Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

Was looking into getting a Grado Gold3 for my upcoming PLX-1000 and then I came across the Opus3. Seems like its definitely worth the extra $15. If I were to go this route, would I be looking to get a high or low output version?

Cheers

I love my opus. It’s a great cartridge. Only thing to think about is that it doesn’t have a user replaceable stylus so you have to replace the whole cart once it’s done. For the Darlington with its fixed 40db gain you need the high output.

I love my opus. It’s a great cartridge. Only thing to think about is that it doesn’t have a user replaceable stylus so you have to replace the whole cart once it’s done.
That's good to know, it might actually be the thing that puts me off of it right now. At least for my first cartridge I want something with replacable styli that will last a long time and I can use as a baseline for future cartridge purchases. Looks like the Gold3 might be better suited for that.

That's good to know, it might actually be the thing that puts me off of it right now. At least for my first cartridge I want something with replacable styli that will last a long time and I can use as a baseline for future cartridge purchases. Looks like the Gold3 might be better suited for that.

Yeah that’s totally understandable and with the 8mz stylus there is a pretty decent upgrade to the gold too when the time comes to do a stylus swap.

I too like my Opus3, but can also recommend getting a Gold3 and then replacing the stylus with a 8MZ when you need to.

I like my Opus3 as well very much on my VPI Scout rig. For my musical tastes, It's made in the Brooklyn, etc It was the best choice for me at the price point (275 mounted/setup).

You can send the Opus3 into Grado for a factory retip when that times comes, I will get the retip price sheet from them but I believe it is about $180 ? I might do the Platinum retip on my O3 down the road to try the upgrade unless they do not recommend it with the maple body (over ther Jarrah). I will ask about that as well.

Last edited:
Was looking into getting a Grado Gold3 for my upcoming PLX-1000 and then I came across the Opus3. Seems like its definitely worth the extra $15. If I were to go this route, would I be looking to get a high or low output version?

Cheers

If you get the Opus, the high output will probably suit your needs better.

Cheers
Most have already stated the obvious comparison, the user replaceable stylus. But, keep in mind you'll have a TT with a removable head shell, this, in my opinion, changes things a bit. The "inconvenience" of having to send the Opus in isn't as bad, you have an Ortofon you can run (or anything else) while you wait.

In a nut shell, I think the Opus is a "better" cartridge in sound and timbre to get it passed the Gold V3, which is no slouch. Just food for thought ;)

Here is some info from Rich .G on the Grado Timbre Series Trade In Program when your Timbre Series cartridge wears down. I'm likely to try the Platinum 3 when my Opus3 comes to the end with that type of discount. My father had a Platinum and then Sonata and I remmber him saying he slightly liked the Platinum a bit more.

---

We have an exchange program that allows you to trade in your old wood cartridge and buy a new, current version cartridge at a substantial discount. We even allow you to move up to a different wood cartridge at discounted prices if you would like to. The upgrade prices for the current v3 cartridges are…

Opus3 - $180
Platinum3 - $265
Sonata3 - $400
Master3 - $670
Reference3 - $1000

Here is a link to these cartridges on both the Grado Labs site and the eCommerce site.

Grado Labs - Timbre Series

Timbre Cartridges

Each cartridge is available in high output and low output as well as 2 channel or mono. Please keep your old cartridge as you would have to send it to us as part of the upgrade.

There are 2 ways to proceed, either is fine with us, it’s what you are most comfortable with.

Option 1: you would proceed to the 4OurEars.net website and purchase your new cartridge. Please specify in the notes that this is the first step of an upgrade. When making the purchase you will select which version you want. You will pay the full purchase price at this time, within 4 weeks of purchase we ask that you return you old cartridge to us at the address below. Please include a copy of the invoice from your new purchase and note that this is the return against the purchase. We will credit the purchase the discounted amount.

Option 2: you can return your old cartridge. Please include a note saying this is to begin an upgrade and let us know which cartridge you will be purchasing. We will create a discount code that you will use when purchasing your new cartridge.

Please be sure to include your contact information on all correspondence. All items should be shipped to...

4OurEar
Attn: Rich Grado
1365 N Railroad Ave #119
Staten Island, NY 10306

Let me know if you have any questions or need any additional information
any questions, let us know, happy to help, Rich

Last edited:
Currently installing my new Opus3 and noticed the stylus isn't completely straight, it goes slightly to the left. Just wondering if this is normal or if I should contact Grado for a replacement.
IMG_1352.JPG

While getting my VPI Traveler back up today I snapped the stylus off my Opus3 when taking the guard off it.

Looks like I'm going back to the Gold for now.

Need to order a new 8MZ for it.

I'm pretty sure the Gold carts I have are not the newer 3's, as I've had them for years.

I may just go with a new Gold3 - and then get a new 8MZ when I need one.

Back