Fresh Grabs

Elton Dean, Steve Miller & Pip Pyle - Home Brewed (British Progressive Jazz, 2023 First Pressing)
Tommy Whittle Quintet - Easy Listening With Tommy Whittle And His Friends (Ember Records, 1960 Pressing)
Dizzy Reece Quartet - Original Jazz Themes From The Ealing Film "Nowhere To Go" (Tempo, 1959 First 7" Pressing)

Whilst I'm nervously waiting for my VMP package to turn up before I go away for Christmas, a few British jazz gems arrived. "Home Brewed" is the 2nd vinyl release from British Progressive Jazz, which is the label set up by a Jazz In Britain co-founder. It looks great so I cant wait to dig in. The Tommy Whittle was a great score. Its a same-year reissue of his Tempo release "New Horizons" which is mega rare, but in itself this pressing only has 10 other people with it in their Discogs collection. Finally, I lucked out on a well-priced Dizzy Reece 7" because it didnt have the sleeve.

IMG_6819.jpg

Elton Dean, Steve Miller & Pip Pyle - Home Brewed (British Progressive Jazz, 2023 First Pressing)
Tommy Whittle Quintet - Easy Listening With Tommy Whittle And His Friends (Ember Records, 1960 Pressing)
Dizzy Reece Quartet - Original Jazz Themes From The Ealing Film "Nowhere To Go" (Tempo, 1959 First 7" Pressing)

Whilst I'm nervously waiting for my VMP package to turn up before I go away for Christmas, a few British jazz gems arrived. "Home Brewed" is the 2nd vinyl release from British Progressive Jazz, which is the label set up by a Jazz In Britain co-founder. It looks great so I cant wait to dig in. The Tommy Whittle was a great score. Its a same-year reissue of his Tempo release "New Horizons" which is mega rare, but in itself this pressing only has 10 other people with it in their Discogs collection. Finally, I lucked out on a well-priced Dizzy Reece 7" because it didnt have the sleeve.

View attachment 190598
Love the look of that Tommy Whittle!

Thrill Jockey rando box showed up. 6 for $22 is a nice deal!

White Hills - Glitter, Glamour, Atrocity
Tunnels - The Blackout
Emptyset - Borders
Mountains - Mountains Mountains Mountains
Arbouretum - Rites Of Uncovering
School Of Language - Sea From Shore

View attachment 190600
That Arbouretum - Rites Of Uncovering is really good. not familiar with the rest.

Another bunch of records since last time...

Kelela "Raven" - From the VMP 40% code, very happy with the pressing
Sly & The Family Stone "There's A Riot Goin On" - From the VMP 40% code, about as good as this can sound given the source so excellent pressing and very happy with it
The Strokes "Room On Fire" - From the VMP 40% code, a tiny bit better than my 2020 reissue, so I guess an upgrade but not sure I needed to make it in retrospect

IMG_0724.JPG

Blur "Modern Life Is Rubbish" - 2023 remastered reissue, obtained from Apocalypse with a $25 gift certificate PIF from @Melt Face Molly Drop. Very nice pressing.
The Charlatans "The Charlatans" - 2021 reissue, PIF from @Ethos99 - another excellent remaster that sounds quite good.
Nightmares On Wax "Ina Space Outta Sound" - 2014 reissue, fially pressed the trigged on a wantlist item, and very happy with this pressing as well.
Jam City "Jam City Presents EFM" - 2023 recent release that I preordered, some pretty sweet dance-pop.

IMG_0749.JPG

ZZ Top "Tres Hombres" - VMP rock ROTM, just received
Aesop Rock "None Shall Pass" - from the VMP 40% code, spinning as I write this post. Sounds good but there's some right channel noise in the opening of both sides 1 and 2... not bad enough to request a replacement yet. Now have 2 Aesop Rock's with a bunch from PIFsgiving still incoming!
Jitwam "Third" - VMP free record from the 3 month re-sub. Just received. Streamed this a lot - will be nice to listen on vinyl.

IMG_0760.JPG

It's $110 + tax (and free ship) from Bezos, so I guess that's the reference price for me.

Looks like I paid $67.64 with their CYBER code before the sale ended, which basically equated to paying $3.50 for shipping instead of $13

Forgot to convert the doll hairs... basically Ninety-Canuck

That Arbouretum - Rites Of Uncovering is really good. not familiar with the rest.
Still need to get to that one. Liked the School of Language, it's the guy from Field Music. Tunnels and Emptyset had ambient leanings. White Hills was a nice mess of rock. A nice grouping of things I didn't really know. Not sure I need to be buying a pack of records I don't know though.

Last / This Month's ordering spree continues to trickle in the mail...
20231217_221832.jpg
VMP Box #1 from that 40% off sale (clockwise from top left)
Outkast - ATLiens
Grimes - Visions
Saul Williams - S/T
Outkast - Skankonia
Dinah Washington - For Those In Love
Blossom Dearie - S/T

20231217_222201.jpg
Clockwise from top left:
Blossom Dearie - Once Upon A Summer Time (from Oldies - probably the only item in that order i'm likely to get)
Amy Winehouse - Lioness: Hidden Treasures (from SOV - the last missing piece of my order)
Malcolm Robinson - Symphony of Zeal
Frank Ocean - Blonde
Mort Garson - Mother Earth's Plantasia (PIF courtesy of @cashew)
Simple Minds - Sparkle in the Rain (I flattened some records for @djdavedk and he offered me to keep which ever one i wanted and i kept this one).

Almost forgot to post this but i've been looking for this one for a while now - Ichiko Aoba - 0
20231217_225610.jpg

Last edited:
Last / This Month's ordering spree continues to trickle in the mail...
View attachment 190721
VMP Box #1 from that 40% off sale (clockwise from top left)
Outkast - ATLiens
Grimes - Visions
Saul Williams - S/T
Outkast - Skankonia
Dinah Washington - For Those In Love
Blossom Dearie - S/T

View attachment 190723
Clockwise from top left:
Blossom Dearie - Once Upon A Summer Time (from Oldies - probably the one one in that order i'm likely to get)
Amy Winehouse - Lioness: Hidden Treasures (from SOV)
Malcolm Robinson - Symphony of Zeal
Frank Ocean - Blonde
Mort Garson - Mother Earth's Plantasia (PIF courtesy of @cashew)
Simple Minds - Sparkle in the Rain (I flattened some records for @djdavedk and he offered me to keep which ever one i wanted and i kept this one).

Almost forgot to post this but i've been looking for this one for a while now - Ichiko Aoba - 0
View attachment 190725

Heck yeah Saul Williams!!

Back