Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

*Edit: Been referred to this thread for interconnect discussion. Tx @HiFi Guy those AP look nice for 99$ at AA.

Last edited:
I have an ATLP60. I need a decent semi cheap replacement stylus. Anybody got any suggestions? At some point, I’m going to upgrade to a new turntable just not sure when. Can’t commit to $500 for a new table yet.

The 60 has a fixed headshell, doesn’t it? I think you’re limited to their conical stylus.
Actually @Twentytwo you can get an elliptical replacement stylus.

Thanks for the replies. This one looks perfect.

I like the small changes 2G Tracking force made on the Opus3. Everything is a little bigger, bass a bit more solid, presentation slightly more forward, row 1, stage about the same width perhaps a little less ?. YMMV

Last edited:
Question for Grado users. I was planning on experimenting with VTA on my VPI/Opus3 rig. When you have changed the VTA on your arm have you found that a Grado stylus will need to be re broken in again to some extent seeing the angle at which the sylus is touching the vinyl has changed ?

Question for Grado users. I was planning on experimenting with VTA on my VPI/Opus3 rig. When you have changed the VTA on your arm have you found that a Grado stylus will need to be re broken in again to some extent seeing the angle at which the sylus is touching the vinyl has changed ?
Not sure of the audible difference, but with the body shape I would be careful with the VTA, it rides a little low as it is and might give you some issues on the back end. That being said, I've found with past Grado's they've sounded best, in my opinion, at their default VTA.

Not sure of the audible difference, but with the body shape I would be careful with the VTA, it rides a little low as it is and might give you some issues on the back end. That being said, I've found with past Grado's they've sounded best, in my opinion, at their default VTA.

Perhaps if you listening to audiophile pressings it does not matter much. I think it's worth experimenting with. Of course things will vary on cart, arm, table, setup, etc. Harry Weisfeld (VPI) likes to tip his wood body Grado's up a bit to improve high's, and I been told Mr Grado himself liked to tip the back down for better noise response and bass (not sure how that applies to the newest designs). I will report my findings.

Last edited:
VTA experiments with the Opus3 were very worthwhile for dialing my sound in. If you have adjustable VTA on your table and do not mind tinkering with your setup I would recommend giving it a try to see if you like the seults. As it is a game of slight changes, be sure to keep good notes.

*YMMV, only preform if you have some turntable setup experience/knowledge or a tech that can do so.

Last edited:
Weird question. I have a record (new Louis Armstrong/Oscar Peterson verve acoustic sounds) with known vocal distortion. I have made multiple changes to a couple systems lately different carts with different tables/amps/speakers and I noticed that throughout the changes the distortion on the Grado cart is far less noticeable than on two AT carts (atvm95e at120e). All carts have probably 100 hours or less. Again the record is known to have vocal distortion in the recording, is there a reason it would be less pronounced on the Grado?

Weird question. I have a record (new Louis Armstrong/Oscar Peterson verve acoustic sounds) with known vocal distortion. I have made multiple changes to a couple systems lately different carts with different tables/amps/speakers and I noticed that throughout the changes the distortion on the Grado cart is far less noticeable than on two AT carts (atvm95e at120e). All carts have probably 100 hours or less. Again the record is known to have vocal distortion in the recording, is there a reason it would be less pronounced on the Grado?
I see one of three possible reasons, or a combination of the three:

1. You’ve managed to get a better setup in regards to alignment with the Grado.

2. The Grado is a better match to the arm(s) than the other two.

3. Moving Iron cartridges (like the Grado) have lower moving mass than Moving Magnet cartridges (like the A/T) so they can more accurately trace the grooves. All of those cartridges have elliptical styli, so that isn’t a variable.

I see one of three possible reasons, or a combination of the three:

1. You’ve managed to get a better setup in regards to alignment with the Grado.

2. The Grado is a better match to the arm(s) than the other two.

3. Moving Iron cartridges (like the Grado) have lower moving mass than Moving Magnet cartridges (like the A/T) so they can more accurately trace the grooves. All of those cartridges have elliptical styli, so that isn’t a variable.
I guess part of my question is could one reason be that the AT carts are picking up what is on the actual recording more accurately. When I first listened to the record I was surprised at the distortion and then read a handful of reviews that it was a known issue on the recording. From one review:

Curiously, when I went to Tidal to play the album (a 16-bit, 44.1 kHz CD quality stream) the hot distortion seemed more distinct than on my 1997-era CD. If you want to do your own comparison, contrast, click here is the link to Tidal and here for Qobuz.

Is it an issue that one cart is doing a better job of picking up a known issue in a recording even if that means it sounds worse?

I guess part of my question is could one reason be that the AT carts are picking up what is on the actual recording more accurately. When I first listened to the record I was surprised at the distortion and then read a handful of reviews that it was a known issue on the recording. From one review:

Curiously, when I went to Tidal to play the album (a 16-bit, 44.1 kHz CD quality stream) the hot distortion seemed more distinct than on my 1997-era CD. If you want to do your own comparison, contrast, click here is the link to Tidal and here for Qobuz.

Is it an issue that one cart is doing a better job of picking up a known issue in a recording even if that means it sounds worse?

Grado's are known to be good trackers along with all the other reasons the others mentioned.

Back