Fresh Grabs

A really sweet box of PIFs arrived today. Collects PIFs from @Dead C , @zdkaiser and @yukbon . Just started digging into it with the Daptone Soul Revue spinning as I write this.

Various - The Daptone Super Soul Revue Live! At The Apollo - from @yukbon
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2 - RSD edition - from @zdkaiser
Madvillain - Madvillainy - from @Dead C
Aesop Rock & Homeboy Sandman - Lice - from @Dead C
Aesop Rock - Spirit World Field Guide - from @Dead C

IMG_0780.JPG

Ordered a reissued CD since the LP has climbed on the secondary market and an original is usually over 300. An odd slice of abnormal alternative art rock that I have seen described as Pere Ubu with teeth. Ahead of its time for 1975.

Debris’ - Static Disposal

IMG_2829.jpeg

PIF from @avecigrec came in earlier today. Another Aesop Rock from my PIFsgiving haul. Was telling him that I'm now set-up for an Aesop Rock spinning day (which will have to wait until the in-laws leave after the new year, but it will happen). Avecigrec was also kind enough to add a surprise Lee Scratch Perry bonus record. I don't know this one but I enjoy dub reggae so this may very well be up my alley.

IMG_0784.JPG

Some Boxing Day sale purchases arrived!

Gerald Wilson Big Band - Moment Of Truth (Blue Note, 2022 Tone Poet Pressing)
Harold Vick - Steppin' Out! (Blue Note, 2022 Tone Poet Pressing)
Charles Lloyd - 8: Kindred Spirits Live From The Lobero Theater (Blue Note, 2020 Pressing)

Back when Blue Note first started releasing the Tone Poets I was able to get each one for less than £20 a time, but after 20 or so the deals started disappearing and now I rarely find them for those kind of prices. Fortunately, I was able to get a couple more for a good price on boxing day, with the Charles Lloyd set being an add-on. Strangely it is supposed to be 3-sided but the second disc has a side 4 to it, which leads me to believe it's from the extended set.

IMG_7261.JPG

Takeo Moriyama - Live At Lovely (Diw Records, 2023 BBE Pressing)
Shintaro Quintet - Evolution (Streetnoise Records, 2021 BBE Pressing)
Hideyasu Terakawa Quartet Featuring Hiroshi Fujii - Introducing Hideyasu Terakawa Quartet Live Featuring Hiroshi Fujii (Red Horison, 2023 BBE Pressing)

The same comment about the Tone Poet deals are the same for the BBE J-Jazz series, but fortunately for me some of these had good deals on Amazon recently so here are a few more. Really looking forward to the Moriyama in particular, looks fantastic.

IMG_7262.JPG

Big Bill Broonzy - Sings Folk Songs (Folkaway, 1962 First Pressing)
Lee Morgan - Infinity (Blue Note, 1981 First Pressing)
New Jazz Group - Modern Jazz Scene, 1956 (Tempo, 1956 First 7" Pressing)
The Tony Coe Quintet - Swingin' Till The Girls Come Home (Philips, 1962 First Pressing)
The Don Weller Spring Quartet - Commit No Nuisance (Affinity, 1979 First Signed Pressing)

A nice mix here. I sold my VMP pressing of Big Bill Broonzy a few years ago and regretted it so thrilled I was able to get this first pressing with the booklet! The British jazz bits are fantastic, with the Tony Coe being one that usually goes for more money but weirdly I was the only bidder. The Don Weller has the nice bonus of being signed by the man himself!

IMG_7390.JPG

A couple of days late.

December Acquisitions

Secret Santa gifts
Deep Earth - Nachtmusik
Kimiko Kasai (笠井紀美子) w/Herbie Hancock - Butterfly
Little Simz - NO THANK YOU

20240103_011831.jpg

Thank you again for the package, @AndySlash! These are all great.

PIF claims / City Pop

Casiopea - SUPER FLIGHT
Satoshi Suzuki (鈴木慧) - Distant Travel Companion (遠い旅の同行者)
Masayoshi Takanaka (高中正義) - Alone
Yellow Magic Orchestra - Naughty Boys
20240103_012643.jpg

Thank you to @debar22 for both the Casiopea PIF and the complementary Takanaka record! I haven't played either of them yet, and will get to them this month.
Got the Satoshi Suzuki record from a tone poem pop-up show; it is a private press from a botique label. The OBI strip states that the components are distributed as 40% jazz, 30% soul, 20% Brazil, and 10% popular song influence. To me, this archival release is more of a minimal synthpop/city pop hybrid with a lo-fi aesthetic. I love it either way. Seems to be out of stock in most places. $24!
Found the last YMO record I've been in search of!

2023 releases
Anagrams - Blue Voices
Armand Hammer - We Buy Diabetic Test Strips
Lemon Quartet - ArtsFest
Roy Werner - Imagine My Surprise

20240103_014606.jpg

Balmat has become a top10 favorite label for me. I gave Blue Voices initially a "(y)" impression, but changed to "🔥" a month after. I'm loving the hybrid of ambient and jazz here. Got this at DeepDiscount at 15% off for just under $24 total, which would be impossible to find for such a price in the open with the label having limited distribution to the US.
Obviously pricey (everything from Backwoodz Studios is this way) for a 2xLP but a worthwhile hip-hop i n v e s t m e n t. One of the best hip-hop records from 2023.
More ambient jazz/experimental music from Last Resort with Lemon Quartet's follow-up ArtsFest. Among my favorite jazz releases in what I thought was a shallow year for the genre.
Another enjoyable one from Moon Glyph, another top10 favorite label.
I'm planning on performing an ambient jazz DJ set sometime this year; Blue Voices, ArtsFest, and Imagine My Surprise will be useful assets when the day comes.

