Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

Yep if you want to buy one. You can print ones off too and I just use the paper one pro-ject packed with my tt.

I already tried printing one.

My printer is a pain in the ass and doesn't like to be found on wifi so I rarely use it. Went to try to print one of these today and found the ink was dried up / clogged. It's either $60 for more ink, buy a new printer, or buy a real protractor.

I already tried printing one.

My printer is a pain in the ass and doesn't like to be found on wifi so I rarely use it. Went to try to print one of these today and found the ink was dried up / clogged. It's either $60 for more ink, buy a new printer, or buy a real protractor.

Yeah buy this one then 😂

Some turntables have too short an arm for a Baerwald protractor, such as the original UTurn. Could you remind us which turntable you have?

Just installed my Gold3 last night. Took a little over an hour, mainly because the cuts were so small I couldn't grasp them / get them in place.

Made sure my alignment was spot on and was able to adjust the tracking force to bouncing between 1.50 and 1.51 grams.

The first record I spun, Larkin Poe - Venom & Faith sounded amazon.

The audio is noticeably louder as well. I previously always set the dial for 60 for vinyl, and 35 for digital and cd. I was getting the same audio levels at 50.

I only have had a chance to spin one record so far, but will be spinning more shortly and will be reporting back.

First run with the newly installed Grado Gold 3...

Lou Reed - Rock N Roll Animal

20191027_004827.jpg

When I was mulling over this switch, @HiFi Guy told me I would dig this cartridge a lot since I was a big fan of live music. Has the man ever been wrong? Not in this lifetime anyway.

Naturally, I picked one of my all-time favorite records - a live album that I've heard a thousand plus times - for the inaugural play. When HiFI gave me the scoop, I thought I knew what he meant. I was right.

First impressions listening to one record - this thing is lively. Lively while remaining uncolored, natural and accurate. It's dynamic - louder louds and softer softs. There's improved detail than I'm used to. By that I mean everything's more sharp and focused. The sound is less "smeared". Being a live music fan, one of the first things I listen for in a recording is a soundstage where I can place the players not only left to right but front to back. The Gold did a great job putting everyone in their proper place on this record.

With one record in the books, Grado Gold takes the gold. Can't wait for her to get a few hours under her belt.

Last edited:
First run with the newly installed Grado Gold 3...

Lou Reed - Rock N Roll Animal

View attachment 39820

When I was mulling over this switch, @HiFi Guy told me I would dig this cartridge a lot since I was a big fan of live music. Has the man ever been wrong? Not in this lifetime anyway.

Naturally, I picked one of my all-time favorite records - a live album that I've heard a thousand plus times - for the inaugural play. When HiFI gave me the scoop, I thought I knew what he meant. I was right.

First impressions listening to one record - this thing is lively. Lively while remaining uncolored, natural and accurate. It's dynamic - louder louds and softer softs. There's improved detail than I'm used to. By that I mean everything's more sharp and focused. The sound is less "smeared". Being a live music fan, one of the first things I listen for in a recording is a soundstage where I can place the players not only left to right but front to back. The Gold did a great job putting everyone in their proper place on this record.

With one record in the books, Grado Gold takes the gold. Can't wait for her to get a few hours under her belt.

Assuming you've had some time with it, hows it sounding?

I may have done a thing...
View attachment 45060
Congrats! I'm really curious what the jump from a 2m Red to a Gold3 will sound like to you. I went from 2m Blue and then "inherited" a Grado Black on my current TT when I bought it used, which put me on the Grado path. I liked the Grado Black more than the 2m Blue (although the TT upgrade played a big part of the overall improvement...) so a jump from 2m Red to Gold3 is hopefully pretty significant for you.

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm really curious what the jump from a 2m Red to a Gold3 will sound like to you. I went from 2m Blue and then "inherited" a Grado Black on my current TT when I bought it used, which put me on the Grado path. I liked the Grado Black more than the 2m Blue (although the TT upgrade played a big part of the overall improvement...) so a jump from 2m Red to Gold3 is hopefully pretty significant for you.
Thanks. I'm excited for the jump and figured this was dollar for dollar the best upgrade I could do. I'm about a year to two away from the turntable upgrade and doing a speaker/receiver upgrade is not in the cards for awhile either (and seems super overwhelming). Will definitely report back!

Thanks. I'm excited for the jump and figured this was dollar for dollar the best upgrade I could do. I'm about a year to two away from the turntable upgrade and doing a speaker/receiver upgrade is not in the cards for awhile either (and seems super overwhelming). Will definitely report back!

Going from a 2m Red to a Gold3 is a pretty big jump up in performance. You should be very pleased. I’m excited for you.

Back