Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

So mine arrived and boy am I having trouble with the screws. I couldn't get the nut on at all doing it right side up and once I got one in upside down (nut on top), I then proceeded to bump into the other nut which is now lost. Worried that I'm not going to be able to find it and will have to get a whole other screw/nut combo.

Anyone have advice on how to do this? I feel fat fingered and not pleased. Going to be out of commission until I either find this nut or replace it.

So mine arrived and boy am I having trouble with the screws. I couldn't get the nut on at all doing it right side up and once I got one in upside down (nut on top), I then proceeded to bump into the other nut which is now lost. Worried that I'm not going to be able to find it and will have to get a whole other screw/nut combo.

Anyone have advice on how to do this? I feel fat fingered and not pleased. Going to be out of commission until I either find this nut or replace it.
I used tweezers to hold the nut in place. It was still really tricky, but after about a half-hour I got the screw to bite.

Last edited:

@HiFi Guy had a suggestion a few pages back involving painters tape I believe?

Thanks for the reminder, I actually have painters tape so that will be tried when my screws arrive.

Here you go:

The hardest part is attaching the cartridge to the arm. The non captive nuts are a pain in the ass.

The trick I found is to use some blue painters tape. Put the nut on the tape and use the tape to secure the nuts to the mounting plate from underneath. Then press up with your finger while introducing the screw from the top. It’s also easier to do the inside (towards the platter) screw/nut combo first.

Hi all! A few years back this group (and @HiFi Guy in particular) helped me out with upgrading my system. I've spent two very happy years with my UltraDeck, but since I'm coming up on 1000 hours now, I've been meaning to replace the cartridge.

I received a Gold2 for just that purpose last Christmas, and by the sounds of it, what I actually received was a Gold3 (it has the E19 imprint that was referenced elsewhere in this thread). Which is great! My question is whether the actual replacement is a job I should attempt myself, or if it's better to just have it done by a professional (I'm in the Boston area and there are some great local hifi places).

And if I do it myself, is there anything that I should be aware of, aside from being very careful with the screws? Or any special considerations I should keep in mind regarding the UltraDeck itself?

Hi all! A few years back this group (and @HiFi Guy in particular) helped me out with upgrading my system. I've spent two very happy years with my UltraDeck, but since I'm coming up on 1000 hours now, I've been meaning to replace the cartridge.

I received a Gold2 for just that purpose last Christmas, and by the sounds of it, what I actually received was a Gold3 (it has the E19 imprint that was referenced elsewhere in this thread). Which is great! My question is whether the actual replacement is a job I should attempt myself, or if it's better to just have it done by a professional (I'm in the Boston area and there are some great local hifi places).

And if I do it myself, is there anything that I should be aware of, aside from being very careful with the screws? Or any special considerations I should keep in mind regarding the UltraDeck itself?

Hey and welcome! Replacing the cartridge is pretty easy. You’ll need a few tools:

Stylus force gauge $15 or so on eBay
Alignment Protractor- I like the MoFi Geodisc
VTA block- $15 or so on eBay
Blue Painters tape- helps with the nuts
Junk record
Here’s how I do it:

Unplug the turntable. It’s easy to hit the power button during setup.

Set anti skate first. Normally, one wouldn’t do this but setting anti skate with the counterweight in the way is a pain.

Loosely mount the cartridge with the inside screw and nut (towards the platter.)

Attach the 4 cartridge wires.

Attach the second screw and nut- leave a bit loose.

Set tracking force

Align the cartridge

Tighten cartridge screws

Double check alignment- correct if necessary

Double check tracking force

Put the junk record on the platter. Move the arm over, place stylus on the record. Put the VTA block up against the arm tube. You want it level. If it isn’t, you’ll need to use the Allen wrench that MoFi supplied and loosen the arm at the base. Be careful- support the arm because it will drop. Get it level, tighten the arm.

Check the azimuth (cartridge tilt left/right with the bubble level. There’s an Allen bolt underneath the arm tube near the headshell. Loosen this to tilt the headshell left/right as needed.

Take your time. If you are having to force anything, you are doing it wrong. Gentle and slow. Figure a couple of hours for your first time. I can do a MoFi in about 45 minutes, a Technics or Pioneer in half an hour- time references in case you decide to pay a pro.

If you need help doing it yourself, I’m available by phone to walk you through it.

We have a finicky hobby.

I've been through Ham radio and photography so this isn't anything different.

My printer is a pain in the ass and doesn't like to be found on wifi so I rarely use it. Went to try to print one of these today and found the ink was dried up / clogged. It's either $60 for more ink, buy a new printer, or buy a real protractor.

That's why I have a (wifi) laser printer at home, it doesn't dry out and a toner will last several years.

