Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

So I ordered a SL-Technics 1200GR that just shipped, so I am looking at carts. Part of the condition was that I sell my Uturn and I realized that I will get more money for it with a cart, than sans cart. So I may package my Grado Gold with it.

If I do that, I was looking at the Timbre series. Thoughts on the Opus or the Platinum (ie would the Platinum upgrade be worth it)?

Also, I have a Sutherland Insight as my preamp, so I am assuming that the low output would be the way to go?

The opus is an awesome cartridge. I had the low output one on my system for 18 months and don’t have a bad word to say about it, it’s a really fun sweet sounding cartridge. For the money there is nothing else I’d get. I’d definitely favour low output with your phono too.

I don’t know much about the platinum but if you’re willing to go higher than the opus I’d definitely factor the Hana SL into the equation, I’m running one now and it’s by far the best cartridge that I’ve heard.

So I ordered a SL-Technics 1200GR that just shipped, so I am looking at carts. Part of the condition was that I sell my Uturn and I realized that I will get more money for it with a cart, than sans cart. So I may package my Grado Gold with it.

If I do that, I was looking at the Timbre series. Thoughts on the Opus or the Platinum (ie would the Platinum upgrade be worth it)?

Also, I have a Sutherland Insight as my preamp, so I am assuming that the low output would be the way to go?
If you go Opus or Platinum definitely go low output. Set your Insight at 50 dB gain, 47K loading.

At one point I had the PLX/Insight/Opus3 combo running and it's fantastic :)

So in connecting the cart to the Technics headshell, does it matter where the screws are? Do they need to be in the front of the spacer, all the way in the back, or wherever they're even?

So in connecting the cart to the Technics headshell, does it matter where the screws are? Do they need to be in the front of the spacer, all the way in the back, or wherever they're even?

It will vary by cartridge but wherever they need to be to set the overhang and alignment correctly. It’s kinda immaterial if they’re still the front or back once that’s correct.

The biggest problem is you’ll add 33% (or whatever % tax and VAT is in Denmark) with customs and VAT. VAT really is the worst tax.
We have a partial solution to the VAT question.

Per a buyer request, we can detach the front panel and ship the unit as an "incomplete/parts unit", declaring only the cost of raw components, because in this case, as is, it would not be a retail-saleable item. No duplicate invoice will be provided in the package. If necessary, the buyer can demonstrate to Customs the incomplete nature of the unit.

This type of thing is done on a large scale routinely by multinational corporations wherein a final piece will be added in a desired country to secure a "manufactured in xyz" label or to tax arbitrage.

We recommend a "rear-panel LED placement" because there will be no LED alignment needed.

We can even include the 2.5mm hex wrench and the hardware. We have a 230V EU style wall supply at no additional cost; you add the physical adaptors if needed for the UK or AUS or other non-EU-standard 230V outlets.

Last edited:
Reading the convo above and seeing a low output Opus was recommended. Should I have gotten low output as well? What decides that?

Reading the convo above and seeing a low output Opus was recommended. Should I have gotten low output as well? What decides that?

Your phono stage and how much gain it can offer in MM mode. I think, from my recollection of the MF one that you have, that you did right getting the High Output. I think in their range you’re at the MX VYNL before you have the flexibility to use the Low Output.

Tipping my hand here, thanks to @dansomeone ’s sleuth skills, I too have acquired an Opus3! I went low output because I’ve never so much as touched any of the dip switches on my StudioPhono. Curious to see what this thing can offer!

Tipping my hand here, thanks to @dansomeone ’s sleuth skills, I too have acquired an Opus3! I went low output because I’ve never so much as touched any of the dip switches on my StudioPhono. Curious to see what this thing can offer!

You’re likely to kinda fall in the middle of the 46dB and 60dB gain settings. 50ish dB is probably ideal for the low output. I was a bit that way with 48dB and 60dB on my preamp too. I found that it sounded better at the lower gain and cranking the amp instead but ymmv.

Back