copies.

I know it got some hate but I really dug his project with Muggs and Iā€™m not usually a fan
Me too. I've never really listened to him until that Muggs produced album and he floated over all of those beats.

Now I've had Mudmouth and the DJ Paul one on repeat while I'm cutting my grass and my mind is blown. Dude really is dope to me I don't really understand the hate

The beats on that Muggs album are an example of what he should have been working with all along. I liked that "Pop The Trunk" joint early on and saw him on a side stage when I was shooting a festival a long time ago, where he sounded decent enough. He's definitely tight with Three 6.

I think the issue with him is that he didn't seem firm enough in his style, so that he started drifting away from what I connect with as hip hop and started embracing more of a Kid Rock type Southern vibe with his Slumerican shit, rather than something that read like the Goodie Mobb Dirty South. Then he linked up with Eminem and I heard some shit that started sounding like Em, which didn't do it for me. I never associated the 2 like that prior and it felt like it would be easy to see him as a corny Em prodigy to anyone without prior reference.

It's interesting, because there have been a small handful of artists who have claimed that Em would use his industry pull to kill their careers or shut them down over the years, often because they were other white dudes. These days, it almost feels like he just absorbs and overshadows or mutes artists in a similar way, whether intentionally or not. He hopped on the Griselda train and did nothing for them. Yelawolf kind of just vanished into the Em/Shady ether, which makes these artists look like they are HIS artists, for those who don't know they already had their own completely independent sound and aesthetic prior to dealing with him. I think it changes the way these artists might be viewed and how well they'll be embraced when they wind up presented as some young signee, rather than more self made autonomous figures. This is especially true when they allow a label to influence or provide input into their artistic direction. I still don't need Em on Griselda tracks.

Now that he's not signed to Shady anymore, maybe we'll see more depth to this guy. To be fair, maybe he even showed it when he was and I just had zero interest in tuning in for it.

Yoooooo, what a mail day!

My DRW order originally said Monday but updated to today this morning. I love DHL. This had EIF 1/2/3 trifold and a Black alt.cover of the IIBICBK record.

If you recall my dog ruined my IIBICBK Red Stripes vinyl the day I got it before I could spin it. Reached out to Bas and he said he'd check for any replacements they had for me. I never heard anything back from him but when checking the site 1 copy of the alt cover black popped up so I snagged it since I felt bad continuing to ask Bas when really they did nothing wrong and didn't owe me anything. To my surprise, a replacement red stripes copy was also thrown in for me!!

20210430_121842.jpg

I had no idea he had so many projects with DJ Paul. Slumafia bangs!

I didn't either, but I knew they definitely had a good relationship. I think Paul was signed to Yelawolf's Slumerican label at one point and, Yelawolf also appeared on music with that Da Mafia 6ix project that was basically Three 6 without Juicy. I was just looking for the music video and found this.

Back