Hip Hop

I think so far it's his best work in a catalogue of classics. I was skeptical of this one too.
Yeah about 4 listens in now and it's all starting to click for me. I can't say it's his best yet but it's just starting to really hit me just how dope of a project this may be.

Like, United in Grief just rolled around again as I'm typing this, and....whoa.

Yeah about 4 listens in now and it's all starting to click for me. I can't say it's his best yet but it's just starting to really hit me just how dope of a project this may be.

Like, United in Grief just rolled around again as I'm typing this, and....whoa.
Mother I Sober...I'm a huge fan of Beth Gibbons so this is one of the first ones I put on. Did not disappoint.

That was my standout out too even on my first listen. Track is crazy.
So many standouts too.
A lot of heavy shit and subject matter.

Someone said this album isn't for anyone younger than like 28 and I can see that. This album is about real adult life shit, growth and hardships. I think it's his realest album, like they're all real but this one is something that only comes with lots of time on this earth. There's no radio shit on this album IMO, just straight hard truth.

It is definitely a lot to take in. 1st listen standouts N95, Die Hard, We Cry Together 👀reminds me of Kim on MMLP, and Auntie Diaries. Music seems minimal compared to his past albums. But maybe I’m wrong on that since I’m listening in a loud environment.

It is definitely a lot to take in. 1st listen standouts N95, Die Hard, We Cry Together 👀reminds me of Kim on MMLP, and Auntie Diaries. Music seems minimal compared to his past albums. But maybe I’m wrong on that since I’m listening in a loud environment.
Lots of complaints about the production I've seen so far, and I get why people would arrive there after his previous albums but for me I think it's an album that needs to be a bit more tame on the production side. I'm okay with minimalist production if the lyrics are there, makes me pay that much more attention to them.

On the flip side I'm okay with just okay lyricism if the beats are dope.

Not sure where this new Kendrick album ranks yet in a discography full of classics. But I put it higher than DAMN which was my least liked.

Yeah that's basically where I am at. And that Damn is my least favorite says how much I value him as an artist as I still like it a lot. Every Kendrick album takes multiple listens to fully absorb though.

Obviously, I was being extremely tongue in cheek with my initial comment, but I do think this cements him as the GOAT.

I like Disc 2 more than Disc 1 upon first listen but the only track I'm not crazy about is Die Hard. And the final 4 tracks are among theost powerful music he has ever made.

TPAF will never be topped, but if I had to guess, it's gonna nestle in above Section 80 and below Good Kid in my personal rakings. Which is wild. Cause I was obsessed with Section 80 when that shit dropped... and it's an album I relate deeply to as an ADHD guy who grew up around rampant drug abuse (friends not parents) and was born in 87. If you told me Lamar has 3 albums in him that would top that one, I would have said... so you're telling me that Outkast is finally gonna be topped as my favorite rap artist?

Last edited:
Every Kendrick album takes multiple listens to fully absorb though.
Kind of why I'm not jumping in on discussions calling this album 'mid'.
Months from now people will speak of this album like Jesus himself spit bars on it.

This one is definitely going to take more time to get up there than TPAB, but it'll get there for most.

We Cry Together reminded me of the exact same thing. Also ALC did his thing with the beat.

Kind of why I'm not jumping in on discussions calling this album 'mid'.
Months from now people will speak of this album like Jesus himself spit bars on it.

This one is definitely going to take more time to get up there than TPAB, but it'll get there for most.

TPAB is my favorite album of last decade and my favorite rap album of all-time.

I think I listened to it 50x in the first two weeks after it dropped.

TPAB is my favorite album of last decade and my favorite rap album of all-time.

I think I listened to it 50x in the first two weeks after it dropped.
I loved it on first listen, but one of those albums that I heard a lot of shit thrown at it when it was released, but barely anything now.
I'm getting the same feeling from this one, despite the lack of bangers.

Lots of complaints about the production I've seen so far, and I get why people would arrive there after his previous albums but for me I think it's an album that needs to be a bit more tame on the production side. I'm okay with minimalist production if the lyrics are there, makes me pay that much more attention to them.

On the flip side I'm okay with just okay lyricism if the beats are dope.
I agree! Definitely not complaining. Just different and that’s fine by me. It’s his art. I can see how people want the club bangers or whatever. Guessing that’s what they want.

Back