Hip Hop

I wonder how many of the remaining 4 will be Daupe! releases? I would assume FGiaAG2 and Hitler 8 will be, but will the Shady debut even drop on vinyl since there still hasn't been a WWCD vinyl drop? and will GunnLib be Daupe! or Rappcats?

Yea I doubt the shady will get a vinyl release who knows, but hopefully all the others get picked up

in my opinion Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music is a classic Hip Hop album in the ranks among all the classic Hip Hop albums of the golden era.El-P's Production and Killer Mikes Lyricism is top notch as usual essentially this is a RTJ album.i wish the cd was still easily available speaks to how much i dislike the standard pressing of the vinyl i own.

If I'm remembering correctly, it came out within a week or so of Cancer 4 Cure. When I interviewed El, it was right at that time and about those two releases. They toured them both together on the Into The Wild Tour with Despot and Mr Muthafuckin eXquire

Last edited:
I wonder how many of the remaining 4 will be Daupe! releases? I would assume FGiaAG2 and Hitler 8 will be, but will the Shady debut even drop on vinyl since there still hasn't been a WWCD vinyl drop? and will GunnLib be Daupe! or Rappcats?

RappCats wants at least a piece of everything, generally

speaking of.. did anyone give them more money for the half mastered version of Bandana? I wonder if there's a noticeable difference in sound.

edit: looks like it's sold out so I'll just pretend I don't care :cry:
damn i planned on ordering it sometime later i totally about forgot this.i maybe wrong but i thought they were going to release more copies for the RSD dates, well the '74 cover verson? :(

anyone got Killer Mike R.A.P. Music on vinyl? wondering how the sound quality is. possible hot take, I prefer this album to any RTJ album, most of which don't really excite me for some reason

is their a Music On Vinyl Label pressing of this?if your asking in general how this sounds on vinyl?i have a standard pressing on black vinyl it's a extremely quiet pressing with no bottom end bass have to turn my receiver way up probably one of the worst Hip Hop vinyl pressings in my collection.i have been seeking for the past couple of yrs. for a CD pressing in mint condition it's now out of print and not easy to come by.
so just skimmed around on Side A of R.A.P. Music and I agree with @Vinyl&Kicks86 that it's clean and quiet, but definitely is lacking any sort of oomph you would expect and hope for this album. tinkering with my amp's settings helped, but that shouldn't be necessary for an album like this.

not sure exactly what's going on with the Minneapolis scene as I haven't really followed it for over a decade, but Rhymesayers dropped some dudes over allegations of abuse, Doomtree is calling out P.O.S. over allegations of abuse, etc... but it all sounds like a lot of people knew what they were doing and were letting it slide for a long time. I hope the victims of whatever the abuse was are getting help and healing they deserve.

Last edited:
speaking of.. did anyone give them more money for the half mastered version of Bandana? I wonder if there's a noticeable difference in sound.

edit: looks like it's sold out so I'll just pretend I don't care :cry:
Good news! Sort of..
The half-speed Metropolis UK cut of Bandana was, imo, a fraud. I ordered Bandana standard vinyl, Rappcats alternate cover/Madlib's cut, white vinyl from HHV, and the Metropolis 1/2 speed in search of a decent pressing. The Rappcats alternate cover is slightly better than the others, but the "1/2 speed" sounds like ass just like the regular edition. I was pretty disappointed as I imported this record, the sticker on the front even says remastered at half speed for a "deeper, fuller sound" --acknowledging the shittiness of the regular edition -- but it sounds EXACTLY the same, only difference is hype sticker.

Good news! Sort of..
The half-speed Metropolis UK cut of Bandana was, imo, a fraud. I ordered Bandana standard vinyl, Rappcats alternate cover/Madlib's cut, white vinyl from HHV, and the Metropolis 1/2 speed in search of a decent pressing. The Rappcats alternate cover is slightly better than the others, but the "1/2 speed" sounds like ass just like the regular edition. I was pretty disappointed as I imported this record, the sticker on the front even says remastered at half speed for a "deeper, fuller sound" --acknowledging the shittiness of the regular edition -- but it sounds EXACTLY the same, only difference is hype sticker.
If the source is the same, I don't really buy half speed actually improving sound. It seems pretty rare that anyone thinks half speed cuts are best pressings.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, MoFi is the only half speed mastering company that is almost always very well regarded.

Thanks for the sound reviews. Sorry that you were dissapointed/misled by their claims.

Last edited:
Good news! Sort of..
Is the VMP one just the same as all the others?

I got the standard one when it released but it got a little warped from sitting outside in heat for days and was planning on getting a variant to replace see some point (maybe even the VMP combo of Pinata/Bandana if possible)

Good news! Sort of..

when this was released someone here mentioned to me that half speed mastering was a bit of a gimmick sometimes and I didn’t want to believe it hah. I really have no clue how mastering works so I’m ready to believe whatever selling points these companies throw at me 😂

Didn't an entirely different person master the half speed cut?
Most of the mastering differences would be minor IF the retail version was properly mastered to begin with.
So it sounding similar was always going to happen on those releases.

With out hearing it for myself id expect the half speed cut to just have small improvements here n there that generally most people wouldn't even hear. Maybe "Improvement" Is the wrong word. Lets go with "Different" cause it being better would entirely depend on the listener.
Expecting it to be a complete overhaul is a little much.

Id still buy it if the price was right.

Didn't an entirely different person master the half speed cut?
Most of the mastering differences would be minor IF the retail version was properly mastered to begin with.
So it sounding similar was always going to happen on those releases.

With out hearing it for myself id expect the half speed cut to just have small improvements here n there that generally most people wouldn't even hear. Maybe "Improvement" Is the wrong word. Lets go with "Different" cause it being better would entirely depend on the listener.
Expecting it to be a complete overhaul is a little much.

Id still buy it if the price was right.

I'm not sure who did the half speed cut, but to add further confusion, the test press version is a completely different cut. That one is also a European press but cut by Bernie Grundman. Guess I'll just wait for the 2xLP 45 RPM version or the re-remaster coming out next year followed by the 7" boxset version... (these aren't real things)

I'm not sure who did the half speed cut, but to add further confusion, the test press version is a completely different cut. That one is also a European press but cut by Bernie Grundman. Guess I'll just wait for the 2xLP 45 RPM version or the re-remaster coming out next year followed by the 7" boxset version... (these aren't real things)

It is annoying all that shenigans.
Still doesnt sit right with me that whole alternative cut release they did.
Maybe I wouldve been happier bout it if they didnt charge me for the original version they also included in the package.

Back