Gotta warp, these members can help. [Vinyl Flat]

Just an update to my "generosity", if you're reaching out for help and have less than 50 posts, DM me to discuss compensation. :rolleyes:
DmIQ.gif

Yeah, I took my name off the list. People were making accounts and PMing me. No way I’m giving my home address to a brand new account. I would even say “well-known member” is not a low bar.
Actually this is a good idea, you guys all know me and know I'll help and know to send any regulars to me... Does someone mind removing me from the list just so I don't get random locals contacting me.
I do not like people on my lawn AND THEY ARE GETTING DANGEROUSLY CLOSE TO MY LAWN

you're not on the hit list in the OP. I'm sure @AnthonyI would be happy to add you. :devilish:

honestly, though, maybe we should set a minimum post count to avoid drive-bys.
Well, I didn't want to speak for anyone else. I mean, without sounding egotistical, I'm pretty generous when it come to this and other things around here and our regulars "get it" and have common sense. I'll always help out those I know and even those I don't know, but are active members, but ya, screening from now on.

If those volunteering want to add a new rule to the thread, just let me know.

Actually this is a good idea, you guys all know me and know I'll help and know to send any regulars to me... Does someone mind removing me from the list just so I don't get random locals contacting me.
I do not like people on my lawn AND THEY ARE GETTING DANGEROUSLY CLOSE TO MY LAWN
I can, but this is why I went with a post count. Someone reaches out and they're new, they're not getting a response from me..............it's spelled out on the first post now. That being said, I can remove you if you like.

Yeah, I took my name off the list. People were making accounts and PMing me. No way I’m giving my home address to a brand new account. I would even say “well-known member” is not a low bar.
I actually like that, do you know what the post count is for "Well Known Member"??

I actually like that, do you know what the post count is for "Well Known Member"??
It’s a combination of things I think. It’s tied to your “score” on the site which is a combination of post count and other things like if your posts are “liked” and how people interact with you.

Also, it’s fair to say that it’s OK to say no to anything or anyone.

Appreciate your time and help, @AnthonyI !
No worries, sorry things went south. That being said, I think you should post the pics of what happened, full transparency and more so that people see what can happen even if you're being careful and know what you're doing.

So long story short, @scotthilk sent me a couple albums to press, clear colored vinyl, I've done these a million times before. With these types of albums I go the cautious route, low heat, short time. These were at a low setting for 30 minutes, the bare minimum that usually shows no results, so I just tack on 15 minute increments.

Oddly enough, these were flat out of the first go around. I usually toss the albums on the TT and give them a "visual" spin to make sure they're flat and send them along.

These seem to be really, REALLY, sensitive to heat (see pics if @scotthilk posts them), if I didn't know better they took on the imprint of the felt rings. So these got that soft, that fast.

I'm truly upset this happened, even though I know it wasn't intentional or due to neglect, but as I keep reiterating when it comes to flattening vinyl, you just never know. And this is coming from someone who's done a boat load with no issues.

Anyway, I don't like hiding these types of things from members, you all know me, and to me it's important to point out the bad as well as the good.

No worries, sorry things went south. That being said, I think you should post the pics of what happened, full transparency and more so that people see what can happen even if you're being careful and know what you're doing.

So long story short, @scotthilk sent me a couple albums to press, clear colored vinyl, I've done these a million times before. With these types of albums I go the cautious route, low heat, short time. These were at a low setting for 30 minutes, the bare minimum that usually shows no results, so I just tack on 15 minute increments.

Oddly enough, these were flat out of the first go around. I usually toss the albums on the TT and give them a "visual" spin to make sure they're flat and send them along.

These seem to be really, REALLY, sensitive to heat (see pics if @scotthilk posts them), if I didn't know better they took on the imprint of the felt rings. So these got that soft, that fast.

I'm truly upset this happened, even though I know it wasn't intentional or due to neglect, but as I keep reiterating when it comes to flattening vinyl, you just never know. And this is coming from someone who's done a boat load with no issues.

Anyway, I don't like hiding these types of things from members, you all know me, and to me it's important to point out the bad as well as the good.
Yeah even with my Furutech and all it's "technology" it's still an absolute lottery as to what will come out flat, and what inexplicably comes out a partially melted oval. I think with all the vinyl being pressed these days, and all the fancy color combos, there a lot of corners being cut by the manufacturing plants in regards to the quality of the pellets they use. I've had several albums come out melted even when used on the lowest setting. I'm actually really reticent to even use it these days, I just flatten with my clamp and washer combo because I'd rather have a warped playable record, then melted trash. But obviously this is only possible if you have a screw down clamp, which I honestly think all tables should automatically have at this point.

