Fresh Grabs

Looking forward to hearing what you think of this one. I’ve been eying it for a while and waiting until someone who knows more about the genre than me gives it the thumbs up!
It’s a pretty great line up and the deluxe presentation is top notch. I know it’s also available on standard 12” in two volumes. Once I can spin it up I’ll report back.

My will power was ... absent today. I splurged at my lrs.

“New to me” vinyl (too to bottom, left to right)

McCoy Tyler - Nights of Ballads & Blues
Clifford Brown - Memorial Album ( VG+ media, Liberty press)
Dizzy Gillespie - Dizzy! (sealed but corner punched)
Gene Ammons - Goodbye (the cover is beat but the vinyl is in great shape)

B0CC5062-EE09-4E83-B2FE-EBBDBC2D99A6.jpeg

And I gorged on the Vital Vinyl series

John Coltrane Quartet - Ballads
Gil Evans Orchestra - Out of the Cool
Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests
Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth
Benny Carter and his Orchestra - Further Definitions.

99F6BF3B-8BA5-41D6-ABDF-ECF0A6024AE0.jpeg

It’s going to be a fun weekend!

I was traveling through the United States during the last month, so missed the whole VMP forum shutdown debacle. However, I did feed my record addiction. Bought exactly 30 records, 1 for every day I was there 😅

Face Records Brooklyn + Light in the Attic Records Seattle
Face Records is an amazing shop with only Japanese releases (thank god I don't live nearby or I really would always be broke). They have a sister shop in Shibuya Tokyo, from which they get most of their stock. Found a few Japanese Jazz records, from Toshiko Akiyoshi, Teramasu Hino and Hozan Yamamoto
Also found a beautiful Japanese pressing of the Alfie soundtrack, with that amazing title track played by Sonny Rollins
Lastly bought a City Pop record (Pearl Pierce). Would have bought way more if I had the money.
At Light in the Attic I got the recently released City Pop compilation.
IMG_20190530_200851.jpg

Jazz Record Center (Manhattan):
Great shop in Manhattan that focusses solely on Jazz records, new and second hand.
Baby Face Willete is a Classic Records Pressing
Milt Jackson and Vince Guaraldi are new reissues pressed at RTI
Tokyo Blues is a Liberty Press
Sonny Clark is a BN75 pressed at RTi, so hopefully it is better than most other BN 75s
Grant Green was actually gifted to me by a dear family friend. Also a BN 75
IMG_20190530_200707.jpg

Some pickups from stores I randomly walked by:

IMG_20190530_200559.jpg

Amoeba Hollywood:
Who doesn't know about Amoeba? I had been before and must say I liked the selection much better the first time I went. It seemed as if they mainly had new reissues and barely any second hand records. Still found some great stuff for god prices.
Morrison Hotel and Moondance are new reissues pressed at RTI from the original master tapes
Saxophone Colossus is also from the analog tapes, but pressed at QRP
Ella sings Gershwin is a 5 LP set, with a bonus Billie Holiday record (only $15 for basically 5 records!)
Rest are used Jazz records. I always love Count Basie+Joe Williams, John Handy I bought because my mother loves the title song. The Mel Torme record I never heard of, but it was a pristine Japanese copy for 4 bucks so I thought why not? Lastly is the record in the bottom right, which is a Japanese record by Fumiaki Miyamoto and Morio Maeda that I had never heard of. However it was only $3, so I thought I might as well take it with me.
IMG_20190530_200303.jpg

Freakbeat Records (Van Nuys):
Nice little shop in the Valley. Found my first ever Blue Note OG's, for $25 each. And two nice Blues albums
IMG_20190530_200750.jpg

I was traveling through the United States during the last month, so missed the whole VMP forum shutdown debacle. However, I did feed my record addiction. Bought exactly 30 records, 1 for every day I was there 😅

Face Records Brooklyn + Light in the Attic Records Seattle
Face Records is an amazing shop with only Japanese releases (thank god I don't live nearby or I really would always be broke). They have a sister shop in Shibuya Tokyo, from which they get most of their stock. Found a few Japanese Jazz records, from Toshiko Akiyoshi, Teramasu Hino and Hozan Yamamoto
Also found a beautiful Japanese pressing of the Alfie soundtrack, with that amazing title track played by Sonny Rollins
Lastly bought a City Pop record (Pearl Pierce). Would have bought way more if I had the money.
At Light in the Attic I got the recently released City Pop compilation.
View attachment 3959

Jazz Record Center (Manhattan):
Great shop in Manhattan that focusses solely on Jazz records, new and second hand.
Baby Face Willete is a Classic Records Pressing
Milt Jackson and Vince Guaraldi are new reissues pressed at RTI
Tokyo Blues is a Liberty Press
Sonny Clark is a BN75 pressed at RTi, so hopefully it is better than most other BN 75s
Grant Green was actually gifted to me by a dear family friend. Also a BN 75
View attachment 3962

Some pickups from stores I randomly walked by:

