Fresh Grabs

RCJP Box in the house

First up some Paul Simon albums I didn’t already have. All JP presses.

IMG_0076.jpeg

Then the first 3 Dexys albums. JP presses for the first two and a UK for the third.

IMG_0077.jpeg

Then two Otis albums I didn’t own and a low key Aretha classic that has never been repressed. Delighted to get it and it now completes the Aretha albums I want to own! All JP presses.

IMG_0078.jpeg

Finally a Tom Petty I didn’t already own. Another I’m delighted to get. A Pallas press from 2011 originally released in Canada. Was sealed as new.

IMG_0079.jpeg

A couple arrivals last night that were exciting to me.

Les Rallizes Denudes - Citta' '93, The Darkness - Permission to Land... Again (Super Deluxe, Walmart had it for $60)

And many thanks to @djdavedk for the Run DMC jacket to complete my Frankenstein copy with the killer MoFi pif of the disc from @marshall. I was a bit disappointed with the I Robot one-step that I got the other day (dish warped and noisy in a few parts) but I spun this album again this morning and it's a chef's kiss. I did not expect the Run DMC to sound so good, but it's excellent.

IMG_20231011_093234.jpg

Its reissues week
Mogwai - Mr Beast (now completes my Mogwai studio albums, just need Zidane OST to pretty much have everything)
Syd Barrett box (have to say I am feeling more disappointed about this, Jack pretty much put in zero effort on it)
Bobbie Gentry - Ode to Billie Joe (excited for this one)
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs (still waiting on Frank and Bone Machine)
Lush - Spooky and Split (Bandbox editions)

IMG_1769.jpg

Its reissues week
Mogwai - Mr Beast (now completes my Mogwai studio albums, just need Zidane OST to pretty much have everything)
Syd Barrett box (have to say I am feeling more disappointed about this, Jack pretty much put in zero effort on it)
Bobbie Gentry - Ode to Billie Joe (excited for this one)
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs (still waiting on Frank and Bone Machine)
Lush - Spooky and Split (Bandbox editions)

View attachment 184590

Agree with you on the Syd box - my first Third man vault purchase and possibly the last - split 7 inch sleeve - info card roughly separated so it looks torn - zero booklet - not that well packaged for posting - however … the vinyl is beautiful to look at !

Agree with you on the Syd box - my first Third man vault purchase and possibly the last - split 7 inch sleeve - info card roughly separated so it looks torn - zero booklet - not that well packaged for posting - however … the vinyl is beautiful to look at !
I had hoped for a bit more info on Syd and the recordings. There is a lot of myth around them so a bit of detail would have been nice. The 7in is pretty much a toss away, but at least it wasn't a vhs tape.

Last edited:

I had hoped for a bit more info on the Syd and the recordings. There is a lot of myth around them so a bit of detail would have been nice. The 7in is pretty much a toss away, but at least it wasn't a vhs tape.

I'm growing increasingly concerned and apprehensive about his Camille release at this point - whenever it happens...

September Acquisitions

Avantgarde selections

Ernest Hood - Back to the Woodlands
Pauline Oliveros - The Wanderer
V/A - Virtual Dreams: Ambient Explorations in the House & Techno Age, 1993-1997

View attachment 183532

During Music Millennium's annual sidewalk sale, the Ernest Hood companion piece for cheaper than anywhere else. It was also the lone purchase for that sale. I probably would've found more if I went earlier than on the third day out of the four the sale was held for.
I've noticed that Oliveros's music on LP runs fairly high on price. But it was cheapest at Mississippi out of all avenues, like usual.
Found a new favorite record last month (Passenger Seat Records; def in my top5 of PDX already) and also a MFM compilation I had searching to add for years. MFM does great work here again.

Current Year selections

Alabaster dePlume - Come With Fierce Grace
CHAI - CHAI (signed)
maya ongaku - Approach to Anima
Jonny Nash - Point of Entry

View attachment 183533

Bought the new Alabaster dePlume at Mississippi. A needed return to form.
Bought the signed CHAI from their show last week, not really having planned on buying until I saw that merch copies were presigned. Had an even better time than last year! Got to speak to Mana (マナ) and Yuna (ユナ) at the merch desk for a few minutes in Japanese, too.
Found one of my favorites of the year at MP. Beautiful ambient folk music from Japan.
Found also the newest from Gaussian Curve member Jonny Nash at PSR which, I kid you not, could land in my top10 by year's end. It is certainly my favorite pure ambient/new age record of the year as of now.

Miscellaneous selections

Anri (杏里)-  COOOL
Isabelle Antenna - En Cavale
Kraftwerk - Computer World
Pharoah Sanders -  Karma

View attachment 183534

Got one of the Anri reissues, but waited too long on Timely! and now massively regret it.
Numero did a great job with this Isabelle Antenna reissue. Some bonus cuts and great photography, too.
Solid reissue from Kling Klang on the Kraftwerk mainstay.
Found the Karma AS reissue used for $29. It's passable, I don't think this record sounds impressive given the QRP/RKS hype and all that.

Swans - Filth (signed)
Swans - To Be Kind (signed)
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Susumu Yokota - Space Teddy Collection

View attachment 183535

Saw Swans two weeks ago. Unrelenting and revelatory. I didn't know Gira would pop out after the show finished to sign merch, so I left my initial copy of To Be Kind at home. I did purchase both a duplicate and Filth to get signed afterwards. Not sure how much longer Gira will keep on.
Unimpressed by the Waits reissue. Doesn't help that the label was affixed off center, rendering the last track on each side unplayable.
This reissue from Susumu Yokota (横田進) finds him in a techno/acid trance lane. Should be optimal for DJing!

PIF claims

Bedouine - Waysides
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue Acoustic

View attachment 183531

From @SMeekWoodworks, @yukbon, and @Jan respectively. Outside of Sextant not arriving as I had hoped (damage to record), satisfied with the PIF items here.
Great pick up on that Jonny Nash. I’ve been loving that one, just got it a few weeks ago! My copy is a bit noisy but oh well

That's a bummer, but now I just want them to ship the damn things. So slow to get these all out the door.

Off to the big Birmingham international record fair today

New challenge awaits Mrs N

So challenge 3 completed - the infamous Terence Trent D’Arby 2nd album under a tenner - this is the deluxe vinyl with a booklet too - didn’t find challenge 4 - the Knack debut- as only copy I saw was a £40 promo ! Great morning at the fair - few bargains too

IMG_5130.jpeg

So a nice little haul - no particular order - but very pleased with that Colin Blunstone of The Zombies fame - U.K. porky 1st press for a fiver in great condition- finally got round to replacing my skipping copy of Ram with another U.K. 1st press - and well happy with that Elvis Costello compilation that I foolishly traded in when I got the cd version! And my ongoing quest to get the U.K. frankie goes to Hollywood 12 inches made it to number 2 - a whole £3

IMG_5131.jpegIMG_5132.jpegIMG_5133.jpeg

Back