Hip Hop

If you missed out on CRIMEAPPLE and DJ Skizz's Wet Dirt from Daupe, there seems to be another pressing available, not from Daupe, in the highly appropriate color of brown, at Fat Beats....

Seems like this is the first time a Daupe release is getting a re-release from another label. Interesting.... :unsure:

Damn, I just realized this has the OG cover which I like A LOT better. Might have to grab this...
Different Worlds Music Group? Curious if this is coming with the original cover art, also says it has a poster included... dayum...

If you missed out on CRIMEAPPLE and DJ Skizz's Wet Dirt from Daupe, there seems to be another pressing available, not from Daupe, in the highly appropriate color of brown, at Fat Beats....

Seems like this is the first time a Daupe release is getting a re-release from another label. Interesting.... :unsure:

Damn, I just realized this has the OG cover which I like A LOT better. Might have to grab this...
Different Worlds Music Group? Curious if this is coming with the original cover art, also says it has a poster included... dayum...

I wonder how long until DRW, Griselda, and Daupe all start doing reissues.

Seems inevitable with the amount of demand vs. the amount of supply.

I think this is a label related to DJ Skizz. They also released his High Powered and Cruise Control albums. I'm thinking it will be the OG artwork. I think that other artwork was a Daupe exclusive.

I wonder how long until DRW, Griselda, and Daupe all start doing reissues.

Seems inevitable with the amount of demand vs. the amount of supply.
Daupe always prides itself on not doing reissues. Quality over Quantity is their mantra. I get that, but I also want Flygod, Griselda Ghost and about 10 other releases I missed, so they can feel free to break their word whenever they want...

Daupe always prides itself on not doing reissues. Quality over Quantity is their mantra. I get that, but I also want Flygod, Griselda Ghost and about 10 other releases I missed, so they can feel free to break their word whenever they want...
What about what they do is higher quality than releases that aren't severely limited? It seems like expensive manufactured scarcity hype over widely available reasonably priced release to me.

What about what they do is higher quality than releases that aren't severely limited? It seems like manufactured scarcity hype over widely available reasonably priced release to me.
"Manufactured scarcity" makes no sense in this regard. They could repress every Griselda album in their catalog and probably make a million dollars. They haven't and likely won't. Manufactured scarcity only makes sense when you can't move product so you have to create some reason for people to pick it up. These albums sell out in 5 minutes. If they doubled the run, they'd sell out in 10.

And in terms of quality, yes their releases are pretty high quality relative to the price. I have no issues with any of the Daupe releases I've received. No warps, good quality jackets and the vinyl looks like the mockups. And their albums aren't unreasonably-priced. Their 2xLPs are priced below most fellow hip hop labels single LPs (including Fxck Rxp, DRW, Tuff Kong, GGBR, etc). It's not fair to blame them for international shipping. And unlike companies like DRW who seem to release 2-3 albums at least every couple of weeks, Daupe releases one album per month from a specific stable of artists. It's considerably more curated. That's another aspect of quality and not quantity

Well I hope for the sake of everyone who has spent an enormous amount of money on the EPs and LPs, OBIs, and whatnots that they don't do represses and this is just a coincidence.

Hopefully it won't sell well, because if it does....I really can't see these labels saying nahh we don't want more money from our old stuff.

"Manufactured scarcity" makes no sense in this regard. They could repress every Griselda album in their catalog and probably make a million dollars. They haven't and likely won't. Manufactured scarcity only makes sense when you can't move product so you have to create some reason for people to pick it up. These albums sell out in 5 minutes. If they doubled the run, they'd sell out in 10.
What are the original list prices? Maybe I got their prices confused.

How is what you described not manufactured scarcity? They are choosing to keep it scarce to build the hype. You might think they don't need that hype any more, but if they agree with you, why keep doing runs that sell out that fast?

It certainly has nothing to do with quality. The pressing plants and printing plants don't change quality with numbers. Unless you go into the tens of thousands of presses on the same stamper.

Well I hope for the sake of everyone who has spent an enormous amount of money on the EPs and LPs, OBIs, and whatnots that they don't do represses and this is just a coincidence.

Hopefully it won't sell well, because if it does....I really can't see these labels saying nahh we don't want more money from our old stuff.
I really don't get this attitude. I can't imagine being pissed that more people can get their hands on records that I like and more money goes into the pockets of artists I'm a fan of.

Reactions: oak
I really don't get this attitude. I can't imagine being pissed that more people can get their hands on records that I like and more money goes into the pockets of artists I'm a fan of.

I always assumed the reason why the prices for these releases are always so high is because the exclusivity factor, and the understanding that it's super limited...If I have been paying 60 buacks for 8 track LPs and now they're doing variants for less than half that price I'd be annoyed.

