Fresh Grabs

Where all did you hit? I am heading there in October

i went to Cheap Thrills downtown (near McGill) two days ago but didn’t pick up anything. Today i did a big walk with my daughter from Sherbrooke metro, hit Beatnick and went all the way to Mont Royal to hit Aux 33 Tours. These three places are pretty good and have been around forever, though Cheap Thrills just moved down a floor from their old spot, so no more going up those iconic crooked stairs. I haven’t been to Atom Heart in a while but that place is a minor walk in the other direction from Sherbrooke metro (it’s a smaller but specialized spot). We hit a bunch of other fun shops on St Denis snd Mont Royal on the way (a trendy korean product corner store, a mushroom (not drug related) theme store, a manga lounge, huge boardgame store, coffee shop, a french comic book store and came back to the hotel with a bunch of dumplings for dinner).

A mid-week 'haul' of deliveries came in today.

Andy Hay – Children Of The Sun (Private Pressing, 2023 Limited First Pressing)

I had to take a photo of this one in isolation as its just so incredibly impressive. A while ago (maybe during lockdown) I saw a British jazz musician, Andy Hay, on Bandcamp that self-released a record with hand painted covers. I stupidly didnt give the music a listen and passed on it. The other day I saw Andy had posted another album on bandcamp and I was blown away by what I heard. I put the order in and a treasure trove of goodies turned up. In addition to the 2LP's it also includes a hand painted cover (each one is therefore different but fits the theme, an additional wall art painting, a booklet of 'liner notes' and comments from the group, and a personalised hand written message of thanks from Andy. THIS is a musician that clearly takes pride in his craft, WOW!!!

IMG_0532.JPG

Joe Henderson - Tetragon (Milestone/CBS, 1968 First UK Pressing)
L'J IV - An Elizabethan Songbook (CBS, 1969 First Pressing)
The Beatles - I Feel Fine (Parlophone, 1964 First 7" Pressing)
The Moody Blues - From The Bottom Of My Heart (Decca, 1965 First 7" Pressing)
David Bowie - The Laughing Gnome (Deram, 1973 First 7" Pressing)

I saw a cheap copy of the Elizabethan Songbook online and went for it, its now my 3rd copy which I plan on using as a swap. Joe Henderson's Tetragon is an album I have been hunting for a while now but the US pressing rarely pops up here in the UK, but I jumped at the chance of getting this first UK pressing. Cant wait to dig in. The 7" records were a freebie which I thought was nice!

IMG_0534.JPG

The first time I heard it I had the same reaction as I did to the end of Bewlay Bros: "He's fucking with me, right? David Bowie is fucking with me, personally, with this shit?"

Really? I always thought that was an awesome tune! It’s not really all the quirky or weird either?

Now had you said Kooks I’d have got it more.

Really? I always thought that was an awesome tune! It’s not really all the quirky or weird either?

Now had you said Kooks I’d have got it more.
that I'M HUNGRY I'M STARVING FOR ME GRAVYYYYYYY thing at the end just ruins it for me every time. i love the rest of the song but that fucking outro ugh

No photo, but I raided my dad’s CD collection when I was home. He’s planning on getting rid of most of what he has, so I took 5kg worth of them home!

Lots of 60’s and 70’s staples, plus some good modern stuff - my mum loved listening to new stuff, so I’d always get her new albums for her birthday.
Is he just planning on dropping them off at a goodwill or something? If so make sure you bring them by a trade-in place first. My mom did the same thing earlier this year, and asked me to help bring a few hundred CD's up to goodwill. I brought them by Amoeba first, they picked through it and took half, and I got around $150 credit. Even if you think "who'd want these?" they're probably still worth a few bucks each and that adds up.

Is he just planning on dropping them off at a goodwill or something? If so make sure you bring them by a trade-in place first. My mom did the same thing earlier this year, and asked me to help bring a few hundred CD's up to goodwill. I brought them by Amoeba first, they picked through it and took half, and I got around $150 credit. Even if you think "who'd want these?" they're probably still worth a few bucks each and that adds up.
I think he was going to drop them off at a charity shop. I think he can get quotes on online places though. Will tell him, thanks for the tip!

Back