Fresh Grabs

Hey Fresh Grabs gang, does anyone have a butcher cover 2nd state? I may have just grabbed one VG+ for $30. It’s got all of the markers but it’s hard to see if Ringos turtle neck is poking through.

View attachment 166625

The biggest tell( as far as I know) is that the cover is 1/8 smaller than other capitol 60s pressings.
View attachment 166623

Thoughts??

What the fuck $30???

Gang Starr - Full Clip

I've been looking for this 4LP for a while, and found this somewhat beaten up copy in one of my favourite shops in Copenhagen. Had a chat with the great owner and he ended up giving it me for free! 3 spins in the Humminguru to wash away the dusk/mould and it sounds pretty tasty. In the rare quiet moments it's a little crackly here and there but it really plays well 99% of the time. Dead chuffed.

20230211_162147.jpg

The Graham Bond Organization – There's A Bond Between Us (Columbia, 1965 First Mono Pressing)
Howard Riley – Flight (Turtle Records, 1971 First Pressing)
The Dave Brubeck Quartet – Jazz: Red Hot And Cool (Columbia/Philips, 1955 First Netherlands Pressing)

A mixed bag here. I was reading an old interview with Graham Bond just the other day so when this came up I jumped at it! The eagle-eyed might recognise Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce on the cover, this was the group they were in just before they set up Cream. The Howard Riley is now the second copy that I own, I saw it listed for £20 which is a steal considering it averages for £96 on Discogs....going straight to my 'swaps' pile. Finally, a Brubeck album that I have been looking for and came up as part of a bundle deal...

IMG_2740.JPG

Jeff Kruger - Jazz At The Flamingo (Tempo, 1957 First Pressing)

Just over a couple of weeks ago a record shop here in the UK sold an insane collection of rare British jazz, and a couple of British collector's here in London (one runs his own label) pretty much bought half each. There didnt look to be a huge amount in terms of numbers but I do know 1 person paid £10k for his stack (I might be wrong but it looked to be less than 20 records). 1 record was Jeff Kruger Presents Jazz At The Flamingo, a rare session featuring the creme of British jazz, released on the Tempo label. Tempo released some of the best jazz at the time but in incredibly low numbers and their tapes were destroyed in the 70's so there isnt really any chance of decent reissues (tricky situation with the licenses as well). Anyway, fast forward to last week and I randomly popped onto facebook marketplace (haven't done so in years) and saw that someone was selling a ton of Brubeck records for next to nothing. As I was scrolling I double taked when I saw a copy of the Jazz At The Flamingo. I quickly messaged asking if she would sell just 1 of the Brubecks with this and she agreed. I still cant believe how lucky I got!

IMG_2741.JPG

Michael Garrick Quintet With Shake Keane And Joe Harriott – Anthem (Argo, 1965 First 7" Pressing)
The Sound Of Surprise by Whitney Balliett (Pelican, 1963)

A couple of final bits. "Anthem" adds to my ever-growing 7" stack by Michael Garrick. An instagram user posted the Whitney Balliett book the other day and after chatting to him about it, he ended up sending it to me to read!! Incredibly nice of him and really unexpected! Cant wait t dig in.

IMG_2742.JPG

Alright, so this post is beyond a long time coming. Life has been crazy..in a good way..and I haven't had a chance to properly thank @scotthilk for his generosity in the PIF thread. I was finally able to open this and check out what he sent!
IMG20230212124207.jpg
I don't even know where to start. This definitely exceeded any expectations I had. I am so grateful and can't wait to dive into these goodies. Thank you @scotthilk for taking the time to put this together and sending it to me! I will be enjoying these very soon

Early birthday from my wife and son (who won't be here for my actual birthday - so today was our chance to go to the record store together!)

20230212_135837.jpg

The Iron Maiden was his favourite album cover on one of the wall displays, so I grabbed that one as a special pick specifically from him - the rest were all my own picks.

Early birthday from my wife and son (who won't be here for my actual birthday - so today was our chance to go to the record store together!)

View attachment 166955

The Iron Maiden was his favourite album cover on one of the wall displays, so I grabbed that one as a special pick specifically from him - the rest were all my own picks.
Classic Riggs artwork and a banger of an album

Alright, so this post is beyond a long time coming. Life has been crazy..in a good way..and I haven't had a chance to properly thank @scotthilk for his generosity in the PIF thread. I was finally able to open this and check out what he sent!
View attachment 166947
I don't even know where to start. This definitely exceeded any expectations I had. I am so grateful and can't wait to dive into these goodies. Thank you @scotthilk for taking the time to put this together and sending it to me! I will be enjoying these very soon
Enjoy! Nice haul!

Just as a reminder, Captain Fantastic is from @BazookaTooth

Classic Riggs artwork and a banger of an album

It was a pretty easy hell yeah when he showed me which one he was looking at. Streamed it at my old job somewhat frequently so will be nice to spin it at home now. Took me about 40 years to finally dig into Maiden, and this is only the second in the stacks so there is still some awesome to be had yet too!

It was a pretty easy hell yeah when he showed me which one he was looking at. Streamed it at my old job somewhat frequently so will be nice to spin it at home now. Took me about 40 years to finally dig into Maiden, and this is only the second in the stacks so there is still some awesome to be had yet too!

It's classic golden age maiden. Everything from number of the beast to seventh son are unassailable classics (my personal favorite is somewhere in time or piece of mind, with live after death coming in close second). Avenged sevenfold does a cover of "flash of the blade" from powerslave that's pretty great.

Back