Guitar pop/power pop/indie pop/chamber pop/twee and sounds related!

They're great - one of the last concerts I saw, was at the local pub/restaurant just around the corner. I really like Anne Lise Frøkedal who plays guitar and sings for them. This is their last albim

Yes, @Thackeraye! Like them a lot. That last one is very nice (I reviewed it for a blog I write in), but most of what they've done is worth checking out. The self-titled debut is a little rougher around the edges (check out single "Norman Bleik"...) and You Love it Here is also great.

Frontman Frode Strømstad is also in The No Ones a kind of super group with Peter Buck and Scott McCaughey and runs a music festival in Egersund (Western Norway) which attracts a lot of bands that would fit the category of this thread. Frontwoman Anne Lise Frøkedal has some nice, more mellow solo albums.

Yes, @Thackeraye! Like them a lot. That last one is very nice (I reviewed it for a blog I write in), but most of what they've done is worth checking out. The self-titled debut is a little rougher around the edges (check out single "Norman Bleik"...) and You Love it Here is also great.

Frontman Frode Strømstad is also in The No Ones a kind of super group with Peter Buck and Scott McCaughey and runs a music festival in Egersund (Western Norway) which attracts a lot of bands that would fit the category of this thread. Frontwoman Anne Lise Frøkedal has some nice, more mellow solo albums.
Thanks (and thanks @Poly-Rythmo)! I have the recent album saved on Spotify, so I'll give them a go.

Also, for all the fans of Scottish pop, keep an eye out on the Last Night From Glasgow label. I'm a member, and around £100 gets you around 6-8 records a year. They do like their Scottish (power) pop. They reissued the Bluebells this year, and lots of Transhcan Sinatras stuff on the horizon...
Seconded. I very much enjoyed the L-Space album @Thackeraye sent me last year!

Put up a thread about Last Night From Glasgow in the Clubs section. The link above is to the second post which has some Spotify links to the albums I liked that they recently released. Some pop stuff, but if we are using the Scottish Pop scale used earlier these are closer to Frightened Rabbit on the Pop to Alt scale...

Dear all,

Is there perhaps a thread lacking on this forum that deals with the wonders of melodic and catchy guitar pop and power pop?

This is a first attempt at rectifying this. So, get into the groove everyone and post albums you like, artists you dig, concerts you enjoyed (when they can be enjoyed again), and so on and so forth!

I'll start off with a gem of a power pop record I discovered this year. Reno Bo is a Nashville-based session musician that also does his thing. There's some great Matthew Sweet/Big Star et al vibes on this record. One song was co-written with Brendan Benson.

I've been meaning to start a page like this for a while, but just haven't done it. Thanks for this!

I love The Tyde. Four fantastic albums from them and now the fifth is on the way according to reports from main man Darren Rademaker on Instagram. Can't wait for that one.

In the meantime.

Just because it'll need to be posted in here eventually and I may as well do it. But one of the greatest songs of all time, in my opinion

Couldn't agree more. Fantastic song in all kinds of ways. Big Star was a big thing for me when I discovered them in uni. Also happy to have caught "them" live, that is the band version where Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow from The Posies joined in.

Couldn't agree more. Fantastic song in all kinds of ways. Big Star was a big thing for me when I discovered them in uni. Also happy to have caught "them" live, that is the band version where Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow from The Posies joined in.
I had a chance to see them in 2009 but that was just when I was getting into them so I didn’t go. I also didn’t expect it to be my only and last chance to see them 😭

Really into "sunshine pop" these days. It's probably the autumn and another round with home office...

I am late to the party on this gem of a band. Beatlesque wonder-pop! The album this is taken from was co-written with and produced by Jason Falkner, a guy that really can't put a foot wrong...

Second single from Matthew Sweet's new album, out in January. Not crazy about the cover art, still this is quite a nice tune, I think. Of course not the same standard as back in the day, but those albums were very good!

Amazing album by a pretty great band!

This is an ultra limited edition of 120 copies from English label Sugarbush.

View attachment 76219
I've been looking for a copy of this everywhere. I bought the original from the artist site and they didn't have it, and never refunded me.

If you happen to see one at a decent price, let me know!

I've been looking for a copy of this everywhere. I bought the original from the artist site and they didn't have it, and never refunded me.

If you happen to see one at a decent price, let me know!

Yeah, will do. This Sugarbush one is very expensive now. I subscribe to their mailing list, so got lucky...

Back