Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

Here’s the question though- which would you prefer to listen to? That’s what matters.

I’ve seen people choose cartridges by tracking ability. That’s like eating tofu because it’s good for you.
I would agree with you, unless nothing your playing is tracking well, which is most likely an entirely different problem, I would lean towards what delivers the best sound to MY ears ;)

It was definitely a pressing issue and in my opinion I don't think it was consistent through the run. That being said, I was able to track it with a Grado Black, Grado Gold and Ultratracker without issue. I am surprised that the SoundSmith failed getting through that stretch though.

SoundSmith and MasterTracker both failed, regardless of VTF. The 2M Bronze only tracked it at the very top of its recommended VTF.

I mean, I'm not saying the 2M was a better cartridge. Just noting that only one cart of three I've owned was able to track that particular part of Demon Days, which does point to it being a serious pressing/mastering issue and not just a matter of folks' equipment being improperly calibrated, as was implied by VMP.

Yep, to me there's no question it's screwed up, I also don't think it sounds very good either on a subjective level do to how overdriven it is. Remember for a while they blamed it on GZ's plating / pressing which I think is questionable finger pointing based on how the rest of the record sounds. I don't deny there's additional issues with the plating but the lacquer cut is clearly overdriven, the gain is through the roof and even on my VM95ML you can still hear some distortion that's not present on the digital mix.

Yep, to me there's no question it's screwed up, I also don't think it sounds very good either on a subjective level do to how overdriven it is. Remember for a while they blamed it on GZ's plating / pressing which I think is questionable finger pointing based on how the rest of the record sounds. I don't deny there's additional issues with the plating but the lacquer cut is clearly overdriven, the gain is through the roof and even on my VM95ML you can still hear some distortion that's not present on the digital mix.

Yep, I went through three copies complaining about distortion; turns out it was inherent to the master. Really disappointing, cuz Plastic Beach sounds great.

I have similar complaints about Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool.

Yep, I went through three copies complaining about distortion; turns out it was inherent to the master. Really disappointing, cuz Plastic Beach sounds great.

I have similar complaints about Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool.

I never heard that Radiohead album on vinyl, the guys at the record shop told me to stay away because they know I'm picky with pressings and such and that had a lot of returns. IIRC, that was also another "BAZZA @ ALCHEMY" cut right? Think someone needs to tell our buddy to chill with the gain knob.

I never heard that Radiohead album on vinyl, the guys at the record shop told me to stay away because they know I'm picky with pressings and such and that had a lot of returns. IIRC, that was also another "BAZZA @ ALCHEMY" cut right? Think someone needs to tell our buddy to chill with the gain knob.

I'll have to check. It's really a shame because as an album I think it's incredible, and the pressing quality is rather good. But oi, the mastering.

edit: you're right. Same guy! Aaaagh!

I'll have to check. It's really a shame because as an album I think it's incredible, and the pressing quality is rather good. But oi, the mastering.

edit: you're right. Same guy! Aaaagh!

That was compounded by a special edition with records ripped to shit by the worst paper sleeves I’ve ever encountered and on your side of the ocean another notorious Rainbo press. I had to end up buying one of the Euro standards, they were pressed at optimal, and subbing the discs into my box set. That one is at least a good pressing, mastering aside.

Honestly given when demon days was originally recorded and mastered I doubt you’re ever going to get a copy pressed that isn’t on the hot side but the first press of that VMP edition is pretty bad, that said there is no way that is just mastering, there is undoubtedly something up with some of the pressings too.

there is undoubtedly something up with some of the pressings too.
Agreed, this is why VMP leaned on people's systems as the reason, not everyone was experiencing the problem. I'm not sure if the copy I have is from the 1st pressing or not, I know VMP said they weren't going to re-press this in the beginning, and I got mine the 1st time it showed up in swaps........there after it seemed to be available regularly, so it might be from the second pressing and not from the "...........oh, I found another box of Demon Days under the sink" inventory ;)

Agreed, this is why VMP leaned on people's systems as the reason, not everyone was experiencing the problem. I'm not sure if the copy I have is from the 1st pressing or not, I know VMP said they weren't going to re-press this in the beginning, and I got mine the 1st time it showed up in swaps........there after it seemed to be available regularly, so it might be from the second pressing and not from the "...........oh, I found another box of Demon Days under the sink" inventory ;)

Yeah I got it in a PIF, it will not pass that point and it’s not like the needle is bouncing out because of excess bass either. I got one of the newest represses this December (has a fauxbi and everything lol) and it plays through it fine whilst still being super bassy and the pressing being as hot as hell!

Last edited:
Honestly given when demon days was originally recorded and mastered I doubt you’re ever going to get a copy pressed that isn’t on the hot side but the first press of that VMP edition is pretty bad, that said there is no way that is just mastering, there is undoubtedly something up with some of the pressings too.

I think you're right, it's a perfect storm of all the factors. The master itself is squashed to hell, but the record is cut way too hot on top of that. I wouldn't be surprised if it clips some phono stages with small overload margins compared to cart output. I think this makes it incredibly difficult to track without distortion even on an advanced profile stylus. Now you've got this ridiculously difficult test passage and a pressing plant that cuts corners plating and pressing to meet the insane demand of this record when it dropped and you've got an issue on hand.

I will admit, I fought the Grado craze on this forum for a few years now. I recently installed a Sumiko Rainier, and was pleased but not thrilled with it, even after 25-30 hrs. Came back to this thread, read all of you pouring out your love for the Grado sound. Then watched the video of @RichGrado talking about his beloved family business, everything made in Brooklyn....and well I just caved. So, I can confirm, ordering a Red 2 direct from Grado, will get you a Red 3!! Appreciate the upgrade @RichGrado, thank you!! Also can confirm that this old VG copy of ELO’s ‘Out of the Blue’ never sounded so sweet, I’m just sitting her melting over this sound...WOW!!!😲 I’ll be happy to sit here, and social distance all weekend.
C6C4EEF9-E6A1-4556-810B-EB215C3420A0.jpeg

I will admit, I fought the Grado craze on this forum for a few years now. I recently installed a Sumiko Rainier, and was pleased but not thrilled with it, even after 25-30 hrs. Came back to this thread, read all of you pouring out your love for the Grado sound. Then watched the video of @RichGrado talking about his beloved family business, everything made in Brooklyn....and well I just caved. So, I can confirm, ordering a Red 2 direct from Grado, will get you a Red 3!! Appreciate the upgrade @RichGrado, thank you!! Also can confirm that this old VG copy of ELO’s ‘Out of the Blue’ never sounded so sweet, I’m just sitting her melting over this sound...WOW!!!😲 I’ll be happy to sit here, and social distance all weekend.
View attachment 36387
Awesome!!!

............told ya so 🤫

View attachment 36387
Good idea, spinning ELO right now.
E8C58A21-9B3E-452E-B671-1411ABEE78C6.jpeg
p.s. holy shit, this sounds amazing.

So after a couple weeks with my Grado Blue3. I am noticing that almost everything I listen to I can hear some distortion in the right channel (some records it's more noticeable than others). Anything that I should check for this?

Back