Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

The Opus3 would be just $15 more than the Prestige Gold3.

Which would be a better investment for a U-Turn Turntable?

It’s a balancing of two things. One, the Opus is probably a better cartridge and you’d probably notice it. Two the Gold is great has a user replaceable stylus so you can keep upgrading with an 8mz for $150 each time you need a new stylus, with the opus it’s likely the same as the other woodies in that you’ll get a 20% discount off the RRP when exchanging an old cart for a new one.

Last edited:
The Opus3 would be just $15 more than the Prestige Gold3.

Which would be a better investment for a U-Turn Turntable?

The UTurn Orbit series 2 specifies a 7.2 gram maximum cartridge weight. The Opus3 weighs 8 grams.

You could get auxiliary magnet weights that stick on the rear of the counterweight from UTurn or use Blue Tac.

I’d go Gold3 for easy compatibility and a user replaceable stylus.

If I heard an Opus3, I might say something completely different.

The UTurn Orbit series 2 specifies a 7.2 gram maximum cartridge weight. The Opus3 weighs 8 grams.

You could get auxiliary magnet weights that stick on the rear of the counterweight from UTurn or use Blue Tac.

I’d go Gold3 for easy compatibility and a user replaceable stylus.

If I heard an Opus3, I might say something completely different.

Thanks,

I didn't even consider / know to look up maximum cartridge weight.

More things to consider.

The 8MZ on the gold 3 as a later update might be better than the Opus3.

Just went ahead and ordered a Gold3 from Grado Labs.

Just got an extra $1500 from a side gig so the timing was right.

I went with the Gold3 over the Opus3 because I didn't want to be messing with adjusting tracking weight. I don't have the tools to do that and would just have to invest more to get what I need to to do so. Also that I can drop a 8mz into it later. I really did like the wood look on the Opus3 though.

Last year I was planning on upgrading my blue (I think blue2) with a 8mz. But with the release of the Gold3 it was looking like the Gold3 was the way to go.

Cheers, and looking forward to the upgrade.

Just went ahead and ordered a Gold3 from Grado Labs.

Just got an extra $1500 from a side gig so the timing was right.

I went with the Gold3 over the Opus3 because I didn't want to be messing with adjusting tracking weight. I don't have the tools to do that and would just have to invest more to get what I need to to do so. Also that I can drop a 8mz into it later. I really did like the wood look on the Opus3 though.

Last year I was planning on upgrading my blue (I think blue2) with a 8mz. But with the release of the Gold3 it was looking like the Gold3 was the way to go.

Cheers, and looking forward to the upgrade.

I think you'll be very pleased with this choice. On my old U-Turn I had the Blue2 and then swapped out the stylus for an 8mz when the time came. It was a great combo, so I'm sure the Gold3 and eventual 8mz addition will work out nicely.

@HiFi Guy

Is it important to check the tracking weight before spinning my first record. I have a co-worker who's big into vinyl and when I told him I got the new cartridge he said I really should be checking the tracking force before spinning any records.

Being in the same line, a Blue2 to Gold3 I'm assuming the weight / tracking force won't change much if any at all. With Amazon not shipping non essential goods I can't get a tracking force scale until 4/22.

I'm I good to just swap it out now and check the tracking force later?

@HiFi Guy

Is it important to check the tracking weight before spinning my first record. I have a co-worker who's big into vinyl and when I told him I got the new cartridge he said I really should be checking the tracking force before spinning any records.

Being in the same line, a Blue2 to Gold3 I'm assuming the weight / tracking force won't change much if any at all. With Amazon not shipping non essential goods I can't get a tracking force scale until 4/22.

So chances are while you do the minor surgery of replacing a cart you will inadvertently mess up the vtf. Alignment is more important. You are probably not going to alter the vtf too much, but you will and if you have tracking issues, it will be hard to dial those in without a scale or protractor.

@HiFi Guy

the likelihood is you’ll accidentally alter the tracking force whilst changing the cartridge. It’s worth making sure it’s at 1.65g again before you start spinning.

I found this tracking force scale that actually ships now from Amazon. One of the only few that's not being held a month to ship.

Will be here Tuesday.

So it sounds like I should weight until it's hear to make the swap.

I found this tracking force scale that actually ships now from Amazon. One of the only few that's not being held a month to ship.

Will be here Tuesday.

If it’s just until Tuesday I would on your shoes.

Will be here Tuesday.

also I really hope this was an intentional pun 😂

Back