Hip Hop

I haven’t enjoyed a Tyler album since Bastard and I haven’t listened to that in ages. Maybe this’ll be different but I’ve always just been more on the Earl, Domo and Hodgy train when it came to wolf gang.

Edit: I will say I have enjoyed songs here and there. Just can’t say I’ve been excited for him to release anything in years now.
This was me, but Flower Boy is really good, so I'll give the new one a chance. It's hardly highly anticipated for me tho

I just bought every single thing he had during that sale lol but yeah its insane I cant own Anghellic and that old stuff on vinyl :(

So what's the earliest tech on vinyl? I'm going through discogs and I never realized how few of his early stuff has vinyl. Would be great if someone pressed some of that stuff.

Y'all have any recommendations if the only non-RTJ r&hh record I've ever truly gotten into is A Tribe Called Quest's We Got It From Here...?
Boogie Down Productions, De La, Public Enemy, Organized Konfusion, Jean Grae, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, Abstract Rude, Dilated Peoples, Cannibal Ox, Aesop Rock, Dave, Little Simz, Milo, Billy Woods, Quelle Chris

That should get you started

Also, I would add Earl Sweatshirt, Atmosphere, Vince Staples, Action Bronson, and Kendrick Lamar

What about the Tribe record pulls you in? Its easy to spit off a bunch of recommendations, but is rather they branch off from what you like gradually.

I should have thought to talk about this in my original post:

a) I love the production. it's rich, jazzy and beautifully recorded.
b) I think their songwriting perspective as a group of experienced older guys is kind of fascinating. I find a lot of r&hh to be...not to sound too white, but kinda crass? or at least not of a worldview I easily identify with. ATCQ feel grown and introspective.
c) love the group dynamic, swapping verses, etc.
d) it's an album that feels weirdly welcoming to me, a cultural outsider. a lot of r&hh leaves me feeling a little alien.

While I appreciate a lot of rap from an artistic or technical perspective (Kendrick, De La Soul, Main Source, Mick Jenkins), for whatever reason this is one of only a few records in the genre I find myself wanting to return to repeatedly. But I'm always looking to broaden my horizons.

Back