Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

Yes. I did make suee to check that when I was checking my head shell.
Maybe put your old cart back on and see A. If you can adjust the VTF accurately and B. If your still getting distortion. I would start narrowing down "where" the problem might be. While I don't think it's the cart itself (your new one), you never know. If with the old one on and calibrated all is well, I would reach out to Grado and explain, maybe if @RichGrado has been following along he can offer some input?

When little things like this happen it's almost worse than "big" problems.......hang in there, I'm sure the solution will present itself ;)

Maybe put your old cart back on and see A. If you can adjust the VTF accurately and B. If your still getting distortion. I would start narrowing down "where" the problem might be. While I don't think it's the cart itself (your new one), you never know. If with the old one on and calibrated all is well, I would reach out to Grado and explain, maybe if @RichGrado has been following along he can offer some input?

When little things like this happen it's almost worse than "big" problems.......hang in there, I'm sure the solution will present itself ;)
Maybe I could start with putting my Black2 stylus back in first. Not looking forward to re installing but it looks like I might have plenty of time now.

Black stylus still has some distortion but it's most noticeable in the Blue (probably more to do with the sound being more detailed on the blue). I'm just going to run the tracking for on the higher end of the range and see what happens for a while.

I would like to share some of the changes happening in the Grado cartridge line. The v3 cartridges will be formally announced in the coming days, most of you might know that we have been shipping them for quite a while.

The v3 cartridges take advantage of an improved process of isolating the signal through the coils, which allows a cleaner transmission, producing more detail and clarity in the output. We first developed this technology for our top end Lineage Series of high performance, low output cartridges. Our Statement3 cartridge is now part of the Lineage Series.

We have taken this technology through our entire cartridge line. Our Prestige lineup remains the same with a Black3, Green3, Blue3, Red3, Silver3 and Gold3. Our line of 78rpm, mono, and DJ cartridges will also incorporate the latest design changes, offering all Grado users the latest improvements and finest sound reproduction.

Rounding out the new line up of cartridges is the Timbre Series. The Timbre series is a consolidation of our Statement (low output) and Reference (high output) wood cartridge line. We have added an additional cartridge to this series, the Opus3. The Opus3 is the entry point to our Timbre Series offering the improvements and easy mounting characteristics of our other wood cartridges. In addition to the Opus3 the Timbre series includes the Platinum3, Sonata3, Master3 and Reference3.

We are doing our best to continue shipping product through these difficult times. Let me know if you have any question on this announcement or anything else Grado related.

Grado - Truly the World’s Finest!

Happy Listening!

Regards
Rich Grado

Opus3_1 web.jpg

A Prestige Gold3 is in my future. Will likely order within the next week.

FYI to everyone. I highly recommend ordering directly from GRADO and supporting them at this time. Anyone who was considering ordering from Amazon please be aware that Amazon announced today that they have suspending shipping all non essential goods to prime customers through April 21st. April 30th for regular customers.

I would like to share some of the changes happening in the Grado cartridge line. The v3 cartridges will be formally announced in the coming days, most of you might know that we have been shipping them for quite a while.

The v3 cartridges take advantage of an improved process of isolating the signal through the coils, which allows a cleaner transmission, producing more detail and clarity in the output. We first developed this technology for our top end Lineage Series of high performance, low output cartridges. Our Statement3 cartridge is now part of the Lineage Series.

We have taken this technology through our entire cartridge line. Our Prestige lineup remains the same with a Black3, Green3, Blue3, Red3, Silver3 and Gold3. Our line of 78rpm, mono, and DJ cartridges will also incorporate the latest design changes, offering all Grado users the latest improvements and finest sound reproduction.

Rounding out the new line up of cartridges is the Timbre Series. The Timbre series is a consolidation of our Statement (low output) and Reference (high output) wood cartridge line. We have added an additional cartridge to this series, the Opus3. The Opus3 is the entry point to our Timbre Series offering the improvements and easy mounting characteristics of our other wood cartridges. In addition to the Opus3 the Timbre series includes the Platinum3, Sonata3, Master3 and Reference3.

We are doing our best to continue shipping product through these difficult times. Let me know if you have any question on this announcement or anything else Grado related.

Happy Listening!

Regards
Rich Grado

View attachment 37542

Rich, can you share pricing on the woodys?

Happy Listening!

Regards
Rich Grado

View attachment 37542
I was so set on the Gold V3......until now, lol.
Thanks @RichGrado 😉

Here is a response to a couple things I see. I am still able to ship, I have some product available, but it is limited with whats going on. The new Opus3 has a US price of $275. There is no longer a Statement and Reference Series, I noticed a comment about a Statement Sonata3. The Statement and Reference Series have been combined into the Timbre Series. All cartridges in this series are available in both High and Low Output in both Stereo and Mono. If you purchased through us directly you would go to the Sonata3 page and there is a drop down where you select which version you would like.

I'm sorry if I missed something, please ask again and I will do my best to answer...

The Opus3 sounds cool.

I’d love to hear a Statement Sonata3 or above.

Yeah, I mean I have a fair amount of time left on the pretty new 8mz but I’m thinking that with the announcement of the 3’s that a sonata will be my next move.

The sonata2 is £550 from the dealer I buy from and I’d been thinking about it or the AT OC9XSL (they sell it for £579) but, if the prices are comparable, the announcement of the 3 series will likely tip the decision in favour of the Grado when the time comes.

Here is a response to a couple things I see. I am still able to ship, I have some product available, but it is limited with whats going on. The new Opus3 has a US price of $275. There is no longer a Statement and Reference Series, I noticed a comment about a Statement Sonata3. The Statement and Reference Series have been combined into the Timbre Series. All cartridges in this series are available in both High and Low Output in both Stereo and Mono. If you purchased through us directly you would go to the Sonata3 page and there is a drop down where you select which version you would like.

I'm sorry if I missed something, please ask again and I will do my best to answer...

What is the output on the low output Timbre series?

Sorry, I didn't mention pricing on the other cartridges... Most are staying the same, the Black3 is now $80 and the Green3 is $99. The Opus3 is $275 an the Platinum3 is now $400. Everything else is still the same price, I don't want to bore you all with an entire price list unless you would like me to. I again want to point out these are US prices.

Rich --

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere in this thread. I see that even your flagship Epoch3 has an elliptical diamond. With other brands, I have found many benefits inherent to the various "fine" and "micro"styles, and notice that many brands offer various shapes across their product line. Would you be willing to comment on why Grado stays faithful to the ellipse across the board?

We never argue with anyones opinion on sound, we all hear things differently and have different preferences. In our opinion the elliptical is the better option, its a quieter option. The fine/micro diamonds dig deeper into the groove and produce noise. The reviews that have been published so far seem to support our opinion. We recommend that everyone should purchase the product that gives them the most enjoyment.

We never argue with anyones opinion on sound, we all hear things differently and have different preferences. In our opinion the elliptical is the better option, its a quieter option. The fine/micro diamonds dig deeper into the groove and produce noise. The reviews that have been published so far seem to support our opinion. We recommend that everyone should purchase the product that gives them the most enjoyment.

Good answer. Thank you. I own and enjoy Grado carts (and cans!) as well, for the record. I just wondered if there was something more to it. Thank you again for responding.

Back