View attachment 3963

Amoeba Hollywood:
Who doesn't know about Amoeba? I had been before and must say I liked the selection much better the first time I went. It seemed as if they mainly had new reissues and barely any second hand records. Still found some great stuff for god prices.
Morrison Hotel and Moondance are new reissues pressed at RTI from the original master tapes
Saxophone Colossus is also from the analog tapes, but pressed at QRP
Ella sings Gershwin is a 5 LP set, with a bonus Billie Holiday record (only $15 for basically 5 records!)
Rest are used Jazz records. I always love Count Basie+Joe Williams, John Handy I bought because my mother loves the title song. The Mel Torme record I never heard of, but it was a pristine Japanese copy for 4 bucks so I thought why not? Lastly is the record in the bottom right, which is a Japanese record by Fumiaki Miyamoto and Morio Maeda that I had never heard of. However it was only $3, so I thought I might as well take it with me.
View attachment 3964

Freakbeat Records (Van Nuys):
Nice little shop in the Valley. Found my first ever Blue Note OG's, for $25 each. And two nice Blues albums
View attachment 3965

Freakbeat sometimes has amazing stuff. Nice job!

Mill City Sound in Hopkins had a 20% off used vinyl sale and I couldn’t pass on this boxset once I laid my eyes upon it.
RjnY83Z.jpg

Can’t wait to spin that “The Eleven.”
But this whole show is 👌❤️✌️

Fuck yeah, I’m so excited for this one.

View attachment 3755
Erm so yeah I bought another one on my way home from work...

Someone please stop me....

🤪🤪🤪

View attachment 3792
I have had an outrageous haul today! Super excited to be this well set up for the weekend.

View attachment 3802

Vault Package #33 - The White Stripes ‎– Icky Thump X (10th Anniversary Edition)
I recently signed up to the Vault and while I wait for my first official package I picked up this behemoth of a box set. Includes the deluxe 2lp (one is black with red splatter and the other is white with red splatter) Icky Thump album, The Red Demos (comp of unreleased Icky Thump demos), Icky Thump B-Sides (White vinyl), 8"x10" screen print, Icky Thump Photo Book and enamel Horse Double Pin Set.

View attachment 3804

Kishi Bashi - Omoiyari (White Indie pressing)
Super excited to listen to this, it was officially released today and its no doubt going to be amazing. The cover is fantastic, so simple but works so well.

Mark de Clive-Lowe - Heritage i (Red pressing)
Pre-empted @Skalap's pick for the first Needle & Grooves AOTM. I streamed both albums when they first came out and was impressed, at the time though I only thought to look through bandcamp and international shipping was too much for me. Since then its made its way across the pond and is easily found for a decent price (this cost £10 on discogs).

Juju (later know as 'Oneness of Juju') - Live at 131 Prince Street
This is a Japan only release featuring a set recorded in 1973 at Ornette Coleman's Gallery, 131 Prince Street, NY. For those that are interested, Ornette Coleman set up a loft gallery as a hub to allow the public to sit in on sessions and encourage artists to jam together (interestingly, years later John Coltrane planned to do the same thing in the Village but the idea fell through once he died).

View attachment 3813

William Onyeabor - Atomic Bomb (OG 1978 pressing)
Continuing on to try and get OG copies of all the William Onyeabor albums. This was his second release and arguably his biggest hit (Check it out in all its greatness here). This is an original 1978 Nigerian copy recorded and pressed at Enugu, Nigeria.

View attachment 3815

Benny Golson & The Philadelphians (OG 1959 on London Records)
This is actually a pretty difficult record to get hold of (and I got it at a steal - £5). Its such an amazing line-up with Benny Golson on tenor sax, Lee Morgan on trumpet, Ray Bryant on piano, Percy Heath on bass and Philly Joe Jones on drums. To put it into perspective, Lee Morgan joined the (Art Blakey) Jazz Messengers in 1958 and had released 'The Cooker' just 2 years prior to this album, so he really was in his prime.

Herbie Hancock at the Barbican
Not a record but tickets came today for Herbie Hancock at the Barbican as part of the EFG London Jazz Festival, super hyped for that!

Teodross Avery, Middle Kids and Kishi Bashi... New additions to my want list. I blame you three. First played on many albums I love, second are one of my favorite pop-rock band atm and I played the last this morning and my girlfriend told me that "it's a mix of Beatles and Pet Shop Boys". I asked her "you mean Beach Boys?" and she answered "yes, these boys, not the ones from the Pet Shop".

Teodross Avery, Middle Kids and Kishi Bashi... New additions to my want list. I blame you three. First played on many albums I love, second are one of my favorite pop-rock band atm and I played the last this morning and my girlfriend told me that "it's a mix of Beatles and Pet Shop Boys". I asked her "you mean Beach Boys?" and she answered "yes, these boys, not the ones from the Pet Shop".

And she knows about music. Just to make it clear (and in case she ends here and reads this post).

Back