Hip Hop

Man, this new VMP rising artist is great!!!! Dua Saleh - Nur

I'm on track 3 on her bandcamp and WOW! Really awesome voice and some witty bars

Sometimes I feel like VMP just looks for women hiphop artist to be "edgy" or something.

Luckily for us they have picked a few good ones :) and Im listening to this link u put up and its decent!

READ SINNER, READ!!

Man, this new VMP rising artist is great!!!! Dua Saleh - Nur

I'm on track 3 on her bandcamp and WOW! Really awesome voice and some witty bars

Rich, jazzy, and beautifully recorded you say?????

TPAB TPAB TPAB! To. Pimp. A. Butterfly.

View attachment 286

TPAB is a hell of a record, but it's one that I appreciate more than love. Not anything to do with its quality, just...a little bit of that outsider thing, I guess. It's an album that makes me feel like an imposter for enjoying it.

I should have thought to talk about this in my original post:

a) I love the production. it's rich, jazzy and beautifully recorded.
b) I think their songwriting perspective as a group of experienced older guys is kind of fascinating. I find a lot of r&hh to be...not to sound too white, but kinda crass? or at least not of a worldview I easily identify with. ATCQ feel grown and introspective.
c) love the group dynamic, swapping verses, etc.
d) it's an album that feels weirdly welcoming to me, a cultural outsider. a lot of r&hh leaves me feeling a little alien.

While I appreciate a lot of rap from an artistic or technical perspective (Kendrick, De La Soul, Main Source, Mick Jenkins), for whatever reason this is one of only a few records in the genre I find myself wanting to return to repeatedly. But I'm always looking to broaden my horizons.

I would check out One Day It'll All Make Sense by Common. I think it hits a lot of notes from what you mentioned there. No I.D. does a great job with the production, the subject matter is a little more heady/less crass than other examples. I'd say that its more rooted in a slightly dustier hip-hop aesthetic than the Tribe record and doesn't quite explore as far sonically, but still jazzy.

Another one to check for is Q-Tip's The Renaissance. He's in Tribe, so the subject matter really fits there and its also a lusher sounding record like the Tribe record is.

I would check out One Day It'll All Make Sense by Common. I think it hits a lot of notes from what you mentioned there. No I.D. does a great job with the production, the subject matter is a little more heady/less crass than other examples. I'd say that its more rooted in a slightly dustier hip-hop aesthetic than the Tribe record and doesn't quite explore as far sonically, but still jazzy.

Another one to check for is Q-Tip's The Renaissance. He's in Tribe, so the subject matter really fits there and its also a lusher sounding record like the Tribe record is.

Both added. Thank you!

I should have thought to talk about this in my original post:

a) I love the production. it's rich, jazzy and beautifully recorded.
b) I think their songwriting perspective as a group of experienced older guys is kind of fascinating. I find a lot of r&hh to be...not to sound too white, but kinda crass? or at least not of a worldview I easily identify with. ATCQ feel grown and introspective.
c) love the group dynamic, swapping verses, etc.
d) it's an album that feels weirdly welcoming to me, a cultural outsider. a lot of r&hh leaves me feeling a little alien.

While I appreciate a lot of rap from an artistic or technical perspective (Kendrick, De La Soul, Main Source, Mick Jenkins), for whatever reason this is one of only a few records in the genre I find myself wanting to return to repeatedly. But I'm always looking to broaden my horizons.

I'm similar, in that many of the R&HH recommendations are NFM, but I'd suggest

Jurassic 5 / Jurassic 5
Guru / Jazzamatazz (either Vol 1 or 2)
Mos Def / Black on both Sides
Gang Starr / Step In the Arena
Black Star / Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star

Tyler up y'all:
Tyler, the Creator - Igor
SPECIAL_VINYL__35637.1558022430.jpg

I'm similar, in that many of the R&HH recommendations are NFM, but I'd suggest

Jurassic 5 / Jurassic 5
Guru / Jazzamatazz (either Vol 1 or 2)