Fresh Grabs

357808760_10159603984166167_725181008930724285_n.jpg

Anyone ordered from Juno UK recently? Wondering if their international packaging has gotten any better. Considering a small order.

I order from them pretty regularly. Their packaging isn't amazing, but I've also had surprisingly few issues despite that.

I did order a box set from them quite some time ago and that thing was packaged like a tank, but their 1 and 2 LP mailers haven't changed.

came back from new york today with a big stack of records in the suitcase, and a smaller one waiting for me at home. people look at me sideways when i say you can still find great records in NYC but i almost always clean up!
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 11.53.40 PM.png
only discovered shizuka recently, and it's already a deep fascination. somewhere between galaxie 500, les rallizes denudes, and jandek. i'd feared i'd missed out on two recent reissues, both sold out at the source but ergot records in the east village had the goods. can't wait to hear the arthur russell, the positive buzz is deafening!
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 11.53.47 PM.pngfirst two (salenta + topu's moon set, moon rise and dawuna's glass lit dream are also ergot finds—both imports that sold out at the source and which i haven't been able to find a US distributor for. both are perfect for late-night moods, albeit in very different ways. the rhys chatham is a longtime fave, transportive guitar maximalism that is so frustratingly underrated...
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 11.53.56 PM.png
the techniques are one of my all-time fave rocksteady vocal groups, truly sublime music. (what were they thinking with that cover though??)
the other two are new-to-me pickups from A-1 records, my favorite shop in NY. i love going in there with time to kill, taking up a giant stack of interesting-looking records to the listening station, and finding things i'd never heard of. light traps (the artist is "naùx") is funky early-80s downtown stuff with a no-wave edge, a bit like if bill laswell's material or the golden palominos had aged better? white light's playing in a band is charmingly ramshackle post-velvets guitar pop (no bass!) from belgium, seems like these guys anticipated the c86 sound by three or four years.
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 11.54.05 PM.png
pacific is a bootleg, but an astonishingly well-produced one, and typically trades for a lot more than i dropped. i have a beat-up OG of tell mama but these "original chess masters" pressings from the 80s are the ones to get if you don't want to sink stupid money getting a clean early pressing. don cherry sleeve is a 1st pressing, sleeve is a bit mangy but the disc is actually in really good shape. at $35, another steal at A-1, how do they get away with it??
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 11.54.13 PM.png
luster is gorgeous new droney folk stuff (a more gentle third ear band, perhaps?), sold out everywhere but i wrote the label asking if they had any extras and they very graciously obliged. especially proud of the $14 copy of all natural lemon and lime flavors' turning into small, a great 90s shoegaze album that has recently gone scarce. found at a mount pleasant, MI music shop through some very creative google searching, it took several phone calls and texts to procure but so worth it.

needless to say, i have some really wild listening ahead of me this week!!

...this officially brings me to 150 Sun Ra-credited releases, according to the Discogs machine.
Wowza's this is insane!

I was kicking myself a few months ago. An ebay seller listed a handful of OG Ra records what with hand drawn covers (i've always dreamed of getting one of these). Most went for silly money but 1 sold for just over £150 (expensive but way less than they usually go for) and another with hand pasted cover went for just over £50.

Ebay was playing up and wouldnt accept my bids and the time ran out. I messaged the guy after and apparently it was something that others had messaged him about as well, so someone really lucked out.

Miles Davis - 'Four' & More - Recorded Live In Concert (CBS, 1966 First Pressing)
Arnett Cobb - Party Time (Prestige/Esquire, 1966 First UK Pressing)
L'J IV - An Elizabethan Songbook (CBS, 1969 First Pressing)
Joe Pass - For Django (United Artists, 1975 Pressing)

A few cheapo carboot finds from last week.

IMG_0377.JPG

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto - Live At Misty '77 (Flying Disk, 1977 First Pressing)
Afro Funk - Body Music (Kabana Records, 1975 First Pressing)
Bird Curtis Quintet - Needs B (Jazzagression, 2018 First Pressing)
Laurie Johnson, The London Philharmonic Orchestra & The London Jazz Orchestra - Synthesis (Columbia, 1970 First Pressing)
McCoy Tyner - Trident (Milestone, 1975 First Pressing)
The Tony Kinsey Quintet - Play A "Jazz At The Flamingo" Session (Decca, 1957 First Mono Pressing) - Sleeve

A mixed bag of Japanese jazz, afro-funk, 'discovered' tapes, etc. Im fortunate enough to have an original pressing of the Curtis Bird Quintet's debut release (only 99 pressed back in 1968) and this release was their second studio recording that never saw the light of day at the time as the label fell through after recording. I have the VMP McCoy Tyner on its way to me but this was such a steal it was worth getting to compare!

IMG_0378.JPG

Back