Fresh Grabs

After a Q4 no-buy, I WENT HAM

January Acquisitions

PIF claims

alt-J - An Awesome Wave
Hikaru Utada (ヒカル宇多田) - BADモード
Yob - The Illusion of Motion

20230201_002508.jpg

Thank you to @Jan, @zomgbear, and @Hemotep for these, respectively. @zomgbear's was more of surprise gift that I wasn't expecting, mostly because I pointed it out to him in (what was once) JQBX.

Ambient/MFM pickups

Ramzi - Hyphea
Suso Saíz - Rainworks
Shiho Yabuki (矢吹紫帆) - The Body is a Message of the Universe (からだは宇宙のメッセージ)
The Zenmenn & John Moods - Hidden Gem

20230201_002053.jpg

Ramzi is a house/Balearic musician from Montreal, Canada. Her MFM debut is a solid entry for the label, although a little different than the typical MFM flavor.
To my chagrin, I used Discogs for the first time in over a year to purchase a record, which was this Suso Saíz 2xLP. I'm a bit salty that it isn't a gatefold like all of the other MFM 2xLP releases. Still, it was a wantlist item for over two years, and I'm glad to have gotten it for $17 shipped.
MP pointed out the reissue of the Shiho Yabuki record, in which an abridged version of the first song "Tomoshibi (灯)" is on the stellar Kankyo Ongaku compilation from LitA. I ended up purchasing a used copy at another Portland record store for a few dollars less. Love.
I didn't quite have this Zenmenn and John Moods collaboration in my top50 last year, but maybe it should've been. Either way, highly recommended for downtempo, AIR, and Gigi Masin listeners.

Modern Classical/Avantgarde pickups

Gavin Bryars - The Sinking of the Titanic
Cheri Knight - American Rituals
Bernard Parmegiani - De Natura Sonorum
Christina Vantzou - No. 5

20230201_002245.jpg

Superior Viaduct continuing to release quality reissues, with Gavin Bryars's torrentially moving The Sinking of the Titanic being the latest made available. It's also the first that has a polylined inner from what I've experienced.
This one from Cheri Knight is an archival release that was also a selection for the Outer Sounds vinyl subscription service from about half a year ago. Art pop/post-minimalist/spoken word/experimental music, just what I like. Found on sale at Mississippi Records for $12. Recommended for Laurie Anderson listeners.
Bernard Parmegiani's De Natura Sonorum is one of the quintesential musique concrète compositions. Recommended, but not without caution. Recently given a repress.
MP pointed out this recent Christina Vantzou record which was immediate enjoyment from the first few tracks. A hybrid of electroacoustic/dark ambient/field reocords/modern classical.

Miscellaneous pickups

Carla Dal Forno - Come Around
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada
Broadcast - The Future Crayon
Broadcast - Work and Non Work
Circuit Des Yeux - In Plain Speech [clear]
Alice Coltrane - Ptah, the El Daoud

20230201_001734.jpg

Carla Dal Forno's album from last year was one of my top50, but despite being a single LP it is not available for under $30 in most avenues. Amazon randomly provided me a $5 promotional credit, so I guess that was the motivating factor. Frustratingly, they sent the wrong LP initially, but the replacement was as I expected (with a creased corner and small seam split).
I now have all the Broadcast titles that I enjoy.
I already owned In Plain Speech, but found this clear variant (which I thought was sold out years ago) for $10 sealed. Offloading the standard black press to a local.
Finally got a cheaper copy of the Alice Coltrane reissue from SoundOfVinyl. Has a ~4in seam split on top, so I requested for a refund/replacement.

I also decided on a Yellow Magic Orchestra long sleeve from MP on a whim, but for obvious reasons:

20230131_004718.jpg

Pins

Aphex Twin - ...I Care Because You Do
Björk - Post
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
Alice Coltrane - World Galaxy

Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See
Swans - Filth
Talk Talk - Talk Talk EP
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
Television - Marquee Moon
20230122_042126.jpg

All acquired from MP.

Last edited:
This years focus is concentrating on the want list, and putting funds towards that curation............been wanting this one for a while
View attachment 165789
such as great record, and definitely one I hope to get an OG of someday. masters of their first two records are long gone so a good original seems well worth a splurge

Took a sorely needed mental health day and went to the antique store with all the good stuff only to find…normally priced records? Like…Beatles stuff for 40. $150 for DSotM MoFi. Discogs level pricing on a bunch of new arrivals. So I grabbed some cheap goodies (highlighted by a truly bizarre record of Vincent Price reading Ghost Stories) and then I saw this for $25…pretty sure it’s an original press mono. Small miracles.

image.jpg

Back