Hip Hop

Streaming doesn't make anyone any money though. Kendrick fans buy his album. Same with Drake. Same with Cardi B. Unfortunately for the majority of 'indie' artists, their fans are happy to stream. And when they sell units.. Noname sold .. what, 2000 copies of her absolutely critically acclaimed album over the course of a couple months. Westside Gunn can sell 1500 records in 6 minutes at $60 a pop. And he ain't even close to seeing people who are beneath Drake's level. Like.. there is worlds of difference between selling like Cardi B and selling like Noname. And money is vastly different too. And ultimately this is the music business. So until that changes, stream away and appear at festivals (not as a headliner) while the Cardi B's and the Drakes of the world sell millions of copies of their album, stream and sell out arena tours.

And the fans are not blameless here.. I don't know why you think they are. I mean, I was naive twenty years ago thinking that if only people could hear the other music being made out there, these artists would be stars. And guess what? Most of the people I think should be stars are still nobodies to the majority of the world because they just don't care about that stuff. They don't. And once you figure that out, you'll stop paying attention to wtf people like JD have to say about anything.

I gave you examples of how the fans are giving these artists opportunities like late night television appearances, festival appearances, sold out tours, and a social media presence. You ignored all of that which is cool. This got way off track any ways because he was asked to name his favorite female rappers, and all he could say is "i dont know. They all sound like strippers competing to tell the best story."

Its been a trending topic on various media outlets today and Twitter. So i brought it up. I could care less about JDs opinion. Just wanted everyone here to chime in

I am probably guilty of not giving female rappers they due. I generally only listen to male rappers for the most part and tbh I dont know why.
Its not like I sit around going..damn I need some male vocals in my life lol.

So in a way I think he has a bit of a point cause some of the lyrical content of female rappers is complete trash and sex work gimmicky (or just actual sex worker rap lol) I fucking hate cardi B as a person and her voice is what they should use to play to torture people. I actually liked nicki minaj when she first dropped in the scene but I feel she taken her sex gimmick way to far and its kinda killed it for me. (I like looking tho lol)

I only bump Lil Simz,Lauryn Hill, Gangsta Boo, La Chat,Tierra Whack and I got alot love for Missy Elliot and some old school queen latifah.

I gave you examples of how the fans are giving these artists opportunities like late night television appearances, festival appearances, sold out tours, and a social media presence. You ignored all of that which is cool. This got way off track any ways because he was asked to name his favorite female rappers, and all he could say is "i dont know. They all sound like strippers competing to tell the best story."

Late night television appearance? Does that make the artist money? No.

Festival appearances? Ok.. there are a shit tonne of non-mainstream male artists who make festival appearances too. Still not making that much money.

Sold out (Small) tours make little to no money.

I didn't ignore any of it.. you just keep ignoring the fact that money is a huge part of this and none of what you listed is making them the kinda money that Cardi B or Drake is making. I don't know how else to tell you this,.

Regardless of the fact of whatever he said, both you and @BradwiseBeats are ignoring the painful truths of the situation. If we had more successful (read: making real actual money) artists like this, we'd see a proliferation of them. But they are few and far between right now so to think they'll ever reach star/superstar status is a pipe dream at this point.

It's like wondering why MF Doom isn't selling a million records every time he drops.

It's like wondering why MF Doom isn't selling a million records every time he drops.

No, it's like Jermaine Dupri saying there needs to be a lyrical rapper that wears a metal mask to change the game in 2019...itd be a dumbass statement and out of touch

There are plenty of women in people's faces who aren't "strippers competing to tell the best story" they're in every outlet I mentioned. ABC NBC CBS (where theyve all performed) are on almost every TV in America. Everyone sees some of them at some point on the front page or playlist of their streaming platform of choice. Hes out of touch

Not to mention Tierra's song is on a Walgreens commercial ive seen every day this week. Kodi Shane is on the new Aprite commercial.

Last edited:

I dont know how legally it could happen but I am not complaining lol
If it can be legally put on streaming platforms does that mean an official vinyl release isnt entirely absurd?

I would LOVE this in my collection. Solid mixtape.

I dont know how legally it could happen but I am not complaining lol
If it can be legally put on streaming platforms does that mean an official vinyl release isnt entirely absurd?

I would LOVE this in my collection. Solid mixtape.

That would be crazy!! I hope so

R-13493824-1555252355-8512.jpeg.jpg

Bought my first ever stand alone 7 inch today lol

Need one of them adapter things..anyone know a good one?

As if most mainstream male rappers don't make songs about getting their dick sucked, pimping, trapping and fucking your girl because their clothes and cars are nicer.....who gives a fuck. I enjoy all kinds of rap. Fuck Jermaine Dupri. Same guy who thought he was more influential that Outkast.

As if most mainstream male rappers don't make songs about getting their dick sucked, pimping, trapping and fucking your girl because their clothes and cars are nicer.....who gives a fuck. I enjoy all kinds of rap. Fuck Jermaine Dupri. Same guy who thought he was more influential that Outkast.
Did you see he announced a show about finding dope female MCs? Made it seem like a (bad) publicity stunt.

Did you see he announced a show about finding dope female MCs? Made it seem like a (bad) publicity stunt.

So let me get this right.....He went on this all female hosted daytime talk show, to blank on purpose when asked who his favorite female rappers were......just so he can then say he couldn't name his faves because they're all strippers competing to tell the best story, but that was all a bigger plot so he can reveal his upcoming show to find the best female MC.......

Bruv, that is the stupidest marketing move i've ever seen especially in 2019 when everyone takes offense to everything celebs say. I'm glad Twitter roasted him. im glad Joe Budden n friends mentioned it. Complex, Vibe and XXL too. That is nuts and a BS way to get promo

Maxo is AOTW over at the gum

So let me get this right.....He went on this all female hosted daytime talk show, to blank on purpose when asked who his favorite female rappers were......just so he can then say he couldn't name his faves because they're all strippers competing to tell the best story, but that was all a bigger plot so he can reveal his upcoming show to find the best female MC.......

Bruv, that is the stupidest marketing move i've ever seen especially in 2019 when everyone takes offense to everything celebs say. I'm glad Twitter roasted him. im glad Joe Budden n friends mentioned it. Complex, Vibe and XXL too. That is nuts and a BS way to get promo
Oh, I don't think it really was the plan from the beginning. But, it came off like he was trying to turn all the bad publicity into press for some new thing, like oh I'm sorry I don't know any good female rappers, let me do this thing so I can find them.

Maybe I'm too cynical but to me it reads like, ok I figured out a way to try to make money off this. Meanwhile he keeps liking and retweeting people saying they agree with his initial statement.

Maxo is AOTW over at the gum

I CANT WAIT FOR THIS! I hope he does physical releases and goes back and releases Punken one day on vinyl. love me some Maxo

Oh, I don't think it really was the plan from the beginning. But, it came off like he was trying to turn all the bad publicity into press for some new thing, like oh I'm sorry I don't know any good female rappers, let me do this thing so I can find them.

Maybe I'm too cynical but to me it reads like, ok I figured out a way to try to make money off this. Meanwhile he keeps liking and retweeting people saying they agree with his initial statement.

Gotcha. Either way he's an out of touch bum. How can you be so unaware about the culture that gave you your whole life.

If you missed out on CRIMEAPPLE and DJ Skizz's Wet Dirt from Daupe, there seems to be another pressing available, not from Daupe, in the highly appropriate color of brown, at Fat Beats....

Seems like this is the first time a Daupe release is getting a re-release from another label. Interesting.... :unsure:

Damn, I just realized this has the OG cover which I like A LOT better. Might have to grab this...

Back