Gardening

This thread looks fun. Here's a tour of our backyard. The gardening is all my wife's work. I just help here and there, so I don't want to take credit for anything.

I'm more the equivalent of the migrant worker during raspberry season... which happens to be right now.

This is the tomato patch. They're coming along nicely. I think we might even get a few very soon.

IMG_0601.JPG

Here are the raspberries. We have a good 20 feet of them and they're producing quite well this year. This is what I've been doing every evening.

IMG_0602.JPG

Next is the new zucchini bed.

IMG_0603.JPG

We started a few currant plants 2 years ago. Three black and one red. They were cuttings from my in-law's. Looks like they are producing a few fruits this year.

IMG_0604.JPG

This is the herb area. And a few grape vines that never produce much other than attract japanese beetles. My wife insists on having these climb on the pergola. I'm scared of raining japanese beetles. I don't win these debates.

IMG_0605.JPG

Looks like we'll get a hand full of blueberries.

IMG_0606.JPG

This is the main garden bed by the house. We have lettuce, radishes, dill, chives and climbing beans among other things. Mint in the back.

IMG_0607.JPG

And here are the pots on the deck. My wife is trying to make some climbing cucumbers melons (EDIT: those are actually melons back there - cantaloupe on the left and water melon on the right - there are small melons coming and my wife just hung them in nylons for support - I'll take photos when I get a chance). There are some peppers in there and a failed attempt at strawberries in the blue pail. Some of the house plants are out for summer too.

IMG_0608.JPG

Last edited:
This is what I collected this evening. We freeze them individually on a tray and then bag them for use all year (jams, smoothies, etc). I'm almost done a second large Ziplock. I think we should be able to fill up three by the end of the season in a week or two.

IMG_0609.JPG

So raspberry season is finished over here as of tonight. Picked only 4-5 and they went straight into my mouth.

This is my production for the year - three large ziplocks with individually frozen berries for use all year. I also have a few handfuls in a 4th bag I started a few days ago. The year turned out much better than I expected. I didn't get huge days like some years but the production was steady. I got a solid 3-4 weeks of berries.

IMG_0676.JPG

Last edited:
Ok here is my front yard for the next 7 weeks. Patiently waiting for November planting season to come around.
View attachment 67615

Good luck!

We should probably do the same with ours - start fresh with our lawn. We've got quite a few varieties of different grass growing, all at a different pace, from previous owners of our house. It's quite frustrating sometimes.

We created a delicious fresh pasta sauce with our garden beefsteak tomatoes this week. It was sweet and chunky, just how I like it. Our grape tomatoes are starting to decrease production, which is fine - we have sooo many to last us. Caught a few giant caterpillars munching on the tomato plants.

The zucchini plants are just about done, and the open space in the garden have been taken over by the strawberries, although we haven't had a single fruit from them since June. I think we have something eating them.

Our snap beans, finally recovered from being ravaged by the japanese beetles, are producing like mad. I have a gallon bag of them in the freezer because there's too much for us to eat.

The wife has requested another planter box for next year, so I think we can call this year a success.

received_322659065684937.jpeg

Good luck!

We should probably do the same with ours - start fresh with our lawn. We've got quite a few varieties of different grass growing, all at a different pace, from previous owners of our house. It's quite frustrating sometimes.

We created a delicious fresh pasta sauce with our garden beefsteak tomatoes this week. It was sweet and chunky, just how I like it. Our grape tomatoes are starting to decrease production, which is fine - we have sooo many to last us. Caught a few giant caterpillars munching on the tomato plants.

The zucchini plants are just about done, and the open space in the garden have been taken over by the strawberries, although we haven't had a single fruit from them since June. I think we have something eating them.

Our snap beans, finally recovered from being ravaged by the japanese beetles, are producing like mad. I have a gallon bag of them in the freezer because there's too much for us to eat.

The wife has requested another planter box for next year, so I think we can call this year a success.

View attachment 67616
Tomato horn worms. Kill it. They can ravage your whole garden in a day.

Good luck!

View attachment 67616
I’ve had some monarch caterpillars on my milkweed, but I think the birds get them before they change to the chrysalis stage.

Back