Yeah even with my Furutech and all it's "technology" it's still an absolute lottery as to what will come out flat, and what inexplicably comes out a partially melted oval. I think with all the vinyl being pressed these days, and all the fancy color combos, there a lot of corners being cut by the manufacturing plants in regards to the quality of the vinyl they use. I've had several albums come out melted even when used on the lowest setting. I'm actually really reticent to even use it these days, I just flatten with my clamp and washer combo because I'd rather have a warped playable record, then melted trash. But obviously this is only possible if you have a screw down clamp, which I honestly think all tables should automatically have at this point.
I mentioned the same thing to @scotthilk, I think some of the vinyl being used is subpar to cut costs.............of course those savings aren't being passed to the consumer, but that's a different argument.

But, ya, I've never had anything "melt" on me, this is a first and it bothers me for numerous reasons and It's gonna make me hesitant with stuff that isn't mine.

I mentioned the same thing to @scotthilk, I think some of the vinyl being used is subpar to cut costs.............of course those savings aren't being passed to the consumer, but that's a different argument.

But, ya, I've never had anything "melt" on me, this is a first and it bothers me for numerous reasons and It's gonna make me hesitant with stuff that isn't mine.
It's strange because every time it's happened to me what occurs is wherever the worst part of the warp is (this almost exclusively only happens with bad edge/pinch warps) the record comes out flat but that warped section almost appears stretched, so the grooves violently jog towards the outer rim of the record as it goes over where the warp was. I'm hypothesizing that with these particular pinch warps what's happening is the original press was so messed up that it pressed the grooves into the warped vinyl in such a way that the only way the record could actually play properly is with the warp still existing, the grooves are actually pressed into the raised section of the warp. So when the warp is flattened it's not so much melting as it is actually doing it's job and flattening the record, but because it was so screwed up initially when the warp is flattened the record is actually no longer a circle. And the grooves are now stretched over the flattened section.

Last edited:
It's strange because every time it's happened to me what occurs is wherever the worst part of the warp is (this almost exclusively only happens with bad edge/pinch warps) the record comes out flat but that warped section almost appears stretched, so the grooves violently jog towards the outer rim of the record as it goes over where the warp was. I'm hypothesizing that with these particular pinch warps what's happening is the original press was so messed up that it pressed the grooves into the warped vinyl in such a way that the only way the record could actually play properly is with the warp still existing, the grooves are actually pressed into the raised section of the warp. So when the warp is flattened it's not so much melting as it is actually doing it's job and flattening the record, but because it was so screwed up initially when the warp is flattened the record is actually no longer a circle.
there are some acute warps that have damaged the groove too badly to repair without noisy artifacts, often a sort of WHOOSH noise. I never blame the Vinyl Flat for this - often the warps that produce this sort of issue after flattening are so sharp they will literally throw the stylus out of the groove, and are otherwise unplayable. So at least you end up with a trackable record at the end.

there are some acute warps that have damaged the groove too badly to repair without noisy artifacts, often a sort of WHOOSH noise. I never blame the Vinyl Flat for this - often the warps that produce this sort of issue after flattening are so sharp they will literally throw the stylus out of the groove, and are otherwise unplayable. So at least you end up with a trackable record at the end.
Yeah I mean these ones I'm talking about are not trackable after. I mean they ARE if your table is good enough. But if your table is good enough there's no way in hell you're playing these on it once you see your expensive cart taking a hard 90° turn at Albuquerque every rotation.

Last edited:
8BCFE290-0560-4656-BE1D-40DC02D68D32.jpeg

4E9F8A97-6F4E-4CC3-986B-868380DD1DCB.jpeg

You see the "orange peeley" emboss against the light. The record was decently warped before hand and was skipping, so I likely was not going to play it unless it was flatter. This has locked grooves now and skips like an old CD player!

Not on you, @AnthonyI - I would not have sent it if I didn't trust your expertise! Please don't feel bad - it is NOT your fault.

Now, who wants to set up my GoFundMe to buy another copy of this record for $300 on Discogs? lol

View attachment 141699

View attachment 141701

You see the "orange peeley" emboss against the light. The record was decently warped before hand and was skipping, so I likely was not going to play it unless it was flatter. This has locked grooves now and skips like an old CD player!

Not on you, @AnthonyI - I would not have sent it if I didn't trust your expertise! Please don't feel bad - it is NOT your fault.

Now, who wants to set up my GoFundMe to buy another copy of this record for $300 on Discogs? lol
I had friends of friends on Instagram send me several shipments of crazy expensive like 60 year old Blue Note records to flatten. Like these are the guys that regularly post $2000+ albums on the Gram and they're sending them across the border for me to flatten. I was sweating bullets. I think it almost killed me.

I had friends of friends on Instagram send me several shipments of crazy expensive like 60 year old Blue Note records to flatten. Like these are the guys that regularly post $2000+ albums on the Gram and they're sending them across the border for me to flatten. I was sweating bullets. I think it almost killed me.
Damn! That's intense haha

Back