Fresh Grabs

Not until Friday lol!

im-from-the-future-michael-j-fox.gif

FYI, the Blur LP says "Made in Germany" on the back of the sleeve, run-outs indicate Optimal. My copy sounds pretty good. Generally quiet with a few very short static hits between tracks (at two spots on side 1), but nothing that affects the music. Didn't listen on headphones though, so I may have missed things, but I would definitely have heard major issues.

I enjoyed the album itself. Nice set of tracks. Good record.

hit the half price books after the movies today and came away with two faves that are both way overdue for a reissue.
086643DA-F8C3-458C-B84B-B2DC0936ECB4.jpeg31069517-EFEB-4E73-B32E-587E0F5EF5F0.jpeg
KARP is one of thee greatest heavy albums ever IMHO, already have a well-loved copy that i’m happy to upgrade.

the Mary Lou Williams is a longtime want, a great 70s progressive jazz album—and what a cover!

the price was a little above what i’d hoped to spend but i couldn’t resist getting a copy signed by the maestra herself. plus, i should be able to sell my old KARP LP to cover the cost of both…

Back at work after three weeks of vacations. A few boxes were waiting for me on my desk, mostly VMP stuff and We Jazz magazines. I was one of the lucky ones who could swap for the Vanguard Anthology and I am glad I did. Packaging is great and the few records I listened to on Spotify were really interesting. Long Life Jazz and Outkast are another swaps. Gravediggaz a replacement, Monk's my only track I kept and I have been waiting for Fiona's represses for a while so I could grab both.

PXL_20230717_080051609.jpg
PXL_20230717_080122116.jpg

I read We Jazz Magazine 6 during my vacations and, despite some articles written in strange way, I found it very interesting. There were a lot of names, places and records to search for so I decided to purchased the issues I was missing. Volume 2 with John Coltrane is on its way too so I'll have the complete serie.

PXL_20230717_080156952.jpg

hit the half price books after the movies today and came away with two faves that are both way overdue for a reissue.
View attachment 177924View attachment 177925
KARP is one of thee greatest heavy albums ever IMHO, already have a well-loved copy that i’m happy to upgrade.

the Mary Lou Williams is a longtime want, a great 70s progressive jazz album—and what a cover!

the price was a little above what i’d hoped to spend but i couldn’t resist getting a copy signed by the maestra herself. plus, i should be able to sell my old KARP LP to cover the cost of both…
Listening to the Karp album for the first time. It’s amazing, right up my street. Seems to be meltingly expensive on Discogs, though.

This showed up today. I clued in to this one only recently, but I've had it in my regular streaming rotation in the car for the last month or so. I think I scored one of the last signed copies from her bandcamp. This one is flying under the radar but it really shouldn't. Some solid soul on this.

IMG_0254.JPG

Sorry to be clogging the grabs thread but too many exciting things are coming through my door lately!
1689657922154.png
Bedhead is a band that I've held close for the better part of three decades—to me, they have one of the most succinct and impeccable discographies in indie rock. Setting aside current TikTok/RYM slowcore revivalism, their music has a modest, unadorned quality that doesn't seem to age, a quality I associate with artists like The Feelies, the Vulgar Boatmen, Opal, Young Marble Giants. Their records reward close listening, especially when you're trying to parse their idiosyncratic lyrics, but they also work beautifully as a backdrop for Sunday morning laundry folding or office drudgery. I'll never tire of these albums.

I've had the beautifully presented (but poorly-pressed) Numero Group box set for a long time, but couldn't resist when originals of their entire discography came up on eBay recently. Turns out I was able to sell the OOP box for above the combined cost of these three LPs and an early 7" 😌. Based is the seller who starts their auctions at $9.99 🙌

The package came in today and I was ecstatic to find that these are immaculate copies, inside and out—it feels like they have been waiting for 25-30 years (!) to enter my loving care.

Take this copy of their final album, Transaction de Novo. I always love inspecting the area around the spindle hole on used records, to get a sense of how previous owners interacted with the album before it made its way to me. In this case, there's just one single stray mark on the B-side—it's likely the original owner never played more than the first side of the album. Looking forward to putting some more mileage on these.

1689659895575.png

Last edited:
Delivered today (after being delayed for weeks). I guess it's my fault for not reading the description more closely, the POPs are encased in plastic with a fake LP & album cover. I was expecting freestanding POPs, and couldn't wait to put Chris with my Pearl Jam ones and spin Temple of the Dog... but, these are screwed into the back of the case. The POPs could be removed if I wanted to take it apart, but they have screw holes in the backs of their heads. I'm kind of disappointed, but it's still a fun piece of merch that I will hang on a wall somewhere. I do wish they'd make standalone ones.

1689969003378.jpeg

Delivered today (after being delayed for weeks). I guess it's my fault for not reading the description more closely, the POPs are encased in plastic with a fake LP & album cover. I was expecting freestanding POPs, and couldn't wait to put Chris with my Pearl Jam ones and spin Temple of the Dog... but, these are screwed into the back of the case. The POPs could be removed if I wanted to take it apart, but they have screw holes in the backs of their heads. I'm kind of disappointed, but it's still a fun piece of merch that I will hang on a wall somewhere. I do wish they'd make standalone ones.

View attachment 178281
They shoulda included an actually 7” that you could listen to.

How can you not love Plaid Room? These were boxed up like a tank ready for any pissed off Postal Workers it encounters along the way!

IMG_20230722_181545.jpg
IMG_20230718_172741.jpgIMG_20230722_181847.jpg

Strange Daisy surprised the hell out of me with a bunch of freebies on top of the 50% off sale.. I only bought 1 lp, 1 tape and 1 7" but got more freebies then what I paid for. Out of the freebies I only know about the Laura Fisher but it's a good one!

IMG_20230722_173703.jpg

Lastly, two ebay purchases.. Made In Britain (Compilation) test press along with Irish Heartbeat which are both fun listens.

Then a PIAPTK Lot which I got for around $10 and truthfully just wanted the Golden Boots Night Of The Living Fest lathe but there's probably some other decent stuff in the lot.

IMG_20230722_181250.jpg

Busy week
Bettie Serveet arrived on Tuesday. VMP Rock plus Threebies arrived on Friday. So far only listened to the Runaways which sounds great, as a BoomBoom rock record should.
IMG_1679.jpg

Went into Toronto yesterday, had lunch with some friends and then hit up a couple of record stores.
The English Beat was in a cheapie bin, sleeve is beat up but vinyl is clean. Wooden Shjipps what just a random grab in the used bin.
Finally picked up a copy of Patti Smith - Horses (Speakers Corner), been meaning to do that for awhile. Also just finished Steve Turner's memoirs Mudride, so I grabbed Mudhoney - Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge 30th ann. expanded reissue.
IMG_1683.jpg

Last edited:
A nice pair of grabs from last week. Another Laura Marling one. This was the album that got me into her music and is still a big personal favourite. I’m only missing her debut album now.

The other is a great non album EP from a perennially underrated act.

IMG_6406.jpeg

Last edited:
McCoy Tyner - Trident (Milestone, 2023 Vinyl Me Please Pressing)
Dorothy Ashby - The Jazz Harpist (Regent, 1957 First Pressing)
The 3 Sounds - Bottoms Up! (Blue Note, 1960 First Stereo Pressing)
Lee Morgan - Taru (Blue Note, 1980 First Pressing)

A mid-week haul with some real gems! Looking forward to digging in. I have an OG pressing of the McCoy Tyner so im intrigued to see how the VMP pressing holds up.

IMG_1236.JPG

Back