Fresh Grabs

Oh nice, this is the box set, right? I picked this up cheap on ebay a few months back and love it. I knew the individual records existed but never knew they released it as a set until I stumbled across it.
Indeed it is. I just happened to be checking something on my phone when Superfly sent out the email and i managed to only order the Art Blakey haha

I have two locals up in my neck of the woods, and the second just reopened for business a couple weeks ago. Finally stopped in today to pick some records, but he’s having a hard time. Not much new stock because he doesn’t really have the funds to buy new stock and is just trying to stay afloat right now. I hope things turn around for him in the next few months.
EB450A03-5CDF-440D-B0F7-66943A5B4BF7.jpeg

Hit an estate sale today that easily had 1,000 records to dig through. Can't recall ever seeing anything quite like it. Nothing earth shattering, but some decent stuff. I picked up 50 records for $70, plus 2 CD sets. Most of the vinyl is in surprisingly good (as in VG+ or better) condition, but I've learned to be very selective about that, so left behind some good titles. Highlights:

ES1.jpgES2.jpg

Listened to that Climax Blues Band album and it's great! The Allman Bros. 2LP Fillmore is in a lot better shape than anything I've got. Guess I'd have to say it was worth getting up in the dark and then standing in line in the cold for an hour before the sale. :D (At least that's what I'm telling myself!!)

Most of my bits for Sept/Oct have landed now with just a few still in the wind as postal services still struggle to catch up with backlogs. Here's what's arrived since last time:

IMG_9149.jpg
Top: A couple of Blank Forms Editions reissues of Masayuki Takayanagi New Direction Unit's Axis/Another Revolvable Thing Vols. 1&2 and some more experimental guitar work from Loren Connors joined here by Daniel Carter on reeds and trumpet on Vol. VII of Connors' Departing of a Dream series.
Bottom: Some Evan Parker pieces. Monoceros and ...with Birds reissued by Treader and Evan appears on this outstanding live set under Binker and Moses' direction. Fun story, when I explained to Mrs Moore that Evan Parker with Birds was an album of solo saxophone improvising around field recordings of birdsongs, she insisted, "You've got more money than fucking sense". Priceless.

IMG_9150.jpg
Top: Roswell Rudd et al with Strength & Power; Natural Information Society & Bitchin Bajas with Automaginary and Mako Sica Plays Invocation.
Bottom: Rob Mazurek's Exploding Star Orchestra with Stars Have Shapes on Delmark; Fire! Orchestra with Ritual and Honest Jon's had one of these 2014 Idris Ackamoor Paris Quartet with The Periphery Of The Periphery kicking about still so I added it to my collection.

IMG_9151.jpg
Top: Some Peter Brötzmann adjacent stuff here. A superb trio with Song Sentimentale; Brötzmann joined by Turkish band Konstrukt next on The Message: Live At Kargart in Istanbul and then Konstrukt's latest, Eastern Saga, with Otomo Yoshihide on guitar and turntables.
Bottom: Finnish label We Jazz keep putting out superb contemporary jazz. This string heavy album, Drought by AINON is their latest killer; A reissue from Australian label Survival Research of this Horace Tapscott solo album and solo saxophone on this Black Editions release of Makoto Kawashima's Homo Sacer.

IMG_9152.jpg
Top: Three from the wonderful Firehouse 12 Records. Tyshawn Sorey's vinyl only Part IV of the Pillars project; Myra Melford's Snowy Egret with The Other Side Of Air and Tayler Ho Bynum leads a monstous amount of talent with Enter The Plustet.
Bottom:
Three from Honest Jon's distributed Smalltown Supersound Actions for Free Jazz series. Mats Gustafsson & Christian Marclay and a couple from Joe McPhee with either Paal Nilssen-Love or Lasse Marhaug.

IMG_9165.jpg
Top: A bunch of 12s/EPs here. Matthew Halsall is a favourite of mine from the UK scene. His Gondwana label have yet to disappoint; Emma-Jean Thackray with her outstanding Um Yang and Maisha dropped a spectacular 17 minute long surprise on RSD with Open the Gates.
Bottom: Another label I keep an eye on, Denmark's El Paraiso offered up this excellent EP from Fra Det Onde Feat. The Legendary Emil Nikolaisen; Kutiman's latest release didn't quite bowl me over but it led me to this older release, Don't Hold Onto The Clouds which did and another RSD release, this one Don Cherry with Cherry Jam.