First post here, folks. I've been reading this entire thread for the past couple of days and almost caught up. I'm seriously getting into vinyl now and have yet to decide on a Fluance or U-Turn (custom). My ears don't discern as much as some of you so I'm OK with a sub-$500 TT, and so is my wife. I'm leaning toward a U-Turn with a Black3 preinstalled (both made in USA). My vinyl collection is practically nothing (pretty old stuff given to me by my parents, mostly 50's to 70's) so am on Discogs checking things out. I've learned a lot via forums in the last two weeks including here.

We're in our lower 50's and have one room with the TV and audio stuff in it. I'll need to get a new table/cabinet to house the TT and Yamaha receiver (5.1). Speakers consist of Harman Kardon bookshelf on stands, HK 10" sub and HK surrounds on stands behind the sofa. I do have Sennheiser HD280 PRO closed over the ear headphones. All I need is a decent TT. I have an old Technics from the 80's which is just the cheap model though I did add an AT85EP cartridge to it (P-mount). Nothing is adjustable on it. I could've gotten a Grado P-mount but that's pretty much lipstick on a pig, I need a better TT.

This thread has solidified my choice by going with Grado.

Hopefully Monday I'll have some used LP's arrive. They are the first four from Foreigner. Supertramp Breakfast, the first from Boston and Van Halen. None of them are 180 gram and didn't cost much, all of them are VG+ at least. Until I get the proper setup, which hopefully will only take another month, I'll be content with those.

I'll keep watching this thread for sure. Sorry to be long winded.

That's why I have a (wifi) laser printer at home, it doesn't dry out and a toner will last several years.

First post here, folks. I've been reading this entire thread for the past couple of days and almost caught up. I'm seriously getting into vinyl now and have yet to decide on a Fluance or U-Turn (custom). My ears don't discern as much as some of you so I'm OK with a sub-$500 TT, and so is my wife. I'm leaning toward a U-Turn with a Black3 preinstalled (both made in USA). My vinyl collection is practically nothing (pretty old stuff given to me by my parents, mostly 50's to 70's) so am on Discogs checking things out. I've learned a lot via forums in the last two weeks including here.

We're in our lower 50's and have one room with the TV and audio stuff in it. I'll need to get a new table/cabinet to house the TT and Yamaha receiver (5.1). Speakers consist of Harman Kardon bookshelf on stands, HK 10" sub and HK surrounds on stands behind the sofa. I do have Sennheiser HD280 PRO closed over the ear headphones. All I need is a decent TT. I have an old Technics from the 80's which is just the cheap model though I did add an AT85EP cartridge to it (P-mount). Nothing is adjustable on it. I could've gotten a Grado P-mount but that's pretty much lipstick on a pig, I need a better TT.

Hopefully Monday I'll have some used LP's arrive. They are the first four from Foreigner. Supertramp Breakfast, the first from Boston and Van Halen. None of them are 180 gram and didn't cost much, all of them are VG+ at least. Until I get the proper setup, which hopefully will only take another month, I'll be content with those.

Welcome!!

You would most likely be happy with either the U-Turn (I've had) and the Fluance...........I would lean towards the Fluance RT-85 if the price tag is to your liking. You'll have a bit more control and adjustments at your disposal, plus with the Ortofon Blue included you can save on the cart cost for now and then toss a Grado in there when it's time to replace it :)

If you go U-Turn, I would recommend an acrylic platter, and the cue lever along with the Grado Black ;)

I have a uturn and its definitely user friendly. I also like that it is made in the US and their customer service is fantastic. The Grado Black is an excellent choice as well. I would advise spending a little extra and getting a standalone preamp, whether its the Pluto from uturn for 99 or something like the Vincent 8 for 300 if you want to have a real nice sound.

Enjoy!

The Gold3 is here! Ordered it last week and it arrived already today. Thanks to @HiFi Guy 's recs on using painters tape as it was quite simple to get those screws on after that tip. I think I have it aligned properly...used a mirrored protractor and had to adjust the counter weight. Threw on some Otis Redding to christen the table. It's VERY different sounding than the Ortofon Bronze I replaced. A bit "warmer" and the bass seems to be more present (in a good way). Really happy with it so far but will burn it in a bit over the next week or so!

I have a uturn and its definitely user friendly. I also like that it is made in the US and their customer service is fantastic. The Grado Black is an excellent choice as well. I would advise spending a little extra and getting a standalone preamp, whether its the Pluto from uturn for 99 or something like the Vincent 8 for 300 if you want to have a real nice sound.

Enjoy!
Looking at the custom, they can install the Pluto or can get one separate. I like what the Mofi PhonoStage has to offer so thinking separate and upgrade later. Yeah, I would get the U-Turn with acrylic platter and cue lever. I'm still reading and learning, taking people's experience and suggestions before pulling the trigger. RT85 is also there, no decision yet.

EDIT: Just read that the Fluance is made in Taiwan. I'm one of those that likes the option to buy USA products if possible. The RT85 and Orbit Custom are fairly similar so unless my mind can be changed I'll go with the Orbit.

Last edited:
Back