Ambient adjacent
Attilio - Art Takes a Holiday
Lucinda Chua - Antidotes
Mort Garson - Mother Earth's Plantasia
Grouper - Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill
Motohiko Hamase - Notes of Forestry

20240103_013526.jpg

Found the Attilio reissue at Mississippi, even though it is a release on the MP label. Must've been a lot of deadstock; only $12 sealed when it is usually $20 from MP's in-store or online stock.
This double EP of Lucinda Chua's was only $5 from Oldies. I don't even know if I'll keep it long term.
Had the VMP of Mother Earth's Plantasia a few years ago (sold on Discogs), but eventually found myself wanting this again, especially since the master tapes have been found and used for another reissue run. $19 from Mississippi.
Repress of Grouper's cherished ambient folk tapestry.
Taking a chance on this Japanese ambient/minimalist record. Cover art looked convincing.

Miscellaneous
Actress - Karma & Desire
Eomac - Cracks
Imarhan - Aboogi
Loraine James - Reflection
Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain
Snowpoet - Wait For Me

20240103_015541.jpg

Actress, Eomac, and Imarhan were all $5 or so from Oldies. Snowpoet about $12.
Found the Loraine James used for $15 at Little Axe. I find it far better than her effort from last year. Will be useful for DJ purposes either way.
The Vaudville Villain reissue should cap off the MF DOOM related projects that I want on wax.

No new purchases for at least three months. I have one PIF, one prize, and four preorders (three of which will likely be cancelled) pending otherwise.

A couple of days late.

December Acquisitions

Secret Santa gifts
Deep Earth - Nachtmusik
Kimiko Kasai (笠井紀美子) w/Herbie Hancock - Butterfly
Little Simz - NO THANK YOU

View attachment 191951

Thank you again for the package, @AndySlash! These are all great.

PIF claims / City Pop

Casiopea - SUPER FLIGHT
Satoshi Suzuki (鈴木慧) - Distant Travel Companion (遠い旅の同行者)
Masayoshi Takanaka (高中正義) - Alone
Yellow Magic Orchestra - Naughty Boys
View attachment 191950

Thank you to @debar22 for both the Casiopea PIF and the complementary Takanaka record! I haven't played either of them yet, and will get to them this month.
Got the Satoshi Suzuki record from a tone poem pop-up show; it is a private press from a botique label. The OBI strip states that the components are distributed as 40% jazz, 30% soul, 20% Brazil, and 10% popular song influence. To me, this archival release is more of a minimal synthpop/city pop hybrid with a lo-fi aesthetic. I love it either way. Seems to be out of stock in most places. $24!
Found the last YMO record I've been in search of!

2023 releases
Anagrams - Blue Voices
Armand Hammer - We Buy Diabetic Test Strips
Lemon Quartet - ArtsFest
Roy Werner - Imagine My Surprise

View attachment 191948

Balmat has become a top10 favorite label for me. I gave Blue Voices initially a "(y)" impression, but changed to "🔥" a month after. I'm loving the hybrid of ambient and jazz here. Got this at DeepDiscount at 15% off for just under $24 total, which would be impossible to find for such a price in the open with the label having limited distribution to the US.
Obviously pricey (everything from Backwoodz Studios is this way) for a 2xLP but a worthwhile hip-hop i n v e s t m e n t. One of the best hip-hop records from 2023.
More ambient jazz/experimental music from Last Resort with Lemon Quartet's follow-up ArtsFest. Among my favorite jazz releases in what I thought was a shallow year for the genre.
Another enjoyable one from Moon Glyph, another top10 favorite label.
I'm planning on performing an ambient jazz DJ set sometime this year; Blue Voices, ArtsFest, and Imagine My Surprise will be useful assets when the day comes.

Ambient adjacent
Attilio - Art Takes a Holiday
Lucinda Chua - Antidotes
Mort Garson - Mother Earth's Plantasia
Grouper - Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill
Motohiko Hamase - Notes of Forestry

View attachment 191949

Found the Attilio reissue at Mississippi, even though it is a release on the MP label. Must've been a lot of deadstock; only $12 sealed when it is usually $20 from MP's in-store or online stock.
This double EP of Lucinda Chua's was only $5 from Oldies. I don't even know if I'll keep it long term.
Had the VMP of Mother Earth's Plantasia a few years ago (sold on Discogs), but eventually found myself wanting this again, especially since the master tapes have been found and used for another reissue run. $19 from Mississippi.
Repress of Grouper's cherished ambient folk tapestry.
Taking a chance on this Japanese ambient/minimalist record. Cover art looked convincing.

Miscellaneous
Actress - Karma & Desire
Eomac - Cracks
Imarhan - Aboogi
Loraine James - Reflection
Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain
Snowpoet - Wait For Me

View attachment 191947

Actress, Eomac, and Imarhan were all $5 or so from Oldies. Snowpoet about $12.
Found the Loraine James used for $15 at Little Axe. I find it far better than her effort from last year. Will be useful for DJ purposes either way.
The Vaudville Villain reissue should cap off the MF DOOM related projects that I want on wax.

No new purchases for at least three months. I have one PIF, one prize, and four preorders (three of which will likely be cancelled) pending otherwise.

I recommend checking out these other Motohiko Hamase releases, too. He has some range. His music can vary dramatically.

Last edited:
Back