Hip Hop

Hemlock Ernst & Kenny Segal - Back at the House
2B239D6D-D70F-47F5-A35F-51D0C701ACDD.jpeg
Thanks for posting it, had to order. At least it's marked down 🙄. Not too bad including shipping.

Also copped Back at the House. Listened to a minute of the single and any second thoughts I had Hemlock holding down a project by himself immediately left. That dude has no business being as good at rap as he is while he’s also fronting Future Islands.

Gotta give VMP some credit for making Terror Management album of the week.

Why?

Call me when their editorial staff has an original opinion not birthed from '95-'05 nostalgia or internet message board hype. I mean I'm glad that album is getting some press too, but I'm doubtful VMP and VMP staff are listening to or fans of Billy Woods' albums.

Because they did an exclusive of Danny Brown but chose Billy Woods as their Album of the week...
Maybe because Danny Brown is long sold out and they don’t need more advertising.
Nonetheless, I really welcome their pick and the write-up.
I don’t know if some of their staff are fans or not - and frankly I don’t care - but not everything VMP related has to be bad per se.
And they included Hiding Places in their "Best Albums Of The Year 2019 So Far" - so there has to be someone really liking it.

Reactions: oak
Because they did an exclusive of Danny Brown but chose Billy Woods as their Album of the week...
Maybe because Danny Brown is long sold out and they don’t need more advertising.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything but OK.

Nowhere in my post did I suggest everything VMP related was bad. I provided an opinion that their support for Terror Mgmt. wasn't a genuine love for the artist or that specific work.

I'm sorry you felt the need to respond as if I attacked you personally with comments about VMP and their hip hop editorial choices.

As has been said many many many times before there is a thread to discuss VMP hip-hop if that's your thing.

They will almost certainly have been pulled from sale for copyright infringement, no way all four of those 7"s sold out within an hour...

I don't know about that. The EPMD one was available a couple hours after it went up, I just didn't check out in time. They were limited to 300/each and the originals are crazy expensive so this doesn't really surprise me.

Why?

Call me when their editorial staff has an original opinion not birthed from '95-'05 nostalgia or internet message board hype. I mean I'm glad that album is getting some press too, but I'm doubtful VMP and VMP staff are listening to or fans of Billy Woods' albums.
I didn't mean take it that far. I just mean I was happily surprised by that pick. I respect that they picked this album, this week. Not saying it makes me respect the quality of their overall editorial output outside of this one choice.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything but OK.

Nowhere in my post did I suggest everything VMP related was bad. I provided an opinion that their support for Terror Mgmt. wasn't a genuine love for the artist or that specific work.

I'm sorry you felt the need to respond as if I attacked you personally with comments about VMP and their hip hop editorial choices.

As has been said many many many times before there is a thread to discuss VMP hip-hop if that's your thing.
I wasn’t feeling attacked by your message at all. Sorry if it came out that way, really no harm intended.
I just thought that @dhodo thought it’s been a nice gesture that they were taking Woods over Brown - and wanted to note that they included him in their AOTY list.

Sorry again.

Probably be a safe bet to sell if you end up not liking it as ruby yacht is not great at repressing. Unless every other song ends up godawful!

Currently at 179/250

Y. This is something I don't need to hear the whole way through. The first track is solid and there's no reason not to have extreme confidence in anything Kenny Segal touches. Well worth any risk 4 moi.

Y. This is something I don't need to hear the whole way through. The first track is solid and there's no reason not to have extreme confidence in anything Kenny Segal touches. Well worth any risk 4 moi.
Oh yeah, I don't know if I've heard a Hemlock Ernst verse I didn't like either. I'm all in, just trying to give @MikeH a nudge.

I wasn’t feeling attacked by your message at all. Sorry if it came out that way, really no harm intended.
I just thought that @dhodo thought it’s been a nice gesture that they were taking Woods over Brown - and wanted to note that they included him in their AOTY list.

Sorry again.

No worries.
It is a nice gesture (totally agree).
(y)

I know this wasn't anyone's intent, but I don't want to award that company any medals for hip hop awareness / dedication to the art form until they consistently demonstrate that they are not just making picks based on internet hype or their own personal nostalgia. That's only my opinion and I'm not trying to force it on anyone who supports the company. I'm glad their audience is getting exposed to the albums mentioned.

So I skipped the Daupe release today (the monoply theme was pretty cool) but it's not like I was being fiscally responsible the past 48 hrs.
I wanted that new Chris Crack, which was super pricey. Found a decent price on Thanks Uncle Trill, and copped that as well. I missed that Daupe drop for some unfortunate work related reason. Then I grabbed back at the house today.

I'm passed the FOMO stage but sometimes my collection obsession still gets the best of me.

Last edited:
Back