IMG_9186.jpg
Top: This image is bits that don't fit into any other category really. First the RSD release of the New Orleans banger, The Wild Tchoupitoulas and their self-titled album. The whole family love these funk fuelled floor fillers. Next, oud player Rabih Abou-Khalil with the excellent Bukra. Blue Camel is the white whale from him but it's ever so expensive. This one often reaches quite high prices too but, I got lucky and was the sole bidder on this on eBay with just £10 securing it. And last up on this row, phenomenal field recordings from Maya Deren when she visited Haiti to make her films. Wonderful and unique sounds on Voices of Haiti.
Bottom:
Soul II Soul were most definitely my jam as the kids say and Club Classics Vol. One was the soundtrack to my life when I was 14/15. I've been looking for a copy for ages but like any good pop album, they were all played to shit in their heyday so consequently sound like pants 30 years later. This was a welcome reissue and although vinyl colour is the absolute last factor in my buying decisions, I have to confess, I was quite smitten by the gold and black swirl on this one's mock-ups. Next, @Yer Ol' Uncle D recommended Jimmy Bell's Still In Town and with good reason. It's an album and band I'd never heard of before but having streamed it several times, I'm happy to now have it in my collection. Finally in this pic, an RSD title I haven't heard much chatter about. This is John Lurie (of Lounge Lizards, Jim Jarmusch movies and Criterion fishing show fame), in the persona of fictional bluesman, Marvin Pontiac. If you like The Blues and don't mind a touch of the avant-garde, give this record a try, it's really great.

IMG_9204.jpg
J-Jazz all around here. All four Terumasa Hino reissues. I can't quite tell if these were RSD associated or not, some sellers had them lumped in, others didn't and I ended up getting these piecemeal from Amazon UK as the prices dropped around the £20 each mark. Bottom row also feature a couple of Le Très Jazz Club reissues which have been on my Amazon wishlist since their release. They eventually dropped around £15 each so Step! by Naosuke Miyamoto and Physical Structure from George Otsuka Quintet were both snapped up this month.

IMG_9214.jpg
Top: Six from the ever-excellent 577 Records here. Cooper-Moore & Stephen Gauci with Vol.1 of their Conversations first; Federico Ughi with Transoceanico in the middle and Daniel Carter et al with Radical Invisibility finishing the row off.
Bottom: The excellent Rachel Musson leading Shifa Live at Cafe OTO here in London; More Daniel Carter and his pals with Electric Telepathy Vol.1 and Sabir Mateen takes the lead on Survival Situation.

IMG_9215.jpg
Top: I missed out on the excellent RSD Sun Ra boxset. Despite having it in three baskets, luck wasn't on my side so it never made it's way to any of my checkouts following site crashes galore. I was over the moon then that Strut released the reissue portions of the set independently and at a very reasonable £42 for this bundle. L-R: Dark Myth Equation Vibration; Horizon; Nidhamu.
Bottom: Three of the most recent International Anthem releases here. Jaimie Branch and Jason Nazary's collaboration, Anteloper with Tour Beats Vol.1; Makaya McCraven's Universal Beings E&F Sides and Carlos Niño & Miguel Atwood-Ferguson with Chicago Waves. I wish all of the U.S. Bandcamp sellers could use the shipping methods and prices IA do. It makes it very reasonable to import these and they somehow come via K7 here in the UK so there's never any customs charges either.

IMG_9222.jpg
Top: Kahil El’Zabar’s America the Beautiful. I love how El'Zabar has been melding a '70s free sound with modern contemporary over his last few releases. This one has the addition of Tomeka Reid on cello also whose work I love and wish more was available on record. Hamiett Bluiett appears on baritone sax, his final recording and the album is dedicated to him; It's only been 45 years since Alan Braufman's previous and debut album. This follow up, The Fire Still Burns is shaping up to be well worth the wait; A few of you may have heard of the last one on this row. A little known saxophone player, John Coltrane on this lovely album, A Love Supreme. I have the 3 Disc Complete Masters version from a few years back which I'll be keeping too for the extras but, this seems by all accounts like it will sound excellent.
Bottom: A long time waiting for the press to be finished and a long time floating around my local sorting office, This Quin Kirchner sophomore effort, The Shadows and the Light is a good one. I've heard from @Poly-Rythmo that the pressing may not be all that which is a shame so we'll see, hopefully not all are affected; a couple here from a Scottish trio with the quirky name, Free Nelson Mandoomjazz whose love for Albert Ayler equals that of Black Sabbath. Their influences are worn somewhat on their sleeves but I really like and completely recommend these dark, downtempo, droning pieces. Fans of Bohren may well dig these.

One more on another posting, unfortunately I can't fit in the last three.

Last edited:
IMG_9223.jpg
Three from Matt Ulery's Chicago based Woolgathering Records here. Dustin Laurenzi's latest, A Time and a Place. I love his hommage to Moondog on Astral Spirits from a few years back. I'm hoping this is just as good; Another appearance from Quin Kirchner here on Matt Ulery's Delicate Charms and Tim Haldeman's album of music and poetry dedicated to the people of Flint, Michigan, Open Water as a Child. I absolutely love the artwork here by Devin Ulery.

Three from Matt Ulery's Chicago based Woolgathering Records here. Dustin Laurenzi's latest, A Time and a Place. I love his hommage to Moondog on Astral Spirits from a few years back. I'm hoping this is just as good; Another appearance from Quin Kirchner here on Matt Ulery's Delicate Charms and Tim Haldeman's album of music and poetry dedicated to the people of Flint, Michigan, Open Water as a Child. I absolutely love the artwork here by Devin Ulery.
Damn, you know you've got some serious heat when you have to make an overflow post :ROFLMAO:

Great pick-ups buddy, some really interesting ones in there that I hadn't heard of until now.

Back