I always assumed the reason why the prices for these releases are always so high is because the exclusivity factor, and the understanding that it's super limited...If I have been paying 60 buacks for 8 track LPs and now they're doing variants for less than half that price I'd be annoyed.
I understand that to some degree, but that's why it's manufactured scarcity for new issues. There isn't any reason other than someone's choice that they aren't pressing more. They could change their mind at any moment. It happens all the time with reissues. There's also some that don't ever get reissued for whatever reason. I feel like you have to know that going in.

All my point was though is that if I was sitting in my home upset that other people get to own a record they want and that artist gets more money, just because my discogs price might go down, I'd feel like a jerk.

I guess it would be upsetting if you were promised that there would never be a reissue and that is why you bought, but I guess that's hard for me to relate to.

What are the original list prices? Maybe I got their prices confused.

The last 2xLP I got from them I believe was around $34 before shipping after currency conversion.

How is what you described not manufactured scarcity? They are choosing to keep it scarce to build the hype. You might think they don't need that hype any more, but if they agree with you, why keep doing runs that sell out that fast?

One, if nearly every album they release sells out in 5 minutes, I think they're beyond needing to "build the hype". Two, by this definition, any number pressed below infinity could be manufactured scarcity as long as it sells out. They don't press the same amount of albums for every release. WSG pressings usually hit around 1000, whereas Vic Spencer and Chris Crack's may top out at 500. I believe they pressed over 2000 of the GFK/Big Ghost release and it's still available. So it's not "manufactured scarcity". They print the amount of records they KNOW they can sell, just like every other knowledgable label does.

I had a conversation with the owner of Fat Beats about this very issue, relating to Alchemist releases, that seem under-pressed. He told me that Alchemist was doing small pressings for albums, then he did a pressing of 1000 for the original press of French Blends and they didn't move and he was stuck with them. Sure, there's an element of scarcity, as with any release. But "manufactured scarcity" implies some malfeasance and that seems completely misplaced here.

The last 2xLP I got from them I believe was around $34 before shipping after currency conversion.

One, if nearly every album they release sells out in 5 minutes, I think they're beyond needing to "build the hype". Two, by this definition, any number pressed below infinity could be manufactured scarcity as long as it sells out. They don't press the same amount of albums for every release. WSG pressings usually hit around 1000, whereas Vic Spencer and Chris Crack's may top out at 500. I believe they pressed over 2000 of the GFK/Big Ghost release and it's still available. So it's not "manufactured scarcity". They print the amount of records they KNOW they can sell, just like every other knowledgable label does.

I had a conversation with the owner of Fat Beats about this very issue, relating to Alchemist releases, that seem under-pressed. He told me that Alchemist was doing small pressings for albums, then he did a pressing of 1000 for the original press of French Blends and they didn't move and he was stuck with them. Sure, there's an element of scarcity, as with any release. But "manufactured scarcity" implies some malfeasance and that seems completely misplaced here.
I'm not sure where you're getting any implication of malfeasance. If that's loaded you can call it artificial scarcity if you want. It literally means that you choose to make something scarce even if you could make more. What you described about Fatbeats is exactly why artificial scarcity is employed.

That price is pretty high for new music but unfortunately not too rare these days especially with monopoly pricing like this.

Reactions: oak
I'm not sure where you're getting any implication of malfeasance. If that's loaded you can call it artificial scarcity if you want. It literally means that you choose to make something scarce even if you could make more. What you described about Fatbeats is exactly why artificial scarcity is employed.

Which, by your definition, means any number below infinity could be deemed artificial scarcity. Any company COULD make more of any item they sale.

Artificial scarcity is a tactic used to drive up prices or force the sale of an item that otherwise wouldn’t sell on its merits and needs the hype. Neither of those conditions apply to Daupe’s releases in 2019.

Which, by your definition, means any number below infinity could be deemed artificial scarcity. Any company COULD make more of any item they sale.

Artificial scarcity is a tactic used to drive up prices or force the sale of an item that otherwise wouldn’t sell on its merits and needs the hype. Neither of those conditions apply to Daupe’s releases in 2019.
I really don't understand what you're arguing against here. Sorry you have an issue with my termanology. Have a good one.

I assumed the quality/quantity thing with daupe was referring to which releases they choose to do and not the numbers they press up
Exactly. This is a point I made in my first response. Quality doesn’t just mean quality of the vinyl (which theirs is excellent, IMO).

Thinking about it, if you commit to buying their one release a month, it works like a slightly more expensive but significantly doper VMP (pun intended).

Back