Gotta warp, these members can help. [Vinyl Flat]

Damn! That's intense haha
None of them melted but I was so afraid to go more than one run through on low heat that most of them weren't completely flat after. Another run through might have done it but you could smell the fear on me... I don't think I would have survived it.

I had friends of friends on Instagram send me several shipments of crazy expensive like 60 year old Blue Note records to flatten. Like these are the guys that regularly post $2000+ albums on the Gram and they're sending them across the border for me to flatten. I was sweating bullets. I think it almost killed me.
jeez...but also if you have that much warpage and a collection/records in that dollar range that need flattened ...you'd think they'd invest in a vinyl flat or similar device of their own.

View attachment 141699

View attachment 141701

You see the "orange peeley" emboss against the light. The record was decently warped before hand and was skipping, so I likely was not going to play it unless it was flatter. This has locked grooves now and skips like an old CD player!

Not on you, @AnthonyI - I would not have sent it if I didn't trust your expertise! Please don't feel bad - it is NOT your fault.

Now, who wants to set up my GoFundMe to buy another copy of this record for $300 on Discogs? lol
WOW

I have never had anything like this happen. Did they press that record on putty?

jeez...but also if you have that much warpage and a collection/records in that dollar range that need flattened ...you'd think they'd invest in a vinyl flat or similar device of their own.
I mean that's what I was thinking the entire time. Like just sell one of your records and buy one!

I mentioned the same thing to @scotthilk, I think some of the vinyl being used is subpar to cut costs.............of course those savings aren't being passed to the consumer, but that's a different argument.

But, ya, I've never had anything "melt" on me, this is a first and it bothers me for numerous reasons and It's gonna make me hesitant with stuff that isn't mine.

Wouldn't doubt it, I see the same thing in the golf industry. Cheaper alloys to cut costs but clubs are more expensive. My stuff is primarly 70's-80's and I've had 100% success (fingers crossed), all edge warps, a few significant. I ran the colored Raven record I posted about earlier (post #508) through one more cycle (2hrs 15 min), flattened it nicely. After a number of trials the sweet spot for me is 3 hrs @ medium heat, 30 minutes for warmup (VF in pouch) then 2.5 hrs loaded (full felt ring). Knocked out every edge warp. I can't speak to newer releases.

Edit: Forgot to add, I don't use the washer/wingnut when heating. Forgot to use it once and found it worked better without. Could be random, but why mess with success :cool:

Last edited:
Being a 45rpm pressing I can see it being a little more "violent", that said, I wouldn't even go out of my way to flatten this.

I don’t know that I would even notice it was warped it’s so slight tbh. Especially given some of the actual warps I’ve had down the years.

Back