Hi-Fi furniture

can i ask what "top shelf capacity" means... just so i know if it means how much the TOP of the bookshelf can hold or how much the most a block of the vertical area of a shelf can do
If you're looking at the 1x2 Threshold cabinet at Target, it lists separate load capacities for interior cubes (30 lbs), top shelf in vertical format (30 lbs) and top shelf in horizontal layout (55 lbs).

If you're looking at the 1x2 Threshold cabinet at Target, it lists separate load capacities for interior cubes (30 lbs), top shelf in vertical format (30 lbs) and top shelf in horizontal layout (55 lbs).
i just get nervous about stacking them up because i think the 20 or so pounds of each additional cabinet in a 3X2 will stress the bottom and break... it shoudn't because the screws are pretty tight but i dunno

i just get nervous about stacking them up because i think the 20 or so pounds of each additional cabinet in a 3X2 will stress the bottom and break... it shoudn't because the screws are pretty tight but i dunno

The bottom shouldn’t ever break, it’s flat against the floor. The issue with it would be point loading on the top putting stress on the top bit or loading very unevenly putting it in twist stress. By loading evenly across the top, which you will be doing by stacking another cabinet of the same width and depth, you are putting the lower unit into compression. So long as you’ve built it correctly and the long boards are horizontal, these units get stronger as the dowels are put into compression.

The bottom shouldn’t ever break, it’s flat against the floor. The issue with it would be point loading on the top putting stress on the top bit or loading very unevenly putting it in stress. By loading evenly across the top, which you will be doing by stacking another cabinet of the same width and depth, you are putting the lower unit into compression. So long as you’ve built it correctly and the long boards are horizontal, these units get stronger as the dowels are put into compression.
i dunno if it will be completely even if just because the records will be loaded from the left to right, meaning that until i got all 6 filled up i wont have even loading, BUT i also only have a 1X2 and a 2X2 so the width isn't COMPLETELY equal and there will be a bit that is not being compressed

i dunno if it will be completely even if just because the records will be loaded from the left to right, meaning that until i got all 6 filled up i wont have even loading, BUT i also only have a 1X2 and a 2X2 so the width isn't COMPLETELY equal and there will be a bit that is not being compressed

Once they’re joined together properly and the long boards are running in the right direction, horizontally, it won’t be an issue. It will get stronger as it fills across but that won’t do any damage to begin with. By a dangerous point load I meant putting a concentrated very heavy weight off centre in the middle of one of the cubes.

Once they’re joined together properly and the long boards are running in the right direction, horizontally, it won’t be an issue. It will get stronger as it fills across but that won’t do any damage to begin with. By a dangerous point load I meant putting a concentrated very heavy weight off centre in the middle of one of the cubes.
its not going to be IN one of the cubes... they are going to be on top of the cubes.. thats why i was asking what top shelf weight meant...

200g isn’t a point load. The weight of a cube of records is spread over the cube.
ok... i just am being protectful because i got like 35 albums in the first cube alone, 16 of those are 2LP... and are from like 150 to 180g and i even plan on getting a 200g record 45 rpm set so i feel like that might be a lot on its own

ok... i just am being protectful because i got like 35 albums in the first cube alone, 16 of those are 2LP... and are from like 150 to 180g and i even plan on getting a 200g record 45 rpm set so i feel like that might be a lot on its own

I don’t think it’ll be an issue BUT if it’s fucking with your head put half, or a third, in each cube fanned out and fill them one each side until you have enough to fill both cubes

Back